Sign in to follow this  
uebs

Traffic AI

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I wonder why I have traffic problems...

Could it be the 29 moving trucks doing circles on a low density street...

I'm scared to interupt them...

They look like they're having so much fun :P

its being fixed, but i do find it amusing to watch a bus go from one end of the street U-turn go back U-turn etc. etc. a bus with 40 people on just going up and down the same street... bus driver must be earning a fortune in overtime, i had one doing it for 6 ingame days before he decided to go back to the depot lol

I've seen my school buses doing endless little loops around the corner and their bus garage. I wonder while all of them make their tiny rounds how do the students get to the school. Turning off and on the incrimanted garage solved the problem for short... Strange....

I had a pretty bad traffic jam once when an entire group of construction vehicles decided to park at a stop sign. Construction was halted completely, and emergency vehicles couldn't get to places in time. It was a disaster. At first I thought it was just the "under construction" buildings glitching out until I heard the sirens blaring and not going anywhere. Haven't had that problem since though.

I still find it funny that emergency vehicles behave just like the others even in the case of an emergency (i.e. stopping at stoplights).

• Original Poster
  • I had a garbage, recycle problem not all of it was being collected...

So I thought I would OUTSMART glassbox,

[ TRY 1 ]

I split my city in half, I put another dump and another recycle plant on the other side...this would cut down there time after they fill up to go back to the dump to unload...

Then I waited...lol, that was a waste of $, they did marginally better (the vehcicles criss crosed the map, they ended up all on one side :P)

[ TRY 2 ]

I'll just add more trucks so I doubled my fleet...

Why are the trucks leaving the city???, the trash you are collecting is in the city not outside...stop waisting time and stay inside the city!!!

Why would you drive a long block collect some bins, skip a bunch of houses then go to a different street!

[ TRY 3 ]

Apparently if you have a long entrace from highway into the city, the vehicles will go all the way out of your city and do a super long loop....

So I added a intersection, right at the entrace :P

Added more vehicles, this should surely work now...

Wha, wha why are you guys ending your shift early??!! there is still more rubbish to collect...and your shift isn't over...

******************************************************************************************

I ended up giving up up outsmarting GlassBox!!!

I just demolished all the building with trash and recycle bars :P

*sigh*

I was, SOMEHOW, able to resolve my traffic issues in one city by reworking some chunks of the city and adding more high density avenues, although now the city is stalled due to the lack of properly functioning regional utilities trading. It made me so happy that the traffic issue somehow stopped being silly. Sadly, I haven't fully been able to repeat this process.

One thing though, Do not zone anything right up against the highway connection, because it becomes a bit borked and stalls traffic forever.

I wonder why I have traffic problems...

Could it be the 29 moving trucks doing circles on a low density street...

I'm scared to interupt them...

They look like they're having so much fun :P

Why are trucks doing such a thing? I seem to remember EA/Maxis stating that vehicles and people would have destinations and not wander around and or disappear like in SC4. So much for new and improved it seems huh.

I had a city nearly burn to the ground because the fire trucks were just doing circles...  I ended up with 72 plots of rubble.  I heard todays update deals with traffic so hopefully this is over . :)

Traffic AI is sad. I had garbage trucks get stuck in their garages for three ingame days because they wouldn't make a right turn, but chose to turn left. The lane they tried to enter was packed with traffic.

Supply the intelligence the game lacks.  I have a large city and have no problems that cost me money because of traffic.  Try not putting any intersections before the halfway point on your main drag. Use dead end streets and feed to your main using big intersections.  No bus stops on the main, no schools.  I wouldn't use regional buses.  They generate traffic  I treat the main like a limited access highway.  I have no backups that get outside the city line, and never outbound.