Sign in to follow this  
morriswalters

Some obervations on the some gameplay mechanics

1 post in this topic Last Reply

I've been playing with a small map and have found some interesting things.  Some of this is probably known but I thought it might be nice to put it in one place to let people add and subtract from it.  My test city was just several zones with separate residential, commercial and industrial areas.  Each had one way in and out.

Freight is delivered to various entities in the game, both to retail and to trade containers.  It may be delivered between businesses.  You can watch this process by using the people view on the data panel.  There you can see freight moving and can see where it is delivered as well as when.  You can use this to spot bottlenecks and fix them.  So the "we need more places to ship freight" balloon may mean that it can't get to where it can deliver or that there may not be enough places to deliver too.

Worker's bring home money and happiness and shoppers spend money and bring home happiness.  This is somehow familiar. To satisfy shoppers completely you must have an excess of goods for a particular wealth class.  Shoppers come from homes which have money.  They go to the nearest commercial zones.  And go to the stores in the order that they find them.  So if you have a closed zone for commercial it will be more successful close to the entrance and less so further away.  One strategy that comes to mind if I am correct is to let the zone fill from the front so to speak.  Use roads of various density levels with the densest closest to the entrance.  Much like a Mall.  As an added bonus datum stores also sell souvenirs.  So tourists can be important for stores.  Shoppers are none to bright.  To be mos t effective you should guide them with transit.

You can see how many workers a business employs by hovering over the commercial building or industry building when their respective data panels are open.  It will also tell you how profitable they are.

The building density panels will show you how close to upgrading a entity is as well as how successful or happy.

That's all I have for now.  The data panels are pretty interesting.