Sign in to follow this  
Mr Saturn64

If you don't play SC2013 Would you if it had single player?

If You Don't play Sim City 2013, Would you if it Came Without Multiplayer?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Would You?

• Yes, that's the gam's only flaw
    • Yes, but it's not perfect still
    • No, I'm a social network junkie
    • No, other Reason
    • Maybe
    • Yes, but SC4 is still my preference
    • Other

40 posts in this topic Last Reply

There are a lot of other issues (small city plot size, the lack of the ability to connect cities accurately on the region map), but the game is also grossly overpriced. They really should have started at a price point of $39.99, or at worst, the traditional $49.99.

No, absolutely not. The simulation isn't working properly, power, water, and industry either don't function or aren't needed, and, as many others have said, the maps are too darn small.

However, offering a single-player mod would certainly be a step in the right direction. Do that, and fix the game so that it actually works, and they'll probably have tons of new customers. Of course, this is EA's lapdog we're talking about so this stuff is likely to happen, at least in the near future.

Before the game released my position would have been that I would buy the game if there was an offline component. Now that there is a bunch of other problems present besides the online requirement, I wouldn't buy the game until those problems were fixed also. Putting in an offline mode would be a good start, though.

I think a lot of the issues are caused by the online component; city trade, sharing resources, missing cities, incorrect regional RCI etc...

But despite that I'm still a 'No' because the traffic simulation looks horrendous, and the new 'simulation' aspect of this game has killed the city building component (you have to use statistics for larger cities).  I'd almost settle for the many many things missing from this game...but it has to at least become playable.

I just can't believe so much was sacrificed to gain so little.  I simply cannot support EA in this form of new age game design.

Sadly, no.

> No terrain Editing.

> No user-generated content

> City size is too small, regions may appear large but still play like a bunch of small plots.

> Agent simulation appear to be limited to 100k or so vs. the statistical method used in SC4 for millions - meaning the current game engine will never work right for city-sized populations.

> Power/water/garbage/sewer modeling are all simplified from previous games and yet still broken.

> Traffic is broken, also there are few transportation options right now besides roads.

Always-online is a deal breaker for me. So removing that requirement would be a start.

But this game has so much wrong with it for me to overlook, and the single biggest problem seems to be the game engine which I highly doubt will get tossed and re-built from the ground up at this point. The game as it stands now meets the vision of the development team as Lucy Bradshaw has stated. They may address some of the traffic issues, but the underlying simulation mechanics are likely to remain poor.

The creative stuff (maps, buildings, etc.) brought a lot of fun to the game for me. Without those in the new game I'm more likely to just keep playing SC4.

Nope.  Map sizes too small, don't like road size determining zone density, not enough transit options (no subways, highways, etc.), no terrain editing, no farms, and no way to create urban sprawl or large, interconnected metro areas.  Ultimately, to me SC2013 seems like a massive downgrade from SC4 in spite of the graphics upgrade.

No. The being online all the time is only part of the problem. The game is very limited in what it does, with the city size a massive problem. The main issue is I will not buy anything from EA greed, who need to be brought down to size. People need to make a stand to boycott companies like this for the sake of gaming in general, otherwise they will walk all over you.

No, the always on-internet connect is the LEAST of the problems with SimCity2013.  The game is broken beyond belief, the traffic, recycling, pollution, fire and police services, etc. etc. is what makes it not worth buying or playing.

try the java script hack you can play offline.... cant save but who cares... if you can max out a city in three hours and cant make an achievement solo ne ways there is no draw back not like you can expand the city

try the java script hack you can play offline.... cant save but who cares... if you can max out a city in three hours and cant make an achievement solo ne ways there is no draw back not like you can expand the city

note i only tried this approach because i used all of my 5 gb data download for the month from tmobile i had no choice

note i only tried this approach because i used all of my 5 gb data download for the month from tmobile i had no choice

and before you yell at me i bought three copies of the game on for my pc one laptop and one for my fiances pc

the poll is to limited in answers:

I already own the game but would prefer it to be offline

I already own the game but it needs an offline option  < my choice

ect

ect

I own simcity2013.

Online drm doesn't bother me, multiplayer doesn't bother me.

I'm not playing it because it's garbage.

No unless they removed the requirement for the constant online connection which is not, in itself, related to mutiplayer play. But they would also have to drastically improve the city plot size and also, from the sound of it, the whole traffic AI system, before it became a game worth buying for me. And even then I wouldnt pay the price asked for by Origin because I think its extortionate.

• Original Poster
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though people so plain about the game for not being like SC4. Granted, that's our game of focus, but that doesn't mea we should bash other games for being different.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though people so plain about the game for not being like SC4. Granted, that's our game of focus, but that doesn't mea we should bash other games for being different.

Agreed in principle. Unfortunately though I can't deny that EA's marketing is responsible for creating those expectations throughout the marketing campaign up to the month prior to release. If EA's marketing would have just had an honest focus on how SC2013 is different, where it is better, where it approaches what how, we would have a whole lot less of an issue out of created expectations. People would have taken the product as something new, and not as something next (so to speak).

But, that was a conscious strategic decision by EA. They wanted to use an existing customerbase as a catalyst for messaging, reception and exposure management. They elected to follow these methodologies. What pains me, is that when people proverbially punched through the marketing EA ignored it, classed such feedback as evil and jumped in a trench of Big Lie management. That's not just sad, that's also what ultimately kills brand value, which is really quite important for investment management - which EA relies on.

Your poll lacks too many options, so I didn't vote.

I may consider buying the title when -

* we can play and save offline;

* the game is opened to enhance it with custom modding and custom content.

* I do (want to) believe that all the current quirks and bugs could be fixed... the faster if the modding community were allowed to get involved.

Nope, not a chance in hell.  It would still be a pale shadow of the game I waited ten years for.  I won't give them a red cent until they confirm a Simcity 5 and acknowledge this wishlist:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though people so plain about the game for not being like SC4. Granted, that's our game of focus, but that doesn't mea we should bash other games for being different.

Agreed in principle. Unfortunately though I can't deny that EA's marketing is responsible for creating those expectations throughout the marketing campaign up to the month prior to release. If EA's marketing would have just had an honest focus on how SC2013 is different, where it is better, where it approaches what how, we would have a whole lot less of an issue out of created expectations. People would have taken the product as something new, and not as something next (so to speak).

But, that was a conscious strategic decision by EA. They wanted to use an existing customerbase as a catalyst for messaging, reception and exposure management. They elected to follow these methodologies. What pains me, is that when people proverbially punched through the marketing EA ignored it, classed such feedback as evil and jumped in a trench of Big Lie management. That's not just sad, that's also what ultimately kills brand value, which is really quite important for investment management - which EA relies on.

Really it comes down to this. If any game company is going to use an existing IP to sell a product (or 'service'... ick) then that company must remain true to the IP's core features.

EA could have called this game SimCity Online (my preferred title when describing it to others), but they didn't. The IP was misused and tricked a lot of people into buying a game they wouldn't have otherwise. And even for those that find the Online concept ok, the simulation portion of this game is pretty bad right now. Thus even more people are rightfully angry.

The fact that SC4 has way more features than the new game plays into this only in that it sets a certain expectation for a new entry in this series. If the question is asked "will you choose to play the new game" and "if not, why?" a large part of the answer in most cases seems to be this game just doesn't live up to its legacy, but it is marketed as if it will.

When they increase city tile size, remove the dead space between cities in a region, fix the pathing problems the AI has, then I might buy it. And that isn’t even half the stuff I would ultimately like to see, just what is mandatory for me.

• Original Poster
  • Granted, this seems like wishful thinking, but without multiplayer, a lot of the problems could be moddable, right?

Wow there were so many autocorrect mistakes in that post.

Really it comes down to this. If any game company is going to use an existing IP to sell a product (or 'service'... ick) then that company must remain true to the IP's core features.

EA could have called this game SimCity Online (my preferred title when describing it to others), but they didn't. The IP was misused and tricked a lot of people into buying a game they wouldn't have otherwise. And even for those that find the Online concept ok, the simulation portion of this game is pretty bad right now. Thus even more people are rightfully angry.

The fact that SC4 has way more features than the new game plays into this only in that it sets a certain expectation for a new entry in this series. If the question is asked "will you choose to play the new game" and "if not, why?" a large part of the answer in most cases seems to be this game just doesn't live up to its legacy, but it is marketed as if it will.

The really short version:

EA: only our wishes & wants matter. Customers are resources. We do not have to cater to them, we just have to build towards controlling them. 

Customers: awesome! I preorderded! 

If EA had been smart, they would not have lost themselves in to making it about them. The best businesses are the best because they make it and keep it about the customer (or who are the best at lying to the customer, but those businesses tend to hit & run and not seek dominance). 

Case in point, John Riccitiello plays games. Checks the competition's works. Does his homework, so to speak. But elects to make it about EA's wishes & wants. See the case in point?

The real irony, by the way, is that John got used. By EA itself, or rather by those who came before him but never left. Not set up to fail, but set up to be used. He's had ample warnings over time, but he elected to play the "game". Trouble is, when you try to be a shark in a pool where there's only other sharks there comes a point where you have to realise that you are potential food too. 

They put it into a box that says "Sim City" on it, and they have a label on the CD that says "Sim City" on it but it not in fact a Sim City game.  They can call it Sim City all they want, but I saw the IGN 10 hours live gameplay and I can tell you beyond the shadow of doubt that it is NOT a Sim City game.  There is way too much mising from it, things that if it was not always online would redeem it, but they are not there or if they are they are broken beyond repair and hope.

I will stick with Sim City 4 until they come with a game that is at least as good as Sim City 4 if not better and not just some person's re-imagining of it.  REAL Sim City or bust!