Sign in to follow this  
larryparadise

CBD Location Question

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

hey all,

what number would you choose (if any) to put your CBD?  I've got a couple decent options i think but wanted to hear what others thought.  tile 4 is going to be reserved for more of a park area, so really 1-3 are in play.  is there a number that would make a good industry sector as well?

thanks everyone.

I would probably move 1, 2 and 3 one small tile north each and try to make the CBD in the new 3. If that turns out to be too small, the SW of the new 1 would take over.

Given the constrains of that layout, I would put your industrial sector in 3 and if needed, let it overflow into the two small tiles just to the north of it.  The CBD would go nicely in 1, with supporting residential.  The river is a natural for a port in 3 to absorb the industrial freight and also a good spot somewhere along there for a PEG garbage dock or two.  Build wide bridges, and don't forget your rail.

1 has a sort of three rivers thing going on. Too bad they didn't meet closer to the center of the square cause then you could do a Pittsburgh sort of thing :)

The real truth is that the CBD can be grown in any city tile. The only requirement is having a highly educated workforce and good transportation (high traffic), preferably avenues. In SC3000 the CBD worked best at the (only) city's centre. SC4 is a different case though, the "city centre effect" no longer exists, and commercial development prospers along busy arteries - high desirability, low crime, pollution etc is needed as well. There is also another unwanted phenomenon, the so-called "Eternal Commuter Bug". To minimize its effect, residential areas should rather be places in the middle of the city tile, and workplaces at the borders. If you place residents close to the border, esp to connections, your sims will be finding jobs in the neighbour city.

So the best location for a CBD is close to the city border, with many connections to the neighbours and/or the residential area. Better yet, design your networks in a way that your residents cannot directly commute to another city, but route them through your commercial area. And also take into account that it is not very easy to grow C-only and R-only cities, because growth of the one affects demand for the other, and you will have to switch frequently For example, if you are playing the R city (with good educational coverage) and run it for a few game-months or -years, education level will improve and consequently demand for CO$$ and CO$$$ will increase. Then you will have to switch to the C city and grow some CO - this will exhaust the CO demand and increase the R demand. Running the C city further won't offer you anything (except maybe for increasing your funds, if you have a positive budget), it will only cause your power plants to grow older and your garbage to accumulate. So you will have to switch to the R city and grow some more residences - then wait for the EQ to improve again so that the next development cycle begins, etc etc. This will be your gameplay style, unless of course you use some demand mod, which would nail your CO demand to the top (and I strongly recommend against). So I would advise that you consider the possibility of mixed R and C cities (industry is a different case, you can make an indusctial city tile to boost initial demand for R, and then better close it and never reopen it!),

• Original Poster
  • 1 has a sort of three rivers thing going on. Too bad they didn't meet closer to the center of the square cause then you could do a Pittsburgh sort of thing :)

i was thinking that same thing...like i wanted to get PIT's city layout on google and see how they did it since they've got the river thing going on.  i haven't started on these tiles yet, so i can still move the river more to the center...i've been trying to build up the other city tiles in the rest of the region and saving this area for later on when i've got a good game plan.

• Original Poster
  • The real truth is that the CBD can be grown in any city tile. The only requirement is having a highly educated workforce and good transportation (high traffic), preferably avenues. In SC3000 the CBD worked best at the (only) city's centre.

So the best location for a CBD is close to the city border, with many connections to the neighbours and/or the residential area. Better yet, design your networks in a way that your residents cannot directly commute to another city, but route them through your commercial area.

with that being the case...do you think the attached pic would effectively grow the CBD?  the red line is for the highway, the greens are for residential (darker = denser), blue for commercial and yellow for industrial.

• Original Poster
  • Too much industrial.  Don't be shy about having suburban commercial centres.

i was thinking the tile underneath 3 would be where some farming would be, not more industrial...i think tile 3 will be where the majority of it will be, the top yellow box will be where the seaport/frieght/rail will be.

do you think the highway system will be effective enough to move the residents from tile 1 to tile 3?  i've currently got an avenue that connects tile 2 to tile 3, which i think though work...but definitely wanted to make sure the highway will do the trick since i'm using it to spur development in the CBD.  the black line represents the avenue from tile 2 into tile 3.  thanks.