Sign in to follow this  
AkemiAzula

Virtucity Project

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

http://virtucityproject.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=review

1526315_546961338729085_595476488_n.jpg

This is the Simtropolis thread for my project Virtucity. I am making it in collaboration with Xtidia Games and there is a Windows WIP thread at the Game Maker Community forums at Yoyogames.com, as well as the above Proboard. It also has a Facebook page.

The above image shows the graphical style of the game. It will use 3d models but similar to Simcity 4 will show them as 2d dimetric images, thus allowing for both great detail and great frames per second even on slower machines.

• Original Poster
  • Well I am certainly not 'abandoning' BoomTown. But the idea behind Civitas, a community built game, was great. The Civitas forums had some good conversations, and I don't want to see that evaporate now Brandon has cancelled his project (whether it ever was legit).

I have a forum and Virtucity is a nice neutral name, whether or not it shall be the eventual name of the game we want. I wanted to continue the free discussion that had generated so muc useful constructive argument at Civitas. BoomTown is still a design document like Virtucity, but there is only a small team of people who ever go to that forum.

I suppose it is like an experiment. You try a small group and you try en masse ground-upward stuff and see which works. Buggi is very attached to his project like I am to mine. We both spent years trying to get our projects off the ground. I am not going to stop supporting his, but I really want to see the spirit of Civitas continue in something productive.

I have always said we need to streamline our efforts if we are ever to defeat EA. Now we have not one but two big dissapointments behind us this year... I think it's time we did something. BoomTown looks like it will take a while before it gets anywhere substantial.

I'm just trying to coordinate all this enthusiasm into something productive, really.

Next update for VirtuCity is going to include GlassBox engine! But not like sc2013, not even close. Here is how it works:

When a residence is built, a random amount of citizens spawn in it depending on house type. 2 of the citizens are atleast 18, the other are random age. If it's day, the citizens will go to nearest job location and take the job. Every citizen has money. The money is generated every week and is calculated by the time the citizen has worked. This is good because, if you don't have good traffic, your citizens will be poorer.

The industries will produce their goods depending on the amount of workers working there, and if they have the resources to do it.

For example, a bread industry requires wheat, which can be produced locally in the city (which will lead to cheaper prices, and more profit for the industry) or it can be shipped in from other place(which in singleplayer there will always be one, but in multiplayer you can ship resources and goods from other user controlled cities). This will lead to higher prices and less profit for the industry, thus less profit for you.

Then the goods go into shops and citizen buys food and stock from there, if they need it.

How are the expenses and income going to work? 

Well, in simcity 2013, residences, industries and commercial zones never had expenses. Here, they have. In simcity 2013, residences didn't pay water or power bills.(or did they?) Here they do, and their expenses are your profit.

A citizen uses 150 liters of water per day with your default cost of water( it can be changed ) 0.1 cents per litre. So that is 0.15$ for every citizen every day.

A low wealthy citizen uses 10 kWh(15 for medium wealth and 25 for high wealth) of electricity per day with your default cost of electricity ( it can be changed ) 15 cents. So that is 1,50$ for low wealth, 2,25$ for medium wealth and 3,75$ for high wealth every day.

These numbers may sound small, but with a population of 10000 low wealth only population 150000$ for electricity and 225000$ for water .That's 375000$ income for the city. Each day.

If you have all your power coming out of wind turbines, the cost of one commercial turbine is 2,000,000$(and costs 150$ to maintain per day) and it produces 13700 kWh of energy per day. That means that you will need approx 7 turbines costing you 14,000,000$ to install and cost 1050$ per day. Which doesn't sound much but it's the actual maintain cost. 

The biggest challenge is the traffic, it has always been.

Now you ask, how would the PC handle 10,000 or even 100,000 citizens . Well, I'm not sure. The citizen data is stored in 1 object instead of every citizen. This increases the speed a lot! The most speed reducing factor is path finding. We don't know how well the game will perform until we test it.

I haven't covered all of the GB engine features but I hope you understand where I am going. 

I would name it something different than Glassbox Engine ;) Not only is that names already unoriginal, but it also has a bad connotation attached to it because of its many problems.

Perhaps, also, the 'take nearest job' is, imo, undesirable behavior that Simcity 2013 already showcased is not the best way to go about simulating residents?

Perhaps, also, the 'take nearest job' is, imo, undesirable behavior that Simcity 2013 already showcased is not the best way to go about simulating residents?

It's only in the early stage until we got the "simple" engine going.

I would name it something different than Glassbox Engine ;) Not only is that names already unoriginal, but it also has a bad connotation attached to it because of its many problems.

And what name would you suggest to name it ?

CrystalBox engine?  :D