Sign in to follow this  
Destable

Computer factory profits not adding up, what am I missing?

5 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've been rocking right along making computers from scratch, but my ore and coal finally ran out, so I decided to get rid of all of my mining, smelting, etc. and just import the processors and alloy.

Here's what I calculate my profit should be per factory:

$1,416,000 Computers Sold               (9600 crates @ $147.50/crate [$147,000/1000 crates])

-$321,600  Imported Processors       (4800 crates @$67.00/crate [$67,000/1000 crates])

-$232,200 Imported Alloy                     (48 tons @ $4,837/ton  [$48,375/10 tons])

= $862,200 profit/day

So here's what's actually happening with my 9 factories. 

I started out with 30 million cash. I'm now down to 5 million. My monthly transactions have been continually sliding, and I'm down to -10 million now.

It's like I'm either importing way more processors and alloy than I'm using and they're disappearing into this air (I've been watching my trade port lots, and it's not like they're all full of processors/alloy to be used)......or like I'm not getting the cash for all the computers i'm producing (again, they're not piling up anywhere that I can see).

It's not a traffic problem, I actually had one when I started this experiment, and once I fixed it by eliminating a bunch of intersections there are no highway backups at all. Clearing traffic actually made the losses much worse.

What am I missing????

Thanks for the help.

I've been rocking right along making computers from scratch, but my ore and coal finally ran out, so I decided to get rid of all of my mining, smelting, etc. and just import the processors and alloy.

$1,416,000 Computers Sold (9600 crates @ $147.50/crate [$147,000/1000 crates])

-$321,600 Imported Processors (4800 crates @$67.00/crate [$67,000/1000 crates])

-$232,200 Imported Alloy (48 tons @ $4,837/ton [$48,375/10 tons])

= $862,200 profit/day

Thanks for the help.

You're missing the running costs which is 3600 per factory and at least one trade port which is around 2200. Per hour, per factory. That's 830.000 per day with one trade port, not counting the hefty costs of utilities for these buildings.

Te only way it can work is if you import alloys and plastic and produce both processors and computers. Although I suggest going for TVs.

I would do tvs instead as well.  I have 3 parts of the factory doing TVs and one doing computers.  It costs about 50% of your profit to make a computer and a lot less to make a tv.

• Original Poster
  • I've been rocking right along making computers from scratch, but my ore and coal finally ran out, so I decided to get rid of all of my mining, smelting, etc. and just import the processors and alloy.

$1,416,000 Computers Sold (9600 crates @ $147.50/crate [$147,000/1000 crates])

-$321,600 Imported Processors (4800 crates @$67.00/crate [$67,000/1000 crates])

-$232,200 Imported Alloy (48 tons @ $4,837/ton [$48,375/10 tons])

= $862,200 profit/day

Thanks for the help.

You're missing the running costs which is 3600 per factory and at least one trade port which is around 2200. Per hour, per factory. That's 830.000 per day with one trade port, not counting the hefty costs of utilities for these buildings.

Te only way it can work is if you import alloys and plastic and produce both processors and computers. Although I suggest going for TVs.

The running costs, including the utilities, is factored in by looking at my negative income. But to carry the math from above...

$7,758,000 expected computer profit per day (862,000 expected profit for each of 9 computer factorys) see above

-$1,416,000 daily loss on city (-59,000 per hour) This should cover the cost of all trade ports, utilities, costs for the factories, etc.

So I'm still dealing with a "what am I missing?" question. Also, as for the running costs, when I add up (3600 + 2200)x24hrs I get 139,200 not 830,000. Is that where I might be not getting how the game does math?

Convert all you computer factories to produce TV's instead... they go for more than the comps @ 194K per 1K crate and they DO NOT require alloy to produce, which can cut some of your cost. Also, the supply chain has to be completely smooth, meaning trucks/rail/water are working smoothly with no taffic holding them up, dont sell stuff that doesnt bring in that much... like, dont sell processors, produce them... but just use them locally for the tv plants. dont produce plastic, its a cheap resource just import... only use the trade rail/water port to sell, because they move so much more at once on rail or by water PLUS you can add up to 12 trucks with it... if you do have trade depots in various areas, you should cut down to just one and only use it as a storage facility, set every lot to use locally...  for the depots make sure that you have the accpet local deliveries unchecked if you dont need that resource to be there and you want it to go directly to the factories..

if your still having problems, i suggest closing all trade ports and depots and then reopening them one by one, lot by lot until you find the problem area. Like have one factory open and provide the resources for it until it seems to run smoothly and then slowly opening the others, giving it time to accept deliveries..  **you only need 1 alloy lot at the rail/water trade port, which holds 100 TONS of alloy, keep any eye on it, if it fills up, stop importing for awhile

My rule of thumb... 1 processor plant will cover 2 tv plants with processors / 1 trade port(rail/water fully functional) will cover the resources for 2-3 processor plants and 4-5 tv plants  ....remember, you need alloy to produce processors but NO alloy is needed to make TV's, which sell for the most..

OASN: your hourly city budget will always be in the red if your producing tvs/comps, but -50k/hr DOES NOT matter if your pulling in millions per month...  my current budget, i'm spending 2mil/day on alloy, 1mil/day on plastic but bringing home 8mil/day on tv's, i'm -46K/hour with the city budget, and i have 37 million in treasury...