Sign in to follow this  
starshard0

Clearing out Timbuktu (Tutorial Region)

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi Simtropolis! I've been playing SimCity 4 the last couple of days (Steam says it's been 124 hours total), mostly experimenting with city design, grid layout, etc. One thing that's been bothering me is annoying tutorial cities in Timbuktu. I really like the layout of the region, and I've seen what some people are able to do with it.

I've tried obliterating the tutorial cities, and that works well enough, except that my mayor's name doesn't appear in the region view (or when I click on the city) for some reason. Obviously it's more of an aesthetic thing, but I'd really like to get it working properly. Is there any way to resolve the issue or get a "clean" copy of the Timbuktu region?

Once in the city have you tried the 'Eradicat City' button.  It is in the terraforming menu in an established city.  It is supposed to totally wipe the city and leave the terrain clean.  I have never done it because it is irreversible (unless of course you have made a back up).

Did you try the extracheats.dll with the commands

WhereRUFrom <newcityname>

HelloMyNameIs <newmayorname>

I haven't tried it, but tell us whether it works.

• Original Poster
  • @Prophet42: Yes, I've used the obliterate city button after finishing the tutorial. When I go to create a new city however, the mayor name I enter doesn't show up in the region view, which is the problem I'm trying to solve.

@Turjan: I used both cheats, and they both go through just fine, but the mayor name still doesn't show up on the region view.

I've also been trying this recently. As far as I can tell there's no way to get the mayor name to show but I've only tried probably what you have - obliterate city and cheats. Maybe by editing the city file in the region folder but I assume some other program is needed for that if it is possible.

Well, gents, I've tried all sorts of things, and eventually I gave up.  I even copied the region and changed its name, but apparently there are some locks set up in there because it is a tutorial, and eventually everything goes sour.

I too like the layout of the region.  Perhaps something could be done by taking it into Mapper or Terraformer and creating a gray-scale map for it, then rendering it under a different name.

Just confirming what Moose said, the only way is to take it through the Mapper and create a whole new region from it. ;)

I also tried everything.

mrb

Just confirming what Moose said, the only way is to take it through the Mapper and create a whole new region from it. ;)

Well, then take it through Mapper and create a whole new region from it :D.

Timb_2_zpsed8e30a6.jpg

Now the only thing missing is to check whether you can import any of the cities, if you are so inclined.

Easy to keep existing citytiles from the original.

Create the new region, and name it something like Timbuktu 2. Open the one city ingame you want to replace in the new region, name it something simple like "delete". (It's to make it easier to find in the regionfolder and to make sure it's the right one) Save and Exit. Go to the regionfolder in MyDocuments and delete this exact cityfile Folder) named "Delete" in the new regionfolder of Timbuktu.

Search the city you want to keep in the old regionfolder (MyDoc/SC4/Regions/Timbuktu), find its name of the cityfile-Folder (the one you want to keep), copy and paste it to the new regionfolder with its folder and voila, the next time you open the new Timbuktu region, this city will be right there where you want it, replacing the deleted one. You can repeat this as many times as you wish.

Just to make sure you don't make any errors (happens to everyone), make a copy of both regions and keep them somewhere save until all is done. ;)

I did this with mine.

Sorry for the blackspotted area, but I do not want to reveil this 8 year old region that I have been playing, because it will become a new CJ sometime this year here on ST, when I find the time. It's simply not to reveil some of the unique details and the new Nexis BATs. ;)

mrb

11111ub.jpg

Easy to keep existing citytiles from the original.

Search the city you want to keep in the old regionfolder (MyDoc/SC4/Regions/Timbuktu), find its name of the cityfile-Folder (the one you want to keep), copy and paste it to the new regionfolder with its folder and voila, the next time you open the new Timbuktu region, this city will be right there where you want it, replacing the deleted one. You can repeat this as many times as you wish.

Hah, sometimes the solution is so simple that I wonder why I didn't think of that myself. Thanks for the push into the right direction :).