Sign in to follow this  
kinorunner

SC4 Monorail Bridges Not Working

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi everybody,

this is my problem: monorail trains cannot access bridges, thus being unable to cross water.

Monorail trains work perfectly on ground, but disappear as soon as they approach the first tile of the bridges ( where the slope begins).

To make it clear, I've:

- tried  ALL the available bridges ( with NAM they're about a dozen);

- tried destroying and rebuilding ANY of the bridges again and again;

- tried with different heights ( ferries yes\no ).

It is not a mere graphic glitch: M-trains actually do not pass bridges, and the overall efficiency of the system is impaired.

And, this problem affects the UDI missions too: mission fails in the moment the M-train approaches the bridge, disappearing.

I have three M-bridges in the city, and they all behave like this.

Any hint?

Thanks from now on,

K

Interesting but you haven't told us enough to offer a solution.

What version of SimCity 4 are you running?  You can find this with windows explorer (assuming you are on Windows) by doing a find in windows explorer for the file SimCity 4.exe then hovering your mouse over it.  It will tell you what your build version is.  If it is less than 1,1,638 you are missing some patches.

What is the configuration of your machine?  If you don't know, use Sysinfo to find out.

What operating system are you running, and what patch level?

Looking forward to your reply.

• Original Poster
  • Well, the sc4.exe is missing for some reason, which may or may not be me deleting it and using a downloaded launcher instead... anyway I still have the patches .zip files and they say:

- UPDATE_SKU2_TO_P1_B638

- BAT_Update2

... and that's for the version, I think.

I'm on Win7, Intel core i5, two or four cores I don't remember but I keep it to one single core with sc4 launcher, so it shouldn't matter...

By the way, I wonder if a good reinstall may be the case. I'm experiencing other bugs all around:

- sections of roads and avenues cancelled

- neighbour transport links interrupted

- counsellors keep telling I need an international airport, and I already have a very efficient medium one ( since about a hundred years )

- and now even school levels  fallen to "low" in ALL the buildings, while they've been extremely high for decades ( education levels, instead, show maximum values for all the ages; and schools,high schools,colleges museums and all are plenty all about, and rated five apples ).

- land values crumbled down for no apparent reason ( all the city used to be high value just a few saves before )

- ... and finally the best: with the city's cash reserves at 12 millions Simoleons, a population of 950,000 and every single reward gained (except the impossible Grand Railroad Station), all of a sudden I get this pop-up telling me I'm the worst mayor in history, and that I should try something easier like State Senator ( which I presume must be a "game over" message. Never seen it before).

Problem with reinstall is that, of course, I'd like to keep playing this region; apart the capital, there's about a dozen other cities, all connected with rails and monoes, all thriving. It'd be too bad to lose it all; and keeping this region from uninstall to put it back in once done is not guaranteed to get rid of the bugs. Bugs that started to happen after the installation of the NAM, which is a precious, if troubled, piece (on Win7, for what I read).

Hope I've been exhaustive... thanks for the attention, waiting for your opinion.

A reinstall won't overlay your user area, but you can save it if you wish.  If you deleted the game kernel (SimCity 4.exe) you should do a full reinstall.  I don't understand why you deleted it in the first place.  Perhaps you would like to tell us why you did that?

If you have NAM V31 could be a bug.  I've never had a problem with them.  Just checked.  They work fine on NAM V30.  Maybe have a look and if necessary report it.

• Original Poster
  • Found.

It's the NAM, as I feared.

Both versions tried, 30 and 31, somehow interfere with the M-bridge construction procedure.

Nam 31 shows a bridge perfectly connected with the track- uninstalled NAM, the same bridge appears as it actually is:  broken, disconnected from the rest of the track; whence the train malfunction.

Once repaired the bridge, transit resumes correctly.

Worth adding that, before trying without NAM, I uninstalled the game and reinstalled it, patches and plugins, just to be sure; and the bug was still there.

So, it's the NAM; sadly, removing it means removing all those wonderful sci-fi train stations I very much need... unable to find them as stand-alone, do they even exist? ( bullet train station, modern arch, ninja stations etc. )

Curious though, none seems to have this M-bridge thing. Must be something with my machine and SC4. By the way, now the loading of the cities has returned to the usual 10\15 seconds; with NAM on, it was a two\three minutes wait. A bit too much.

Solved. Thanks Nonnymoose for the assistance.

Have you checked if you installed the NAM version for the right driving side? Do your cars drive on the left or on the right of the road. Rail networks tend to break if you select the wrong version.

• Original Poster
  • Never noticed that... yes, this is probably the wrong version, my cars drive on the LEFT (why?) and all the cues I find in the NAM refer to AMERICAN streets ( so drive on the right side, I think). Didn't even know there were different NAM versions, where's to check?

By the way, it's still possible to use NAM and avoid the monorail issue; I removed the HSRP mod in the z-nam folder.

Now I still have the fabulous stations, and HSRP can't interfere with the monorail track anymore. 

So HSRP was the problem, not the full NAM, for what I can see.

Have you checked in the installer if you checked "Left Hand Drive" on at the NAM installer, or is there a folder called "z_LehtHandDriveSupport" present in your z___NAM folder?

See, there's your problem. You installed a Right-Hand Drive NAM on a Left Hand Drive game, causing quite some railway content to break. Re-install the NAM and make sure you got the Left Hand Drive support selected.

• Original Poster
  • @ Mandelsoft

Must have mentioned my inattentive trait with game things before... Okay, reinstalled NAM and controlled every single box this time. Checked the Left hand version, and a combination of things I like; unchecked a few things I don't need ( streets addon and el rail mainly ).

Results : M-bridges work.

I cannot tell if it's the lefthand thing that crucial here though, for M-bridges worked before as well (after the replacement I did, as told above). I could try removing them now, and replacing them in this new NAM installment, to see what happens... but, here's the second point: graphic glitches, instability, laggy hovering, long loading time; they're all back in. They were absent with the previous, limited installation of NAM, now they're here again; and the game is hardly playable this way.

So, if you have suggestions, I'll surely try them: as for now, I'll uninstall NAM once again, and keep only those few things I really need.