Sign in to follow this  
cnelson711

Did today's update fix their original bad traffic? (3/15)

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Saw the game updated around 5pm ET today.  Now my avenue has stoplights with medium density streets... and the lights aren't stupid!  They give the avenue right-of-way until a car is waiting on the side streets.

Edit: Opps... Maybe I was just hoping they fixed it already.  In reality I just upgraded my avenue to have street cars and the lights were added.

I guess when they say traffic they don't mean buses and stuff, because my buses are still incredible dumb...

They make a left turn to get out of the station

Then they go up the avenue, do a U turn

and go straight down the avenue...

basically they should've just pulled a right turn from the station :P

You mean you can't turn left?

I've never seen a car in real life do a left turn straight across 3  lanes nor have I've ever seen a car do a u turn on a six lane avenue.

If you're coming from a side street off of the avenue in real life, it's much safer to make a right turn...

My city was indeed a lot less congested today, but I'm not sure that's the cause. I raised the number of rich households, which decreased population, so that might be it. 

Somebody posted on the EA forums that somebody from Maxis tweeted that the traffic fixes they've been working on were not included in today's (03/15/2013) update to the game.

Some people on the EA forums posted that they did include a traffic fix, but it seems that it's more likely just a placebo effect of people having gotten an update at all today.

I hope to god that this isn't the 'fixed' version of traffic. If anything it seemed worse to me today and I got worried at first that the patch somehow created more problems, but the longer I watch things play out, it seems to just be the same old laughably awful stuff, like buses just looping up and down the same stretch of road endlessly and ignoring half the city.

One new issue I noticed today for the first time... the traffic lights in one of my major intersections didn't change for many many in-game hours. I didn't notice exactly when the problem started, but I zipped through probably 5-6 hours watching this intersection between a streetcar ave and a high density ave. I understand that higher densities are meant to have the right of way so I expect the streetcar ave to be green more often, but traffic had piled up to the end of my city in both directions on the other road, and the light remained red as I said for hours and hours. There were like 10 ambulances and 10 firetrucks in the jam as well, so I took a big ratings and pop hit as a bunch of the city burned and people got sick and moved away.

SC13 is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get, and if you sit there and watch it for long enough it all melts down into a big sticky mess.

• Original Poster
  • I was optimizing my cities for the bad traffic conditions... now it'll all change (hopefully).  I don't think I'll mind making a city with realistic road layouts :P

i thought maxis had a good standing with the modding communitty?? didn't they ask any one involved in nam or simtrop for that matter to check out the games mechanics and see where old school sc4 algos might help the new game?

You mean you can't turn left?

I've never seen a car in real life do a left turn straight across 3  lanes nor have I've ever seen a car do a u turn on a six lane avenue.

If you're coming from a side street off of the avenue in real life, it's much safer to make a right turn...

You must not be living in the same world as me. I see drivers making left turns across 6 lanes of traffic every day when I drive around. I do U-turns on 6 lane avenues very frequently; it's easiest here because you can swing around and gun the throttle once you straighten out to get up to the speed limit. Those maneuvers are legal, and safe if executed correctly. Hell, I learned them in driver's ed.

Its amazing how different laws are around the world. Heck even across a county. We only have u turns in one specific circumstance where I live.