Sign in to follow this  
Bdub01

How to install custom content?

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am not a very computer literate person when it comes to downloading, installing and whatnot! So I finally got a flash drive and started downloading some of these awesome buildings I have seen as well as the HT-I big fix and opera house bug fix. So all this stuff is on my flash drive now. My question is ( how embarrassing) how do I get this stuff to the game proper? I'm sure there is a thread out there somewhere. I've been looking but of someone can point me in the right direction I would be most appreciative. Thx!!!

This is one of those questions... there's gotta be xxxxxxxxxxxxxx answers to that already! :)

But it's OK! :D

Usually, when you download some new building or mod or prop or dep... THERE IS a read me: that file is of the UTMOST importance and it simply MUST be read! OK? OK??

If not else, it explains basic installation procedures.

Most of the stuff you download simply goes in your plugins folder located in you documents folder (yes: the Windows "Documents" folder; in there, there is a "SC4" folder, inside of which there is a "Plugins" folder).

Some patches and fixes (just like the "Opera House" you just downed) need more complex procedures, so, guess what... you'll have to read the read me! :D

• Original Poster
  • This is one of those questions... there's gotta be xxxxxxxxxxxxxx answers to that already! :)

But it's OK! :D

Usually, when you download some new building or mod or prop or dep... THERE IS a read me: that file is of the UTMOST importance and it simply MUST be read! OK? OK??

If not else, it explains basic installation procedures.

Most of the stuff you download simply goes in your plugins folder located in you documents folder (yes: the Windows "Documents" folder; in there, there is a "SC4" folder, inside of which there is a "Plugins" folder).

Some patches and fixes (just like the "Opera House" you just downed) need more complex procedures, so, guess what... you'll have to read the read me! :D

Okay I guess the read me is a must read :). So I will. Thx for the help! I'm looking forward to an all new gaming experience !!!

The I-HT Fix will still work if you simply place it in your plugins folder.

But using the tutorial method is advised, as it may affect regional statistics / demand (this is unproven however). If you decide to go ahead, be sure to carefully read the instructions, making a backup of the required data file (SimCity_1.dat).

Before you begin with the full I-HT fix, save the game system files that are affected to another directory (folder).  If you mess this up, you can then restore these, and start over.  One slip of the wrist or a misunderstood entry and you can kill your game.

Now, about Plugins (I've written this several times, and I don't think I ever got the same words twice)

First of all, on your nice flash card, you should create a folder named SC4Downloads.  Then move all the zip files into it.  Note that I said move, not copy.  If you do it with windows explorer use cut and paste.  Move means copy without leaving it where it was.

Now, in your user game area you have a folder called <userid>\Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins that should be empty.  The game creates this when it first runs.

This is where you put your plugins unless otherwise instructed in a ReadMe file.

• Open your SC4Documents folder on the flash drive, and pick one of the .zip files.

• Right click on it and choose the option that expands the file in place.  I don't know windows any more, so I can't tell you the exact words.  The system will pull all the files out of the zip and put them in the same folder you are in.

• Now, take a look at the ReadMe file (just double click it and it will open either in notepad or your browser).  If you don't have a ReadMe file, then you have to just put the files in as necessary.  If you get a file with a .exe extension instead of a set of files, then this is an installer, and you should just double click it to run it.  It will put the files where they need to go.

• If there is no installer, then after you have read any instructions just follow them.  Lacking instructions here is what you should do by default:
      • There can be some different file types there but only the following go into your Plugins: .SC4LOT, .SC4DESC, .SC4MODEL, .DAT, and .DLL.  The rest of the files, if any, are documentation and you can leave them in your downloads list.

• It is probably a good idea to keep both the SC4Downloads folder and your Plugins folder broken up into sub-folders of the same name.  When you have many plugins this makes it easier to find any that are updated.

• Of the file types above, the first four can go into a sub-folder in your Plugins folder.  .DLL files are Dynamic Load Libraries and have to be directly at the root of the Plugins folder (no sub-folder).  Just use windows explorer with drag and drop.

And that's all there is to it.  When you start the game you will have these items as part of your game.  Any that are "ploppable" will be in your menus somewhere, as specified by the builder.  The growables will be in the game tables with all the other growable lots and will appear when the simulator decides to use them.  If they need a specific lot size, it will be specified in the documentation, and it is up to you to ensure that a proper lot exists.

• Original Poster
  • @ Mr.Moose you read my mind! I was just going to ask what unzipping a file means. Thx for the in advance heads up :D

• Original Poster
  • Ok need to know if I'm doing this right. In the pluggin folders I'm making a subfolder for everything I'm downloading ie a folder just for say K-mart, them one for Boston Market etc... I guess it's working?!?

Ok need to know if I'm doing this right. In the pluggin folders I'm making a subfolder for everything I'm downloading ie a folder just for say K-mart, them one for Boston Market etc... I guess it's working?!?

Most readme files say how to install the plugins. Some mods ask you to put them in a sub folder of the plugins folder while others simply need to be placed in the plugins folder. I'm not sure whether it makes a difference but as a general rule I think it's best to play it safe and do exactly what the readme file or link says abut the respective mods. Also make sure to get and read the instructions for the possible dependencies when installing custom buildings, lots etc. 

If you want to organize your mods you can create another folder outside of the plugins folder. There you can keep a copy of all the mods in whatever way you'll find easiest to organize. Then it doesn't really matter that the plugins folder looks like a mess because you can always refer to your backup. Another benefit of this is that you don't have to re-download them, and depend on the exchanges, if you would need to start over some day. Sim City 4 Deluxe may remain the best Sim City game for another decade so you would want to save the content that makes the game work best for you. 

Well, I only have one file in my plugins that is not in a folder and that is the Extra Cheats .dll.  The subfolder structure gives you better access.  When a mod wants to be in the "load last" group, put in in a folder with a lower case z at the beginning (e.g. z_load_last).  Plugins load in alphabetical order.  You can see that there is only one file (extension) in this list.

SimCity 4/Plugins
    ├── Andreas Roth
    ├── A Nonny Moose
    ├── AshPikachu
    ├── Asia Corner Shops
    ├── Boisemetro
    ├── Brenda_xne
    ├── BSC
    ├── Building Architect Dude
    ├── Carlosau
    ├── cogeo
    ├── Cougar2004
    ├── Cowkilla
    ├── craig-abcvs
    ├── EA Plugins
    ├── Equinox
    ├── Flatron
    ├── Frex_Ceafus
    ├── Fribe
    ├── frolius666
    ├── Genzeo
    ├── giomedicci
    ├── Goldiva
    ├── gshmails
    ├── GutterClub
    ├── Hamish
    ├── HeinBloed
    ├── IL
    ├── I. Lostalim
    ├── jasoncw
    ├── Jason Leo
    ├── JB
    ├── KellyDale2003
    ├── Krio
    ├── LBT
    ├── Lost+Found
    ├── madhatter106
    ├── MattB325
    ├── nbcv
    ├── Network Addon Mod
    ├── nofunk
    ├── NYBT
    ├── Paeng Industrials
    ├── Pegasus Productions
    ├── Porkissima
    ├── profxyz
    ├── qbert2
    ├── RalphaelNinja
    ├── Reddonquixote
    ├── RFR
    ├── robinsden
    ├── RTMTV3
    ├── rybolton
    ├── Sgt.Pepper
    ├── SilentBreaker
    ├── SimCity 4 Extra Cheats Plugin.dll
    ├── SimCoug
    ├── Simgoober
    ├── smf_16
    ├── stlassen
    ├── toroca
    ├── TWrecks
    ├── uroncha
    ├── VIP
    ├── Vlasky
    ├── Wallacet
    ├── xyloxodoria
    ├── z1
    ├── ZZZ-MTP
    ├── zzz_overrides
    ├── ZZZ PEG Facelift Mods
    ├── zzz_terrainmod
    └── ZZZZ_PEG_SEAPORTS

71 directories, 1 file

• Original Poster
  • Ok I would like to take this opportunity to give shout outs to everyone who helped me get the NAM and this game changing custom able items. It feels like I have literally started playing a brand new game! I didn't even know what a plugin was till last week. Now I have many subfolders in my plugins.

I have only dreamed of playing SC like this. I would look at the CJs and the "show us" sections and get so jealous :). Now that I have many of the custom stuff I can make the suburbs of my dreams with Targets, and Wal-Marts, and all the restaurants I want. I have gone from eating a value menu burger from Micky D's to eating a 20 oz porterhouse at Outback (which I now have both of those establishments :))

So a first shout goes to the person who started a thread about wanting a specific gas station. That person was the one who suggested I get a flash drive to download this stuff onto my non Internet computer. It was one of those "I could have had a V8" moments...

And of course a shout out goes to Mr.Moose who really made it simple to understand how to unzip and load and put stuff in my plugins. So thanks to you guys and the peeps that have come up with do much custom made stuff!!! I already have almost all of Simgoobers restaurants, grocery stores, and motels.

And that is a perfect Segway to ask a question. I know there are many dependencies for Simgoobers stuff so where can I find it. In his read me sections I click on the link and a page pops up that says "Oops can't find it". I ask cause I'm sure my sims would love to park in a lot and not on the grass ;)

Anyway thanks once again guys!!!

For Simgoober stuff that is older, I suggest you have a look at the LEX.  Create an account, if you haven't at SC4Devotion, then open an account in the LEX there which needs a separate registration.  All of this is free.

A great many of Simgoober's props and textures have been consolidated into megapacks.  You should have a look around over there, and maybe take a look at the megapack descriptions, particularly at SG_INSTALL_MEGAProps01.  There was a move sometime ago to consolidate a lot of the BSC work into bigger packages to reduce the number of files.