Sign in to follow this  
Mgbu

Question about NAM

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi, this is my first post here. I've found this amazing game few days ago :golly: , so I'm making my second city (very small for now, 25000 hab.)

Also I don't speak English, so I'll do my best effort

Playing SimCity I've fount that the Sims take the shortest route by car, this is extremely annoying because they don't use my beautiful avenues and they use instead that roads. So I've installed the NAM mod (which solves the problem).

The problem is that the game is too easy now. Before installing the NAM mod I had a lot of red roads, but now my city is entirely green LOL. Why is so good my traffic? Immediately after installing the mod nothing happened about Sims routes, so I've put like 5 NAM Controllers and worked. Is so easy because I've put too much controllers?

You only need one controller. The game takes several Sim-months to settle down after an add like that. Impatience will cause grief.

A fully installed NAM will eventually solve a lot of traffic problems.

By the way, what version of the game are you running? Do you have Deluxe from disks or the digital download?

• Original Poster
  • I have the digital version, updated as says in the

Im very surprised how the traffic changed, maybe because the 6 avenues, a complete Underground system and a lot of bus stops I've builded before installing the mod (That closest-route system was turning me crazy)

Can I delete the NAM Controllers? I cant see them, they are invisible :uhm:, but I remember where I put them

so I've put like 5 NAM Controllers and worked. Is so easy because I've put too much controllers?

You only need one controller. The game takes several Sim-months to settle down after an add like that.

You're using improper terminology.

The Controller refers to the RUL files that makes the NAM work. What you're really referring to is the Traffic Simulator, in which case, you may have installed the highest-capacity simulator, when you may have wanted to install Simulator Classic. Uninstall all of the extra traffic simulators and leave the one you want.

A run-down of the capacities:

Simulator Classic keeps most of the default capacities found with the original (and highly buggy) traffic simulator. Everything else (Low, Med, High, Ultra) are high-capacity versions of Classic, each scaled up from the last.

In fact, refer here to the capacities and how the simulator works http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=6812.0

One of the biggest fundamental changes with the NAM Traffic Simulator is that sims will instead take the FASTEST route. Here are the speeds in km/h:

Street 30, RD/AVE 50, OWR 75, MHW/RHW 150, Rail 140, Subway 105, El Rail 115, Monorail 225.

Before you freak, they're set this way for a reason: http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=10261.0

In short, there's a direct correlation between speed and capacity. As capacity usage increases, speed decreases. In other words, a well-congested highway would become less ideal than, for example, an OWR.

• Original Poster
  • so I've put like 5 NAM Controllers and worked. Is so easy because I've put too much controllers?

You only need one controller. The game takes several Sim-months to settle down after an add like that.

You're using improper terminology.

The Controller refers to the RUL files that makes the NAM work. What you're really referring to is the Traffic Simulator, in which case, you may have installed the highest-capacity simulator, when you may have wanted to install Simulator Classic. Uninstall all of the extra traffic simulators and leave the one you want.

A run-down of the capacities:

Simulator Classic keeps most of the default capacities found with the original (and highly buggy) traffic simulator. Everything else (Low, Med, High, Ultra) are high-capacity versions of Classic, each scaled up from the last.

In fact, refer here to the capacities and how the simulator works http://sc4devotion.c...hp?topic=6812.0

One of the biggest fundamental changes with the NAM Traffic Simulator is that sims will instead take the FASTEST route. Here are the speeds in km/h:

Street 30, RD/AVE 50, OWR 75, MHW/RHW 150, Rail 140, Subway 105, El Rail 115, Monorail 225.

Before you freak, they're set this way for a reason: http://sc4devotion.c...p?topic=10261.0

In short, there's a direct correlation between speed and capacity. As capacity usage increases, speed decreases. In other words, a well-congested highway would become less ideal than, for example, an OWR.

Ahhh, now I know

When I said NAD Controller I was talkink about the placeable empty square that is avaiable now with the mod

Due to my poor English I thought that the Classic, Low, Medium, High and Ultra versions were how much realistic the Simulator was, so I've installed the High version :D

Now I'll try with Medium or Low versions Thanks! :golly:

A last Question: I need to remove some NAM Controller Squares?

By "Controller Squares", are you referring to the NAM Icon that appears at the bottom of the Highway menu, which if pressed, places nothing? That button actually isn't intended to be clicked, but rather, it's a diagnostic tool we created to help with tech support cases, which you can hover over to get version information. It's information we need to have when users request help from us.

-Tarkus

• Original Poster
  • By "Controller Squares", are you referring to the NAM Icon that appears at the bottom of the Highway menu, which if pressed, places nothing? That button actually isn't intended to be clicked, but rather, it's a diagnostic tool we created to help with tech support cases, which you can hover over to get version information. It's information we need to have when users request help from us.

-Tarkus

Yes, I thought that this object was necessary :D

Thanks! now I can come back to zoning :}