Sign in to follow this  
dekiscool

Building Now A Box?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have been playing SC4 now for about a year. I stopped playing for a bit, but the other day I downloaded a bunch of extras like Barnes And Nobles, Borders, etc. I started slow and only added 4 mods into the game so I could quickly go into the game and see if they work. Well I had Super 8 motel mod in the game from awhile back and it worked just fine. However, after loading in Borders, Blockbuster, Barnes And Noble and Coke Neon Advertising Water Tower, I loaded up the game, and The Super 8 motel suddenly is a big box now. What happened and do I have to reload the Super 8 or what? Nothing else seems effected.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a plugin conflict. Take the new ones out to a separate folder (temporarily), and make sure the game is OK without them. Then, take half of them, put them in, and see if things are still OK. If not, one of the ones in the current set is in conflict. You can then take out half of those, etc. This little binary search should only take two tries for four lots.

Maybe I can shorten the process a little bit....

If I had to guess, I'd say it was either Blockbuster or the Coke Neon Advertising Water Tower causing the conflict. The reason I say that is because I, too, have the Super 8 motel along with Barnes and Noble, and Borders, and there is no confict between those three for me.

• Original Poster
  • Ok...I went back and took out the Coke Neon Advertising Water Tower, Barnes And Noble, Bed Bath & Beyond, Blockbuster and Borders out of the Plugins folder. I went back into the game and as it turns out...Super 8 and Best Western are both boxes now...funny thing is, when I demo'ed the Super 8, it rebuilt itself, from the ground up. So I came out of the game and noticed that Bed Bath And Beyond has an installation file - SG_Install_BedBathBeyond.exe and Borders has an installation file - SG_Install_Borders.exe. Super 8 Motel is an LBT file with Installation file. Once you use one of these installation files, how do you get rid of it or uninstall? I also tried reinstalling the Super 8, but that didn't work.

Generally, installers set up their own folders within your plugins. You are responsible for finding out where things go on your machine, and if you don't keep track you will continue to have trouble. Look through your plugins folder for various folders that may contain these mods. Look, for example, for one called SimGoober (SG).

• Original Poster
  • I know where they are and I deleted the folders of Bed Bath & Beyond and Borders in the SimGoober folder. Still hasn't brought back the Best Western or Super 8. Not sure if I should try to delete Super 8 and Best Western and then try to reload them? Any ideas?

I would recommend actually downloading Super 8 and Best Western again, and then check to see which dependencies are listed in the Read-me files. Make sure you have all the dependencies, reinstall them, and then check for duplicates. Get rid of the oldest duplicates, and then reinstall Super 8 and Best Western.

• Original Poster
  • Ok...so...it appears I was missing some dependencies. The weird thing is, it worked find before I added in the new one...and then suddenly, wasn't working. Strange. But it appears fine now. Thanks for the advice! :-)

Yeah, I've discovered this can be a weird game. I couldn't imagine what else would be causing your problem, other than a missing dependency. So, to me, it just seemed logical to redownload and reinstall. Glad it's working for you now...again. :)