Sign in to follow this  
ussoldier2002

I have searched the forums and can't find my CTD problem

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I downloaded SC4 from Origin. The game has run fine up until lately. I had a few CTD's but nothing to irritating. Last week however my game started crashing on me right after the opening intro. The SC4 screen pops up, sits there for a but then crashes. I tried changing the processors to only 1 but the game still crashes and when I try again it is still set up on 2 processors. I am running on Windows 7 on a Walmart computer lol. I can't download anything really since I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. Anyway if you have any suggestions I would be glad to try them. Thanks in advance.

Deployed in Afghanistan ? Be careful, there are quite many danger around there, as I know.

About the intro problem, there are several ways to solve it :

1. Add ' -intro:off' to the shortcut of the game.

2. Remove the Intro.dat from the C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe.

Since you got it from Origin, it should be the very hottest version (1,1,641). Since you are on a laptop, have you considered that you may be having overheat crashes, or that your disk may be checker-boarded.

Next time you are going outside the wire without your laptop, set it up to run (plugging into power) the disk defragmenter program. This will help to clean up any multi-extent files and make loading better. If you can, before you do that run Disk Cleanup as well. Both of these programs take a long time, and nothing else should run while each of them runs. If you've never done it, it is like watching paint dry.

Thank you for your service.

• Original Poster
  • Hey guys I really appreciate it. I am in the south and the guys we rip'd with said this is the safest place to be in Afghanistan but we will see come summer.

Jason, when you say add to the short cut what exactly are you referring to? Do I re-name the short cut and just add -intro:off to the end? Thank you for your service as well :)

Moose, I don't think it is an overheat problem because everything else works fine. I don't know why it all of a sudden started doing this. Also, I am not sure what you mean by checker boarded. I did do the disk clean up but not the defragmenter.

Hey guys I really appreciate it. I am in the south and the guys we rip'd with said this is the safest place to be in Afghanistan but we will see come summer.

Jason, when you say add to the short cut what exactly are you referring to? Do I re-name the short cut and just add -intro:off to the end? Thank you for your service as well :)

Yes, just add the '-intro:off' to the end of the shortcut.

If you feel this way is still confusing, there still another way, delete the 'intro.dat' file from the C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe.

Moose, I don't think it is an overheat problem because everything else works fine. I don't know why it all of a sudden started doing this. Also, I am not sure what you mean by checker boarded. I did do the disk clean up but not the defragmenter.

First of all here is a command line example (mine) to give you a better clue on this:

"C:/Program Files/Maxis/SimCity 4 Deluxe/Apps/SimCity 4.exe" -intro:off -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 -d:software -f -CPUcount:1 -audio:off

all on one line, of course. This goes in the Target line of your shortcut. Some of this stuff my not be applicable to you. I have to run in software rendering because of a problem with my machine (Linux), and I have a DVI 24" monitor so have to set up for that. You need to replace all my forward slashes (/) with backslashes (\) because I have a different file system.

Now, about disk defragmenter:

SC4 is one of the worst offenders of any app in creating disk checker boarding. This is caused by saves. When you save a city after working on it for a while, there is a very good chance that it won't fit in the space on the disk it was in before. The file system finds this out and instead of releasing the old space and getting a new one, it finds an unused entry for a piece of disk space in the Master File Table (MFT), allocates it to the file, and writes the data, first on the old space with a link to the new piece (extent), then writes the rest on the new chunk of disk space. With cities this often happens more than once. The result with active SC4 users is that the disk space becomes fragmented and it often takes more than one disk rotation for a file to be read into memory.

The Disk Defragmenter eliminates this by working over the disk and putting all the small pieces together as single files as needed, and cleans up the MFT in the process. If this is not done, sometimes MFT entries fall off the end of the table and that disk space is lost unless you run CHKDSK to recover lost space. CHKDSK runs off line, and you really don't want to do that.

However, because it is beating the disk pretty hard, nothing else should be running with it, especially not a memory hog like a browser. This can take several hours, and it is best scheduled for an overnight run the first time. Run weekly, it should take much less time.

Disk space maintenance is something most users don't do, and this is one of the causes of "needing a new machine". Their disks die of fragmentation, and they don't know what to do about it. Now, you do.