Sign in to follow this  
Chesh

can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

okay, to cut things short:

i started a new region today and i've been following soldyne's 'making money the easy way' guide. i've pretty much copied the guide thus far, and so i can't work out why i'm having employment issues. i have demand for residential, but i don't want to zone anymore because it'll just worsen the problem, right? i can't work out why i don't have any industrial demand. :s

the region (industrial city to the north, residential to the south):

post-491247-0-63011200-1355382085_thumb.

Is the commute time for the Sims are short and do you have any commercial jobs for the Sims, all Sims will not only work in the industrial jobs. Another thing have you played each of the two maps for a while for the Sims to find the jobs, try to play in each map for about five to ten minutes. I hope that helps.

• Original Poster
  • some commute times are long and others are short. all of the abandoned homes have long commute times, but it can't be because they're working in the neighboring city because there are other sims who work there also who have short commute times? there is a little bit of commercial zoning in my residential city, the demand for that is under the line too, though. i've played both cities for a while, i'm sure the game would have realized the supply and demand by now, but i'll go back and play a little longer to see if it helps.

here's my residential city:

Untitled.png

and here's my industrial city:

Untitled2.png

How about the tax ? Higher tax may cause lower demand, check that thing is recommended.

And also, how about the level of education and wealth in your cities ? Different type of education and wealth level will attract different kind of C and I.

Do not make RCI bar in your game as your only preference for the type of RCI that will grow in your city, check the demand graphic as well, since that graphic shows the demand for each wealth type and RCI type.

One more thing, check the desirability of the area around your city, it can cause low demand when the desirability is low.

Universe of discourse is missing again. What version of the game are you running? Is it fully patched, if necessary? Do you have the NAM?

We really can't make guesses about your environment.

What I see in your screen shots is a lack of commercial jobs.

• Original Poster
  • Okay so I started again in a new region with a slightly different approach and the same thing happened again. Two cities, one industrial and the other residential with commercial here and there. No traffic congestion, taxes haven't been changed at all, I'm using the NAM. How come no one wants to build smokestacks in Powerton, and/or why are the sims in Suburbia so dang stupid? I've never succeeded in creating a huge region with millions of people, but I've been more successful than this in the past and I'm not doing anything drastically different. I can't top 10K population, for pete's sake! :(

I assume if the problem is commute time. How about the commute time in your city ? Peoples won't work too far from their home. Don't think if they're dumb, they just lazy and won't go too far away just to earn some money.

I would suggest you to doing at least one of these things :

1. make the distance between R and I is closer.

2. make a railway system that connect both cities.

Patience! Unless you are playing full time, these things take quite a while. There are no instant cities. Jason Leo is correct in that you need to make your commute time shorter. Rail is a good method.

If you are running on Cheetah (high speed), all you are doing is missing a lot of the good animation. Instant cities don't happen in this game. In 10 years of playing, I've never seen a "smoke stack". Industrial doesn't get to be more than about Stage 3, and there are really no tall structures for I. In the residential city, you need quite a lot of commercial. If you want tall buildings you will need a population of 80-100K, good education and environment, and some high-density C zones with a few 4 x 4 lots.

The other thing is that pushing rocks uphill forever is like having a non-integrated city. Put the industrial zones on the edge, but bring them into your city. The real clue in this game is balance. Each city needs the income from all sectors to run properly. Full civic services, especially full water coverage is necessary.