Sign in to follow this  
A Nonny Moose

Facebook is a two-way street.

30 posts in this topic Last Reply

sadly, it's only a matter of time concerning passwords. no matter how strong you make it, it can be cracked. the best bet is to make a random password using the "cat" method (randomly typing keys) then storing that password on a USB drive so that way if someone asks you for your password you can literally say, "i don't know it". also don't use a master password for all your sites. once they have access to one they have access to all.

Its funny how many people i see posting copyright 'disclaimers' on Facebook, saying how everything they put up on their wall falls under their intellectual property and cant be used or copied without their permission. Really though, if there is something you might not want other people to see or use, dont freaking post it on Facebook. The best privacy protection is by not putting it online.

Of course, no matter what your privacy settings are, everything is accessible to someone who works for Facebook and has the admin keys. The same is true of any website. So naturally, if the information is subpoenaed, the police will get it.

Hence, if you are doing something illegal, you are a stupid criminal if you post on Facebook about it.

• Original Poster
  • Copyrights depend on the local law where the item is posted. Normally, tossing in a copyright on something doesn't do much unless you are prepared to sue. I only put the GNU general license copyright on programs I write, and then there is blanket, no warranty whatever, permission to copy and use.

An English article.

It sounds like most of what they're doing is trying to educate people on how to better manage their privacy settings. I don't see how that's a bad thing.

The sticking point is that they're removing the option to make yourself unsearchable, and will be replacing it with "contextual tools" that we won't know the details of until we see them in action.

Personally I've never understood why people fuss over the public searchability thing. I don't care if people can find my profile, they can't see much if they aren't friends with me. And if I get a friend request from someone I don't know (it's happened!), I can always just hit "ignore".

Besides, making yourself not searchable just seems to be shooting yourself in the foot because then people who you want to find you can't find you unless you have mutual friends, or unless you give them a direct link to your profile - which doesn't really work when you're out with someone you just met and you're trying to become friends via the mobile app.

It also prevents old friends from high school and whatnot from finding you.

First that, and now this. I'm thinking seriously to leave Facebook.

600.000 people voting against it on Facebook is not exactly a lot, considering that Facebook has millions of users world wide.

Is actually an important reflex of about how many of the people takes care of their privacy, only 30% of the users voted, and only 88% of that 30 were against the change of the politics of privacy. Also, I would really like to say that this elections were not anounced in a trumpet.

First that, and now this. I'm thinking seriously to leave Facebook.

600.000 people voting against it on Facebook is not exactly a lot, considering that Facebook has millions of users world wide.

Is actually an important reflex of about how many of the people takes care of their privacy, only 30% of the users voted, and only 88% of that 30 were against the change of the politics of privacy. Also, I would really like to say that this elections were not anounced in a trumpet.

Really, I got an email about the whole thing. I deleted it right away as I consider all Facebook emails spam and because I prefer my own privacy setting which is infinitely more effective than anything Facebook can ever come up with. Namely, if its not something youd normally share with friends, dont post it to begin with. Works great.

Really, I got an email about the whole thing. I deleted it right away as I consider all Facebook emails spam and because I prefer my own privacy setting which is infinitely more effective than anything Facebook can ever come up with. Namely, if its not something youd normally share with friends, dont post it to begin with. Works great.

Actually I didn't received any kind of notification about this, I noticed it just because my brother told me. If not, I wouldn't have voted.

• Original Poster
  • I didn't get it either. Probably because my facebook registration is through a mail site I've quit using. I think facebook is just a lot of childish babble, and I stay as far away as possible.

Really, I got an email about the whole thing. I deleted it right away as I consider all Facebook emails spam and because I prefer my own privacy setting which is infinitely more effective than anything Facebook can ever come up with.

I saw the email and assumed it must be a phishing attempt or some other sort of shadiness since the idea that Facebook would ask their lowly users to vote on company policy seemed preposterous. I later found out it was real after I'd already deleted it and the voting had already closed... not that I'd have voted anyway since I could've told you that the outcome of the voting wouldn't affect what Facebook would actually do - you need to be a shareholder to vote meaningfully on anything to do with a company.

Facebook works really well for me because I post pictures of my kids and us and my family back home gets to see it. I mean, I'm not doing anything illegal, there's no sensitive information on my page, and I have the security settings set pretty high. I don't feel any serious danger in using Facebook, but I do realize that this is not the case for everyone who uses it. It also helps me that I have less than 50 friends, and I've met all of them in real life.

Yeah, Facebook has its advantages. In Uni, it gives me easy contact with everyone from my study, I get invited to all sorts of events and parties, and if I have to do a group project, making a small Facebook group makes it easy to communicate outside of class.

OK, I am transferring photographs away from Facebook, never going to use Instagram, and find out more about imgur, in which I set up an account for screenshots.

--Ocram

just load disgusting photos on instagram.

What's more, users waive their rights to a class-action lawsuit or class-wide arbitration.

is is legal for someone to waive your right to sue them?

I already hate Instagram for reasons unrelated to this latest news. For one thing, I hate it when people use their cellphones to take pictures, period - if you want to do it right you need an actual camera. But beyond that, this hipster-y fad about passing photos through filters to make them look old timey is stupid and needs to die in a fire. Folks, you are ruining what otherwise could be halfway decent pictures by doing this. It does not make you look cool like you think it does - it is completely and utterly lame. And I, for one, would much rather see the unfiltered originals than some attempt to be mass-produced artsy with it.

But, to be fair - this deal about selling your photos seems to be a misunderstanding.

I don't use Instagram. I don't care about that at all.

We do take the vast majority of our pictures with cell phones, though. It's handy to just use that when you're chasing toddlers all over creation.

• Original Poster
  • Fortunately, I am beyond all that snap-shooting. Used to do it though, when the kids were around. Instagram seems to have put their foot in it, thanks to their legal staff. The lawyers should be discontinued with extreme prejudice. [That's PC for shot].

How come, after all the years of complaints (centuries?), we haven't gotten through to lawyers that heretofores and notwithstandings do nothing for the clarity of their documents? Some of them get it, but they are in a minority. It's been that way since at least the time of the Bard. "The law's delay, the proud man's contumely" - Hamlet.