Sign in to follow this  
lhrob

Rail, monorail, subway, GLR...which one is best?

22 posts in this topic Last Reply

If you had to pick only one passenger rail service to place in your city, which one would it be and why?

P.S. Assume I don't care about cost for building or maintenance.

Subways, tons of them. They don't need plenty of space, they're very flexible and pretty fast. Build them everywhere and enjoy clean and quiet streets :)

martiansubway.jpg

If you have too many subways, you will have trouble saving. My preference for fast transport is heavy rail. It is the most versatile.

Subways, tons of them. They don't need plenty of space, they're very flexible and pretty fast. Build them everywhere and enjoy clean and quiet streets :)

martiansubway.jpg

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

They also really help the traffic simulator in reducing and even eliminating abandonment due to commute time, especially when used extensively.

If they're too expensive for you, you can always use the Traffic Simulator Configuration Tool to reduce the monthly cost. But especially with the latest NAM traffic simulator, you shouldn't need to.

EL Rail. It's flexible, relatively high-capacity and I can shove it just about anywhere. And unrelated I can connect it to heavy rail and subways. With one or two mods, it looks nice, too.

• Original Poster
  • With ELR and heavy rail, does it negatively affect desirability or wealth in the zones which are zoned right next to it? And doesn't it also take up land that could be used for zoning? Plus, with heavy rail, how does it work with freight trains? They use the same tracks, correct?

With ELR and heavy rail, does it negatively affect desirability or wealth in the zones which are zoned right next to it?

In RL, yes. In SC4, no.

And doesn't it also take up land that could be used for zoning?

Yes. This is one of the big advantages of subways.

Plus, with heavy rail, how does it work with freight trains? They use the same tracks, correct?

Yes.

• Original Poster
  • Okay - slightly different question, but still about rail: is it necessary to have a freight rail system in your city? I never see trains using my tracks, even though I have a freight rail station in my industrial zone. The stuff just exits the city by road. So what's stopping me from simply tearing out the heavy rails I have in place already?

Okay - slightly different question, but still about rail: is it necessary to have a freight rail system in your city? I never see trains using my tracks, even though I have a freight rail station in my industrial zone. The stuff just exits the city by road. So what's stopping me from simply tearing out the heavy rails I have in place already?

If you want the industrial use your rail, at least built some freight stations or just drag rail right next to the industrial zone...and you'll soon see your industrial using your rail....that works fine to me.

and as long as i know, rail is faster than road in transporting industrial stuff....

it depends on you, whether it's necessary for your city or not....but i would recommend that you use it..

• Original Poster
  • Does it matter if I only have one rail connection to an adjacent city in my region, or do I need to have a rail connection to all of the other cities, too?

The good thing about GLR is that there are downloadable parts that make it possible to convert it to elevated rail or subway,because it is practically the same network.When you decide you can make GLR go over or even under a building,emerging on the other side.

GLR is also very flexible and you can drag it between avenues.

Does it matter if I only have one rail connection to an adjacent city in my region, or do I need to have a rail connection to all of the other cities, too?

The more connections you have the better your commuting times are....

it's important in a large industrial city, i think...

Does it matter if I only have one rail connection to an adjacent city in my region, or do I need to have a rail connection to all of the other cities, too?

The more connections you have the better your commuting times are....

it's important in a large industrial city, i think...

For commuter rail, like essentially all mass transit, more is better, not so much because of commuting times (which really are pretty irrelevant in this game, contrary to anything the documentation may say), but because they give the Sims better chances of getting to jobs, and help avert the "Abandoned due to commute time" problem.

The whole purpose of freight trains is to get your freight to the nearest border faster. The faster you get it there, the higher the desirability of the lot from which the freight originates. Freight travel times are not to be confused with commute times, however, as freight does not commute. This applies to trucks as well, since they carry only freight. Both freight trucks and freight trains do contribute to traffic on their respective networks, however.

Using ground rail for both passengers and freight is the (sort of) default. You can separate them by strategic placing of stations and tracks separately. Also, you can prevent freight going by truck except to the freight stations by making sure the route to the edge or a seaport is more advantageous for rail. I use PEGs seaports, and they are enabled for rail, and this works just fine.

If you run your rail line through the industrial zones instead of beside them, most of the plants will put their freight directly on the rail system. You need a catch-all freight station here and there to catch the ones that are out of range (4 grids).

If you like model railroading, you can actually do it in SC4. It is just a matter of careful layout and enough accessories.

i personally thing that it looks good in a big city with its suburbs a mix of all types of systems, subway, glr, train and monorail, in order to give the zone a bit of realism not only using an exclusive type of transport

• Original Poster
  • Out of idle curiosity, if you don't use freight rail at all, and rely solely on trucks, what kind of effect does it have on your city - just increased traffic?

Out of idle curiosity, if you don't use freight rail at all, and rely solely on trucks, what kind of effect does it have on your city - just increased traffic?

The whole purpose of freight trains is to get your freight to the nearest border faster. The faster you get it there, the higher the desirability of the lot from which the freight originates.

• Original Poster
  • Out of idle curiosity, if you don't use freight rail at all, and rely solely on trucks, what kind of effect does it have on your city - just increased traffic?

The whole purpose of freight trains is to get your freight to the nearest border faster. The faster you get it there, the higher the desirability of the lot from which the freight originates.

I understand that. I wasn't trying to ignore your post. ;) I guess I didn't ask the question the right way. It's not a matter of speed. What I meant was: If there is no freight rail at all in your city, will it have an overall detrimental effect on your city as a whole? For instance, without freight rail, will skyscrapers grow? Is there a plateau your city's population will reach? Will you be able to grow I-HT?

You say the faster you get it there, the higher the desirability of the lot it originates from.....BUT, does that mean no industry will grow on that lot at all? Or is the only negative effect an increase in truck traffic throughout your city? I mean, the freight will still get out of the region, right - even though it takes a little longer?

Freight trucks add to the loading on the affected roads, increasing congestion. Carefully forcing the freight onto rail alleviates most of this. Separating freight from commuter rail reduces congestion on the passenger service as well.

There are two freight sinks in the game: the city border; and any seaport enabled for rail. Freight goes away at either of these points.

• Original Poster
  • So basically, freight rail does not need to be placed all across your city...right? It just needs to get from your industrial zones to the borders and/or seaport?

I'm just asking because I thought freight had to get to all other cities in your region, instead of just getting out of the city, period. I currently have a freight rail track running from one side of my city to the opposite side, and it's taking up some valuable land, as well as interfering with my road/highway layout, in order to get across a river. If I don't need to worry about getting it to the city on the opposite side of my map, then I can bulldoze the bridge and open up some land I'd like to use.

What I meant was: If there is no freight rail at all in your city, will it have an overall detrimental effect on your city as a whole?

Indirectly; only industry is affected specifically.

For instance, without freight rail, will skyscrapers grow?

Yes.

Is there a plateau your city's population will reach?

No, but it probably wouldn't grow as fast as it would if you handled freight properly.

Will you be able to grow I-HT?

That depends on a number of factors, one of which is freight. I-HT requires high desirability, and fast freight transit out of the city is one component of that. The better you handle your freight, the more likely you are to grow I-HT.

You say the faster you get it there, the higher the desirability of the lot it originates from.....BUT, does that mean no industry will grow on that lot at all?

No; dirty industry thrives in low desirability areas, although if desirability is low enough, even its growth may be stunted.

Or is the only negative effect an increase in truck traffic throughout your city?

That is one effect, but the bigger effect is the limits on growth of high-quality industry.

I mean, the freight will still get out of the region, right - even though it takes a little longer?

Yes, assuming you have connections at one or more borders, but the length of the trip affects the desirability.

So basically, freight rail does not need to be placed all across your city...right? It just needs to get from your industrial zones to the borders and/or seaport?

That's correct; from the game's point of view, the fastest way out of the city is the best way. It doesn't matter at all where the freight is going beyond that.