63 members have voted

1. 1. What time is your alarm set for?

• 5 AM or earlier
    • 5:01-6 AM
    • 6:01-7 AM
    • 7:01-8 AM
    • 8:01-9 AM
    • After 9 AM
    • What alarm? Who needs to get up in the morning!?

74 posts in this topic Last Reply

So, spontaneous idea for a thread that as far as I recall we haven't had before: what time does your alarm go off in the morning?

My alarm is set for 7:20, however it is typically more like 7:40 by the time I actually get out of bed. This is to leave at ~8:30 and get to work at 9.

Depends tottally of my tasks on the day. For example, when I'm on vacations I wake up later 9 hrs, sometimes 10 hrs (I know, I'm something lazy! sometimes...). When I'm going to the university it depends totally of my schedule, this semester I wake up at 8 a.m., in the lasts semesters were at the 6 a.m.. I can ensure that to wake up at 6 a.m for me is a martyrdom, I can't stand all the day well as I could stand when I wake up two hours later.

So, spontaneous idea for a thread that as far as I recall we haven't had before: what time does your alarm go off in the morning?

My alarm is set for 7:20, however it is typically more like 7:40 by the time I actually get out of bed. This is to leave at ~8:30 and get to work at 9.

Get to work by 9? :O Except for the time when I was working in a waitstaff position, the latest I have ever been allowed to get to work is by 7:30AM. I think the earliest I've reported to work is 5:30AM.

I'm on holiday from now through February (yay university breaks), so I happily do not need an alarm.

What time I set it for depends on when classes start - around 7am if my earliest class is at 9, 8am if it's at 10. I'll probably move them all to 7am this year for consistency.

Back when I was in high school my alarm was at 6am - school started at 8:25, but was also around 65 kilometres away. About 45 minutes to get ready and leave home 20 minutes before the train departs. The train took about an hour and ten minutes, leaving me 10 minutes to cover the 1.5km between the station and school.

I tended to be a little bit late. :P

On weekdays, I set my alarm to 6:30, but I only get up like at least an hour later. The university starts at 8:45 at it's earliest, but the I have to get on the bus at 8:00, after preparing my lunchbox and eating breakfast. Fortunately, there are also days where I have to start at 10:45, like today. Then the schedule is more laidback...

I actually don't have an alarm. Instead, I have babies that never fail to wake up before sunrise. Usually I'll roll out of bed at about 7 or so to be to work at 8:15. It kinda depends upon which school I have to go to as for my out-the-door time, though, and on weekends I might 'sleep in' until around 7:15 or 7:20. My wife gets mad if I'm any later than that.

Being retired, I only set an alarm on Tuesday (shopping day) and Saturday (laundry day). I hate getting up in the dark, which is what 0700 EST is, but I do it. Most days I am up between 0900 and 1000. Occasionally, if I have watched a late show in TV, I will sleep until I wake. I need between five and seven hours per night, and if I don't get it I may grab a couple of hours during the day.

Days that I need to attend university I usually get up at or around 6:45, or 8:30 if I start later. No alarm on weekends, but I tend to get up around 10:00-10:30.

6:45 to get to work everyday, no alarm on weekends except if I have to do uni projects or anything that needs to be done during the morning.

BTW, I hate waking up with a buzz sound, it makes me angry all morning long. Radio news for me, please.

Several things I hate about mornings is being groggy when waking up to a shrill buzzing noise, being freezing cold when I get out from the covers and realizing that I only have 20 min. to get to school.

Variable depending on schedule, however on a 'normal' day... 0650... but this allows for AT LEAST two 10 minute snoozes... leave the house at 0745, get driven to train station near my wifes work, 0825, catch train, walk 3 minutes to bus, catch bus 5 minutes, (yeah I could walk but it is up hill..) get to work around 9 am.

BTW, I hate waking up with a buzz sound, it makes me angry all morning long. Radio news for me, please.

You'd like my alarm. It sounds like a rather loud cricket, and gets louder if you don't press the button. I've had it since sometime in the 1970s, made by Toshiba (includes a radio, but the stations around here are ...). Doubt you can get one quite so nice any more.

• Original Poster
  • Get to work by 9? :O Except for the time when I was working in a waitstaff position, the latest I have ever been allowed to get to work is by 7:30AM. I think the earliest I've reported to work is 5:30AM.

A testament to the different nature of our jobs, I suppose. I'm firmly in the 9-5 Monday-Friday crowd, like many office workers. Although I do work in the field a fair bit. Tomorrow morning I'm headed straight out to a few jobsites and won't be in the office until about lunchtime.

Beyond that, I do not "report" to work. Nobody is keeping track of when I come and go and nobody really cares so long as I'm around when needed and get my work done. I work 9-5 since that's what people generally do, but I could just as easily work 8-4 or 10-6 if I wanted. Or 9-4 one day and 9-6 the next... it's quite flexible. In theory I could work 9-7 Monday to Thursday and take Friday off without using vacation time. Or, more practically, work a few extra hours early in the work and take Friday off using only, say, 5 hours of vacation time instead of 8 (this I have actually done). So long as it adds up to at least 40 hours for the week, all's well.

I need something loud to reliably wake me up. I used to have a quieter alarm clock when I was in college and there were a few occasions where I slept straight through it and missed class.

And I need it to be an annoying sound to make me drag my ass out of bed to shut it off. I am NOT a morning person!

Get to work by 9? :O Except for the time when I was working in a waitstaff position, the latest I have ever been allowed to get to work is by 7:30AM. I think the earliest I've reported to work is 5:30AM.

A testament to the different nature of our jobs, I suppose. I'm firmly in the 9-5 Monday-Friday crowd, like many office workers. Although I do work in the field a fair bit. Tomorrow morning I'm headed straight out to a few jobsites and won't be in the office until about lunchtime.

I guess this is a difference of the personnel. I've spent most of my time working among Type A people who show up to work at 5:30 just because they can. (I'm usually about 30 minutes early myself.) However, with few exceptions, everyone is required to show up for work at 7:30AM as "core hours" start then and continue to 4:00PM.

This quarter, I have set my alarm to be 7:00AM and the sound is the default "marimba" rimgtone. I am thinking about getting a 30 second ringtone that starts quiet than gets louder or possibly 2 ringtones to have alarms set to go off ten minutes apart.

--Ocram

I suggest a sunrise clock. (I can't find the model I have which doesn't bode well for when I need a replacement bulb.)

Anyway, it's a clock with a light that comes on gradually. Starts dim, then slowly gets very bright, then starts chirping.

Much less jarring than a blaring alarm.

The light aspect does not work. Your eyes receive no input while you are sleeping and you remain blind for ten seconds after you wake up. Most people don't notice it because they usually keep their eyes closed. I have noticed the temporary blindness as well as sleep paralysis once or twice upon waking up. It is far more efficient to set two alarms of differing volumes, one quiet and harmonious (unlikely to wake you up) and one that gets progressively louder.

--Ocram

• Original Poster
  • I guess this is a difference of the personnel. I've spent most of my time working among Type A people who show up to work at 5:30 just because they can. (I'm usually about 30 minutes early myself.) However, with few exceptions, everyone is required to show up for work at 7:30AM as "core hours" start then and continue to 4:00PM.

I'd say it's the nature of the job. We don't have "core hours". Much of what I do could be done at 2 AM if I were so inclined.

But yes, it's also personnel. My boss is rarely in the office since there is little he needs to do that he cannot do from home. He frequently joins meetings via conference call, and he's not the only one (our sales guys spend most of their time out of the office). Meanwhile, my immediate manager says we're all big boys and nobody needs to babysit us. All he asks is to be given a heads up if I'm going to be out of the office for a significant chunk of time. There is no scrutiny and no questions asked about when or where I am "at work" otherwise.

I guess this is a difference of the personnel. I've spent most of my time working among Type A people who show up to work at 5:30 just because they can. (I'm usually about 30 minutes early myself.) However, with few exceptions, everyone is required to show up for work at 7:30AM as "core hours" start then and continue to 4:00PM.

I'd say it's the nature of the job. We don't have "core hours". Much of what I do could be done at 2 AM if I were so inclined.

But yes, it's also personnel. My boss is rarely in the office since there is little he needs to do that he cannot do from home. He frequently joins meetings via conference call, and he's not the only one (our sales guys spend most of their time out of the office). Meanwhile, my immediate manager says we're all big boys and nobody needs to babysit us. All he asks is to be given a heads up if I'm going to be out of the office for a significant chunk of time. There is no scrutiny and no questions asked about when or where I am "at work" otherwise.

nice Duke 25000 posts !

My alarm is set for 6:20am but I usually don't get up until 6:40am and I keep hitting that snooze button! It's like a decompression procedure or something, I have to gradually wake up and living in UK its always so cold and dark during winter times :-(, I have just come back from holiday in Thailand so getting up in the mornings is the most depressing horrible thing ever at the moment.

Most of the times 7:30 to 9. It depends on when I go to sleep. I only have 8 hours of class a week, and all of them are in the afternoon, so that has quite a negative impact on my productivity (since I stay in bed too long...)

I usually don't sleep in, s I usually wake up at 6:30-7:00. But during the summer, I really don't care when I wake up or fall asleep.