Sign in to follow this  
Scryan

Water pipes bursting with full funding

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi All,

New to Sim City 4, picked it up cheap second hand.

Began adding water supplies to my city, but when I begin adding water pipes they just constantly burst 10-20 burst at a time. Funding for water on the utilities is maxed out, funding on each pumping station is also maxed out and this is all the advice I can find on the internet.

This has completely ruined the game until I find a solution as it has now become a 'fix the pipe' game instead. All pipes are connected with no dead-ends, Capacity on the pumphouses were greater than maximum (around 21000 / 20000) but adding 5 more made no difference?

Where am I going wrong?

thanks, scryan

Do you mean burst as in sound or in water supply. If it makes the bursting sound, it's perfectly fine, just a sound affect.

P.S. You don't really need to add water until your city reaches about 5,000 residents. :}

You're going to have to clarify what you mean by "burst". When you lay pipes, they make a hollow metallic sound, like someone hitting it with a wrench. Is that what you're talking about, or is this something visual you see happening, as in water splashing everywhere?

First, let's see exactly what game you got second-hand. Please post your .exe version number. Find the SimCity 4.exe file in Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4\Apps and hover your mouse over it. On W7 or 8 windows explorer should report the version number of the file. Earlier versions, right click and get the version tab on the Properties page. Even the earliest version of this game has a post-release patch.

You're going to have to clarify what you mean by "burst". When you lay pipes, they make a hollow metallic sound, like someone hitting it with a wrench. Is that what you're talking about, or is this something visual you see happening, as in water splashing everywhere?

No, water splashing everywhere isn't even possible in this game.

No, water splashing everywhere isn't even possible in this game.

That's why I asked him what he meant by "burst". ;) I mean, when a pipe bursts, don't you normally see water splashing around everywhere flooding everything?

Like this: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbo=d&biw=1596&bih=773&site=imghp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=water+pipe+burst&oq=water+pipe+burst&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i24l8.168930.174114.0.174382.17.16.0.1.1.0.149.1399.12j4.16.0...0.0...1c.1j2.VVUdll2KpZI

You do get little pipe bursting animations in Sim City too. Are you sure the pipe is actually bursting? Are you sure it's not just a hydrant as does happen on the streets? It's best to supply a pic to be fair.

Exactly....or at least a bit more clarification on what they mean by "burst". :meh:

• Original Poster
  • Version number says 1.0.233.0

I mean actual water bursting, where a small animation of what looks like water is coming from the pipes, that when unfixed gradually disappear. This causes some of my buildings to sink as well as mean I cannot save the game and exit during a disaster. Within 5 seconds of unpausing the game about 10 new bursts appear.

Also my city has either just passed or is about to pass 5000 residents.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Version number says 1.0.233.0

I do believe you have the original, non-Rush Hour version of SimCity 4. An unpatched one, too. Go here, read and accept the terms, click on "SC4 Update( Original Version)", then download the update applicable for your region.

See if that helps...by the way, unless you get the Rush Hour expansion or Deluxe (SC4 + Rush Hour), you will not be able to use the vast majority of mods/buildings available on this or any other fan site. If you already put things into your plugins, remove them immediately.

If you continue having problems with your copy, it may be damaged. You shouldn't be encountering whack-a-mole water pipe problems. Might I suggest a copy from Steam? 19.99 at the moment, but wait a couple weeks until we're closer to Christmas...Steam tends to have sales, damn good ones at that. SC4D can drop down to about 5.99...

If Steam doesn't suit your fancy, there's GamersGate, Origin, and Amazon can send you a physical copy...

Version number says 1.0.233.0

I mean actual water bursting, where a small animation of what looks like water is coming from the pipes, that when unfixed gradually disappear. This causes some of my buildings to sink as well as mean I cannot save the game and exit during a disaster. Within 5 seconds of unpausing the game about 10 new bursts appear.

Also my city has either just passed or is about to pass 5000 residents.

Thanks for all the replies so far

Well, you are running SimCity 4, the original game. Basically it is good and obsolete and you can't run 99% of the stuff on the exchanges. You would be best to purchase a copy of the digital download SimCity 4 Deluxe from Amazon, GamersGate, Steam or Origin as mentioned above (with links). The advantages of this move are:

1. All published patches have been applied
    2. Diskless operation. No play disk is needed.
    3. Any mod or lot on the exchanges can be used (with care and sense).

With the version you have, you need the published fix that can be found here. Accept the agreement and proceed. Be sure you get the right patch.