Sign in to follow this  
Prah

Sistergame to the SimCity-series: The Sims Series

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

Since I couldn't find a thread about these games (and if there is one it's probably dead and long back in the forum) I created one.

Since the SC4 have a history with both the classic The Sims (you could import your sims from TS to SC4) and it's sequel The Sims 2 (You could make the terrains in SC4 and "import" to TS2) I think we should have a thread about these games + the "prequel"-sequel The Sims 3.

Does anyone play this anymore or is it just a "dead" game here?

I started playing The Sims about 7 years ago. Then I got into The Sims 2 and played it for about two years or so. Making cities for TS2 got me interested in SC4. My interest in SC4 brought me here, this site got me into CXL and back into SC4. :D

I'm still playing TS3. I bought World Adventures, Late Night and Ambitions. The next EPs haven't got me interested one bit, but Seasons seems like it could be a great game. I haven't bought it yet, time will tell if I do.

prequel-sequel? dafuq?

anyways, I play sims 3 every now and then and used to play 1 and 2 back in it's days.

sometimes it bores me to hell after 5 minutes and sometimes I get stuck at it for 5 hrs straight.

btw I think we used to have a dedicated sims sub-forum a couple yrs ago, god knows where this went...

• Original Poster
  • GMT: Yes, "Prequel"-sequel, The Timeline goes like this:

The Sims 3 (Set 25 years before The Sims Classic)

The Sims Classic

The Sims 2 (Set 25 years after The Sims Classic)

btw I think we used to have a dedicated sims sub-forum a couple yrs ago, god knows where this went...

We certainly did... it was only fairly recently that is went the way of the do-do. Probably around the Summer, perhaps.

As for me, I've been playing The Sims Series for over 12 years, got the original a few months after it came out.

I've been addicted ever since. Fond memories of all the games... it has been fun watching the series evolve. :)

GMT: Yes, "Prequel"-sequel, The Timeline goes like this:

The Sims Classic

any proof of this assumed timeline?

to me, the sims games seem w/o any dedicated timeframe, neither in game nor between the titles, but all 3 happen - judging from the more or less similar content in terms of objects - in a somewhat contemporary era (except the medieval spinoff of course) to our current date.

I can't think of something like a story or content-related hook to hang a "this game happens prior to that" onto.

house building life-simulation with a lot of realistic or plausible stuff from "our days" and a bunch of game-ish weirdnesses characteristic to the series...

The Sims Classic

to me, the sims games seem w/o any dedicated timeframe, neither in game nor between the titles, but all 3 happen - judging from the more or less similar content in terms of objects - in a somewhat contemporary era (except the medieval spinoff of course) to our current date.

I can't think of something like a story or content-related hook to hang a "this game happens prior to that" onto.

house building life-simulation with a lot of realistic or plausible stuff from "our days" and a bunch of game-ish weirdnesses characteristic to the series...

The timeline is correct. In The Sims Classic, Mortimer Goth is an adult. In The Sims 2, he is an elder (making it a sequel, story wise, to the original) while in The Sims 3, he is a child (making TS3 a prequel, story wise, to the original).

Also see: http://sims.wikia.co...t_Valley#Trivia

I think the storyline is not meant to be something the is all-encompassing, but rather just something on the side. It's like the family stories, really. The game is open ended, they just add an element of "time" to it through stories.

Yeah, Sunset Valley and Pleasant View were both in the same canon as the Sims 1 neighborhood. Most other worlds/neighborhoods of the Sims 3 take place after the Sims 2, such as Bridgeport.

--Ocram

The Sims Classic

The timeline is correct. In The Sims Classic, Mortimer Goth is an adult. In The Sims 2, he is an elder (making it a sequel, story wise, to the original) while in The Sims 3, he is a child (making TS3 a prequel, story wise, to the original).

Also see: http://sims.wikia.co...t_Valley#Trivia

I think the storyline is not meant to be something the is all-encompassing, but rather just something on the side. It's like the family stories, really. The game is open ended, they just add an element of "time" to it through stories.

thanks for the heads up.

wow, never bothered about the lives of the other sims around me, especially not the "prefab" sims, unless it's woohoo time or a need of other social interactions :D ... not to mention finding links between the titles...

you learn something new every day... :party:

I don't know if I would call the Sims a sister game for SC4, I would view the relationship between the two more as adopted step siblings lol.  I have Sims 3 and play it randomly when I need a respite from my mayoral duties.  The game is engaging for maybe an hour or so but I tend to lose interest micro-managing someone else's life.  Don't get me wrong, I think the Sims franchise was a great idea and somewhat original for the company to pursue, it's just not something I enjoy too much.

I mainly use The Sims 2 for architectural creativity. I am currently working on a large, modern mansion in the Sims 2. I have been trying to upload it to MTS2 but the rooms were previously way too big.

--Ocram

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Sims 3 to be honest. The graphics were only slightly better than two, neighborhood editing tools should've been placed within the game, and besides have 5 character traits per person and a bunch of textures... It was simply a more advanced version of the Sims 2, instead of being many levels above it.

I actually started disliking the way careers are set up, the promotional ladder for every career can be so 1-Dimensional. I feel like the next sequel to the Sims should really allow for an immense diversity of things within the game. Highly versatile careers, color filters for the game, in-game neighborhood editor mode (like a mini-God mode), and not just simple "traits" which give someone an either "yes" or "no" to a certain trait... I always tend to find the game is too rigid and could be much more fluid with actions and character behavior. Almost making it seem like the traits are barely even there to begin with.

I agree with you. However, some features of the world editor were added in an expansion pack and patch to the game. You can't change the roads, but you can add new lots, trees as well as decorations. I for one, though, am a huge fun of the texture and color editor... Definitely helps in building some more unique houses. :)

I plonked down many hours into the original Sims and its expansions, as well as 2. The Sims 3 is fun... when it works properly. Even with the overwatch mod it still gets the stutters occasionally, and lately it's been crashing to desktop. It has so much potential only to mired by all of those major bugs.