Sign in to follow this  
hyperthrow

Playing game w/media in background?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

When I played SC4 on XP I could have my GOM player going in the background with whatever I wanted. Since I switched to 7 I can no longer do that. Anyone know how I can change that?

Not sure on that one. Whenever i played, I had itunes radio going on in the background. Sometimes while zooming in or out, the song playing would skip slightly, but I never had any issues on Windows 7. I do know that running them together eats alot of CPU power, so maybe for you, its competing and deferring to SC4, giving all the resource to it. I think you can make adjustments in control panel (change energy settings, or allow more RAM to be freed up), or access this thru Program Manager, I am not sure. Again, I never had any problems so far using Win7...

I sometimes use my Rhythmbox player without interference, but mostly I run the muzak channels on my cable TV system for music. However, with the game allocated to a single core, I don't have any trouble with big apps running in the background. Could it be that Linux is just a better task dispatcher than Windows? At the moment I have about 100 tasks running, mostly sleeping on various wait conditions. When I add SC4 to all this, I get two or three extra tasks, which is a drop in the bucket. This is not much of a machine.

• Original Poster
  • Yeah, I can be playing a movie and as soon as the game launches the movie stops and my comp. gives everything to the game. I haven't been able to find any settings to change that.

HAHA I just figured it out. Very simple, the GOM player needs to be minimized to the task bar. If it's fully open it won't play.

Very likely, since this puts it in the background.

As for playing a movie and SC4, which screen do you watch, or do you have more than one?