Sign in to follow this  
lhrob

What governs the direction the arrows face when placing zones?

16 posts in this topic Last Reply

When laying out commercial or residential zones, is there a way to get the arrows to point in the direction you want them to point...ie. toward the street/road, like they're supposed to, instead of aiming for the highway or an empty lot?

Similarly, why, when placing lots, do they sometimes turn blue when their arrows are pointing toward a blank empty space, but then stay red when the arrow is facing a road?

To my knowledge they face towards roads with higher "priority", from lowest to highest: Street -> One Way Road -> Road -> RHW False Intersection -> Avenue. It ignores Highways (including RHW) completely and will go to absurd lengths to prohibit facing a tile with Rail, ElRail or Monorail paths.

The front of any building (indicated by the arrow of course) has to face a road, no matter what. Although there is a priority on what road the buildings will face, you can rotate it to face ANOTHER avenue/road/street. Rotating it to face open ground or railways is not possible. As to the second question, it could be a bug. Just guessing.

• Original Poster
  • Okay, I kinda figured it was a bug that wasn't letting the lot turn blue when facing a road.

Regarding route priority...when zoning a residential zone, I've encountered arrows trying to point toward a highway that was several tiles away, even though the tile I was zoning was right next to a street. It was so frustrating that I said "forget it". If Wiimeiser is correct, and the arrows ignore highways, then I'm stumped. How far away from a "higher priority" route does a lot have to be before it will point the arrow in the correct direction?

My example: I've tried to create a subdivision that is bordered on 3 sides by roads, and the 4th side is an avenue. Within the subdivision, I have streets with cul-de-sacs at the ends. On one of the streets, there are 2 tiles between the "tip" of the cul-de-sac and the avenue, so I want to zone for a single-family unit on the tile at the tip - but I want the arrow to face the cul-de-sac at the end of the street. However, it insists on pointing toward the avenue. Is there any way at all to force the arrow to face the street instead of the avenue. Or does it really not matter?

Yes, the 'route priority' thing is very annoying. What I often have to do is bulldoze nearby roads to get the zones to face the way I want them to (then replace them). Especially in this situation:

RRRRR

Z

Z

ZZSZZ

ZZSZZ

• Original Poster
  • Yes, exactly! That "z" right above the "s" in your post is what I'm talking about, and it's being a thorn in my side. I guess I may have to bulldoze the avenue and try to zone, then rebuild the avenue.

I always tried to use ALT or CTRL when placing those type of zones. I haven't been in it for some time, but I think Alt changes the pointer direction, while Ctrl removes inner zone lines (or vice versa??) to make one unbroken zone. I still on rare occasion get that pesky zone that will not point to the street/road it sits on, I actually get this more with ploppables than anything else. Hold the proper button (I think its Alt..) after you have created the zone, but not before you release the mouse button. You will notice the change, if it works, release the mouse before releasing Alt. (or Ctrl if i got them mixed up...).

Similarly, why, when placing lots, do they sometimes turn blue when their arrows are pointing toward a blank empty space, but then stay red when the arrow is facing a road?

Are the lots in question transit-enabled? (ie, several ploppables have sections that are designed to drag a street, road, or rail into). If so, that's probably not a bug, it means that the transit-enabled section is barred from making the connection. In other words, in a lot with transit-enabled connections on the sides, if there is a highway/onramp/whatever directly adjacent to that, it will be red even though intuitively you'd think you could plop it (based on the arrow)

In response to what I wrote above, here (below) is a picture that I hope makes it more clear what I'm talking about. Both of these lots are identical 3x3 hooha parking lots, oriented the same way (with the arrow pointing to the horizontal street). As you can see with the one on the right, it's possible to draw streets out from both sides of the lot in addition to the front. On the left, now there is an obstruction (the NAM viaduct ramp). Since there's no way to draw a street into the lot, it appears red, even though the arrow is oriented correctly. If I were to rotate the lot, it would turn blue -- even though the arrow doesn't point to the "fronting" street. But there are no more obstructions.

6mAAx.jpg

I'm not sure if this helps, or if it's the problem you're talking about, but when I was first working with transit-enabled lots it took me a while to learn this, so hopefully this helps someone!

• Original Poster
  • I always tried to use ALT or CTRL when placing those type of zones. I haven't been in it for some time, but I think Alt changes the pointer direction, while Ctrl removes inner zone lines (or vice versa??) to make one unbroken zone. I still on rare occasion get that pesky zone that will not point to the street/road it sits on, I actually get this more with ploppables than anything else. Hold the proper button (I think its Alt..) after you have created the zone, but not before you release the mouse button. You will notice the change, if it works, release the mouse before releasing Alt. (or Ctrl if i got them mixed up...).

Well, I used the ALT key like you suggested, and it changed the direction of the arrow, but it's still not pointing to the cul-de-sac. However, I never knew you could use the ALT key to change the direction of the arrow, so I still want to thank you for posting that tip. You taught me something I didn't know! :thumb:

• Original Poster
  • Tubbster - no, the lot isn't transit enabled. It was just a 3x4 custom retail store that I was trying to plop.

In response to what I wrote above, here (below) is a picture that I hope makes it more clear what I'm talking about. Both of these lots are identical 3x3 hooha parking lots, oriented the same way (with the arrow pointing to the horizontal street). As you can see with the one on the right, it's possible to draw streets out from both sides of the lot in addition to the front. On the left, now there is an obstruction (the NAM viaduct ramp). Since there's no way to draw a street into the lot, it appears red, even though the arrow is oriented correctly. If I were to rotate the lot, it would turn blue -- even though the arrow doesn't point to the "fronting" street. But there are no more obstructions.

6mAAx.jpg

I'm not sure if this helps, or if it's the problem you're talking about, but when I was first working with transit-enabled lots it took me a while to learn this, so hopefully this helps someone!

Yes, I was trying to plop it next to an overpass near a highway. It looked just like the screenshot you posted...arrow pointing toward street, but not changing to blue...but it wasn't a transit-enabled lot. So I don't know. At any rate, I eventually located it somewhere else and was able to get a different lot to work in that spot.

Tubbster - no, the lot isn't transit enabled. It was just a 3x4 custom retail store that I was trying to plop.

6mAAx.jpg

Yes, I was trying to plop it next to an overpass near a highway. It looked just like the screenshot you posted...arrow pointing toward street, but not changing to blue...but it wasn't a transit-enabled lot. So I don't know. At any rate, I eventually located it somewhere else and was able to get a different lot to work in that spot.

This problem here has to do with some REALLY tiny protrusion on the corners of some transit network pieces--those are annoying as hell, as they force a tile to remain effectively useless aside from vegetation.