Sign in to follow this  
elavery

Mayor rating suddenly tanking

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

I am currently building a city for my CJ (so there is a lot of plopping and lot editing going on). The city has reached about 20,000 people and is over 100 years old. For seemingly no reason the mayor rating has gone from being the maximum approval to very bad. I now have riots all the time - very frustrating when I am trying to create a city! I have high desirability in all areas with the only problem being the occasional gap in police coverage. Lots of educational facilities, hospitals, commute time isn't too bad. I don't think I have many NIMBYs, or immortal lots which can also cause issues. I am using the moolah cheat for cash - not sure if that is relevant.

Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this or what I can do to fix it?

Did you by any chance happen to delete some PEG scenic drive kit lots? I found that when I deleted them (had made a large parking area with them years ago, wanted to improve it) that my mayor rating tanked to red in a huge area around them. I tried replacing the lots with parks, let the simulator run for 50 years but still no change. After destroying the parks and replacing the scenic drive lots, my major rating returned to normal.

I'm going to go out on a limb and ask a couple of questions, though I'm honestly not sure if this really matters...

Have you tried removing the police stations and replacing them? Or maybe adding another one? How large is your city? Is it spread out, or do you still have room left to expand? I'm only asking, because I read in an SC4 blog one time that someone had the same problem as you do....city not growing, mayor rating tumbling, etc....and the advice he gave was to start bulldozing established parts of your city, and then restructuring them. Take out zones, remove roads, relocate parks, blow up bridges, etc...but do it in small sections at a time. Then rebuild everything. Put new roads in, but reconfigure the layout. Change the types of parks, and maybe put a small commercial zone at a corner in a residential neighborhood where there wasn't one before. Then watch as it all rebuilds itself to see if the mayor rating improves.

Of course, make sure you have a backup of your city first before doing any of that. But somehow a city will reach a plateau and not continue growing, at which point the sims see the mayor as inefficient/incapable of doing his job. By "seeing" that "new" things are happening in your city, it might make his rating come up.

Just a thought.

• Original Poster
  • My city is on a large tile and is only about half developed. I have 0 taxes, all the city ordinances checked, no garbage, power, or water issues. I also have well funded schools. I looked at the mayor rating map and it seems to be worse in some parts of the cities, but in no part of the city is the rating high. A park I created in LE seemed to be at the middle of the bad area so I bulldozed it, and replaced it with a large commercial building but that didn't seem to change anything in terms of mayor rating. After placing a large police station in the same area at least the riots stopped. I am completely mystified by all of this!

My city is on a large tile and is only about half developed. I have 0 taxes, all the city ordinances checked.....

Maybe that's part of the problem. Have you legalized gambling? That will cause your crime to go up, as well as make Sims unhappy.

• Original Poster
  • Gambling is not legalized and I only checked the city ordinances once the mayor rating tanked. I was just trying anything to see if I could get the rating back up. Does anyone know if having a large number LE creations would affect things?

It would only take one error in one of the LE lots to raise havoc. I hope you tested each one in your sandbox. If you can isolate the problem lot you can probably fix it.

Playing with the system internals is identical to programming. It has to be tested and often debugged. Programming occurs in the BAt the PIM, and the LE even though you are being completely sheltered from the generated code. Graphical objects don't exist in a computer other than as machine code. Take a hex dump of a lot file and you can find both the data and the code segments.