Sign in to follow this  
velve

Inter Regional Traffic non existant?

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

So Firstly I am using the latest NAM and the hotfix.

I have made a main mid sized city about 30k or so and ive laid down a transit network over about 4 tiles in varying sizes to my other smaller town about 5k, in between the two I made a small rural community that lies just off the avenue connecting the two larger towns. Ive never noticed this but you get rewards like the tourist trap and a hotel after the advisors pop up telling you that you have so much regional traffic you should build this yada yada.

Thing is though I dont have any I use the traffic query and there is absolutely no traffic lol, there is also no automata. It would be nice to know how many of my long commuting sims use this network is it perhaps a bug or just non existant in SC4.

Yet when there are two towns adjacent to each other you can see the commute from your neighbour. My hypothesis on this is perhaps the amount of time spent working on each town my large town is in the year 212 and the rest are by far way lower not even 50 years, could this be that each town still needs to catch up in terms of years with the other, As I do not play round robin This is what I was thinking, sorry for the long message its probably something simple but i was just wondering thanks in advance guys

1. Regarding automata not shown - Please turn to the technical forum here, maybe therte are some pinned threads that address this problem. :read:

2. The element of time in SC4 is not universal. You can develop towns in different years and their connections (transit, deals etc.) act as if it's on the same time-space continuum... ^_^

3. If you can't find a related thread at the tech forum, please when you post a new thread, make sure you attach thumbnails of the game, especially the query showing no traffic.

So, even though I didn't solve you this issue (I am not great with tech support) I hope that it helped you a bit.

Nono the year thing doesnt matter. I'm 99% sure it is because sims won't travel through more then one city tile so if you have cities a,b,c,d noone will live in a and work in d... its just how the game works. However I have seen on occasion a,b,c but that was cutting a corner and it almost never happens. Commuting really only works out with adjacent tiles. So youve done nothing wrong and there is no bug in my opinion... I think you are just noticing how the game works

• Original Poster
  • Alright thanks to the both of you, I had a feeling there wasnt something up that it was just due to the mechanics behind the game.

As to the automata I have looked into all aspects of it before regarding NAM's radical traffic as well as Ive replaced it by the persistent automata and all settings to max. so there can be nothing wrong with what ive done its just not showing, oh well at least the game realizes that the town is part of the regional commute even though there are no stats shown towards this.

Ive also just realized the amount of time it takes for the NAM traffic query to update, I thought at first after querying some industrial areas showing no commuters that it can take quite a while before it calculates the paths. quick question though when talk is about a "game month"would that be the games say 12/04/212 value or 30 actual 24 hours passed when hovering on the date?

I'm 99% sure it is because sims won't travel through more then one city tile so if you have cities a,b,c,d noone will live in a and work in d... its just how the game works.

This is simply not true, not in the vanilla game, and even less so when using the NAM. Commute time used is reset to zero every time the Sims cross a city border. I have a region where tens of thousands of Sims commute multiple large city tiles to get to and from work.

quick question though when talk is about a "game month"would that be the games say 12/04/212 value or 30 actual 24 hours passed when hovering on the date?

A game month is just when a month passes on the game's calendar.

Of course, that brings us back to a related question from another thread: When a month passes, where does it go? :???: