Sign in to follow this  
Zeck180

A very unfortunate situation

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

So after several months of not playing SC4, I decided to re-install it, everything going fine until the activation code appeared. I hit a snag, I can not find my activation code (thus I do not know where I put my manual).

Now I did a google search to see what I need to do to get it back, I stumbled upon this http://www.simtropolis.com/omnibus/_/simcity-4/reference/recover-your-lost-sc4-installation-id-by-swat-medic-r49 Well I went through all the steps, all okay then when I get to expand the EA Games folder, and since the game isn't installed it's not in the EA folder. So what do I do?

Are you using a Windows 7 64-bit system? If so, look under the HKLM key > Software > Wow6432node. You should see Electronic Arts and Maxis listed there. Oh wait, you said the game isn't installed. If that's the case, I'm not sure what you could do short of buying a new copy of the game. Are you sure the code isn't printed on the jewel case the game disks came in? That's where mine was - not in the manual.

Mine is on the last page of the manual. I personally think its a dumb thing to do. You don't have to put in some code to play play station or Xbox games. I don't see the reason for it :(

Well, some of us are more meticulous than others. I still have the original box, disks, and manuals that came in it for both the first edition and the Rush Hour expansion pack. I've shelved them because the original installation disks no longer read properly and I purchased a new digital copy from Gamersgate.

Maybe it is because I've been in the business for a long time, but program documentation is something I tend to keep forever, through however many moves. It is a good habit to get into, and know where things are.

If you have a left over registry entry (you won't have if you've done a fresh windows install) you should be able to find it. Failing that, the digital download is worth the full price because it comes fully patched and runs without a play disk. You can also install it as often as you like.

@ ryandrums - mentioning torrents can get you banned.

I would direct you to forum rules but I can't find them, which in itself is ridiculous.

I know another member with better search powers than I will be along to post the appropriate link.

edit: I type to slow... :D

I would probably just end up buying another copy. You probably can get one pretty cheap ($10 or less) since the game is so old and a new version is coming out early next year. I tend to keep all my boxes, disks and manuals like A Nonny Moose. As an example, I just reloaded SimCity 3000 for my daughter on an old computer (so she would stop bugging me to play SC4 on mine :D ). I still had all the original stuff that came with the game.