Sign in to follow this  
Mr Saturn64

Minecraft: bad video card drivers!?

24 posts in this topic Last Reply

So I was going to go play Minecraft so I could go to a pvp server except when I logged onto Minecraft it took forever to load and instead of loading I got a notice that said:

MINECRAFT

Bad video card drivers!

I saw a video on how to fix it on Windows 7 but I tried it and it didn't help. But I do like how Mojang uses a sense of humor in their error messages. Anyway, how is this fixed?

What is your video card?

If it is AMD/ATI go to their website and update your drivers.

If it is nVidia go to their website and update them.

If this doesn't work your in the same boat as me and have to buy a video card with OpenGL Accelerated mode.

didn't your game work previously?

anyways, try doing a clean installation of the drivers. dunno bout ati, but nvidia drivers offer this option when installing newer driver versions.

• Original Poster
  • didn't your game work previously?

anyways, try doing a clean installation of the drivers. dunno bout ati, but nvidia drivers offer this option when installing newer driver versions.

It did, I have no idea what the heck happened

What is your video card?

If it is AMD/ATI go to their website and update your drivers.

If it is nVidia go to their website and update them.

If this doesn't work your in the same boat as me and have to buy a video card with OpenGL Accelerated mode.

I have an AMD/ATI so I hope that works

Thanks for the help!

this sounds like some serious hickup.

all that's left is to either do tedious work in finding if you caught yourself some malicious software/virus and getting rid of it, or simply to reset your pc/laptop to factory and see what happens then

because, if you still run into errors with a "clean" system, then I fear we're talking about defective hardware

• Original Poster
  • this sounds like some serious hickup.

all that's left is to either do tedious work in finding if you caught yourself some malicious software/virus and getting rid of it, or simply to reset your pc/laptop to factory and see what happens then

because, if you still run into errors with a "clean" system, then I fear we're talking about defective hardware

Yeah, but the real question is, if I do that, will I lose data on Minecraft or Sim City 4 or whatever the heck else?

Yeah, but the real question is, if I do that, will I lose data on Minecraft or Sim City 4 or whatever the heck else?

to quote the nespresso add with george clooney: make an educated guess. what was there as you got your pc?

You do a reset, you lose everything you didn't backup, unless you happen to have 2 hdd in your system and everything os is seperate from the necessities of life like savegames, music, ... in most cases, only the hdd or hdd partition holding the os get's wiped (most usually it's the c:\ drive). Unless you arranged it otherwise, this includes everything in your user folder, from music to savegames to documents. And of course Minecraft, since you can't chance the isntallation directory of it

• Original Poster
  • OK, so I attempted all this and I still got the "bad video card" message. I used the Windows update, but I still keep on getting it. Is my computer low on memory?

And another question, we had to download some programs to make the Christmas cards this year, and after that was done, I went to play Minecraft because I had just laid the foundation for a new building and I wanted that done. I suspect that that (love using the same word 2 times) that something in those programs did something to the video card driver and that caused this whole bad mean ugly problem that makes me want to hit a creeper on the head with a sledgehammer.

windows update ain't factory reset, you know...

windows update only brings windows related content up to date, big news.

video card drivers and everything else remains untouched.

you can still try to find out if there's a bad virus on your system, I suggest you find yourself a "professional" forum for this, there's many tech forums out there that specializes on guiding people through a thorough system check (that is. if you manage to give them system specs, which you didn't do here even tho asked for)

for a system reset, which is a radical but most likely the most successfull way:

grab you windows installation disc, boot the pc from there and select whatever comes closet to re-installation of windows. this most likely resets your c:\ drive to factory.

if your pc came without a windows cd, you were most likely prompted to create a backup disc at first start up... ok I know nobody does this but who cares mentioning it?

in that case, refer to your manual, it shoud give you directions on how to reach the backup utility when booting your pc (or google how to do it for your pc), from here, you can do a factory reset aswell

but like I said already, better back up the ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY files prior to doing this, you'll lose everything that's saved on the same drive as your windows.

• Original Poster
  • I decided (apologies) that I did not want to do a factory reset. I found a website to download an accelerated glmode, so I did. So I turn on mncf and I get...

BAD VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

And a question I have is, not to sound stupid, (which I am) is, is the video card driver a pyshical thing that I can replace, or is it something in the computers data?

• Original Poster
  • Here's the exact error message if you want it:

Bad video card drivers!

-----------------------

Minecraft was unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.

This can usually be fixed by updating the video card drivers.

--- BEGIN ERROR REPORT 7fe0271 --------

Generated 12/16/12 7:32 PM

-- System Details --

Details:

Minecraft Version: 1.4.5

Operating System: Windows 7 (amd64) version 6.1

Java Version: 1.6.0_17, Sun Microsystems Inc.

Java VM Version: Java HotSpot 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Sun Microsystems Inc.

Memory: 456370408 bytes (435 MB) / 514523136 bytes (490 MB) up to 954466304 bytes (910 MB)

JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xms512m -Xmx1024m

AABB Pool Size: 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 0 (0 bytes; 0 MB) used

Suspicious classes: No suspicious classes found.

IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0

LWJGL: 2.4.2

OpenGL: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

Is Modded: Probably not. Jar signature remains and client brand is untouched.

Type: Client (map_client.txt)

Texture Pack: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null

Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)

Vec3 Pool Size: ~~ERROR~~ NullPointerException: null[failed to get system properties (java.lang.NullPointerException)]

org.lwjgl.LWJGLException: Pixel format not accelerated

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.nChoosePixelFormat(Native Method)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsPeerInfo.choosePixelFormat(WindowsPeerInfo.java:52)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.WindowsDisplay.createWindow(WindowsDisplay.java:185)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.createWindow(Display.java:311)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:856)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:784)

at org.lwjgl.opengl.Display.create(Display.java:765)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.a(SourceFile:232)

at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.run(SourceFile:515)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

--- END ERROR REPORT d59bfc9f ----------

drivers are always software (I assume you know the difference between software and hardware)

Did you re-install your graphic card drivers?

if not, do so. And I am talking about a clean re-installation of these drivers, I suppose AMD/ATI setups are able to do so.

Your problem to figure out how this works, sorry, you've been asked several times to tell us your system specs without answer.

since you don't want to reset your system - which is perfectly fine - you should follow my advice to check for malicious software aka viruses with the help of a dedicated forum outside simtropolis, search the web to find one.

because there's no use in trying to work out the problem if you don't know the source. it could be everything from screwed up drivers over viruses to actually defective hardware...

good luck, I'm out

• Original Poster
  • I reinstalled the drivers, but I still get the error message. Not to sound negative, but I'm thinking about giving up

• Original Poster
  • HEY!!!! Do you want me to judge you on...

Ah, whatever. This post may as well be closed since I played Minecraft today