Sign in to follow this  
Charizard

Forgive me for being the elephant in the room, but this game looks like it's going to be a disaster (no pun intended) for traditional Simcity fans.

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

I was initially excited about this game since I still play Simcity 4 Deluxe to this day but then I uncovered a series of grim truths about it. I don't know what is going through EA/Maxis's head but they simply won't be able to keep traditional fans of the series on board with these kinds of changes/omissions. Here is a list of changes as compared to Simcity 4:

- No option 100% offline with single player mode.

- Always-on connection to Origin (EA servers).

- Limitations to players in fake single player mode.

- The presence of empty spaces not editable (useless empty spaces) with automatic road connections.

- Absence of terraforming.

- Absence of farms.

- Absence of power lines

- Absence of pipes

- Not being able to save your maps on the hard drive (you will not be able to reload the city to a stage prior to disasters).

- Road connections placed in a fixed and pre-determined location in the map.

- Airport City (the city is only one International Airport, occupying the entire map 2x2km).

- Absence of subway.

- Automatic road connections.

- Player doesn’t have complete control over the zoning by population density (almost automatic zoning).

- Dead space between all the buildings.

- Size of the maps is 2km by 2km (small maps).

- Not being able to control the regional transport.

- Modding restrictions.

Now people that are new to the Simcity series might not care about these things but Simcity veterans certainly do. I was originally going to pre-order this game for the European city sets but after reading about these big omissions I refrained from doing so. I don't want to waste $80 just like that and the game ends up being a flop. I don't really care about the multiplayer aspect of the game since it should be fun playing a region with other friends. But not being able to reload games after a disaster is an unacceptable omission. Also, no subways, pipes, power lines or farms? If they release these as DLC, that'll be a big slap to the face of traditional Simcity gamers. I think the biggest disappointment for me is the lack of modding features on release. If this game won't be fully moddable like Sc4, then there is no way in hell I am buying it because that's what made SC4 great. Why does EA always have to put a bad tarnish on great franchises like this? :/

• Original Poster
  • How many more threads of these do we need?

Cities XL beat Simcity 4 out ages go do to giant cities and realistic graphics.

Even if the new Simcity had all that stuff veteran players wouldn't touch it due to the graphics.

Are you kidding me? Cities XL might've had the graphics but the underlying engine and mechanics simply did not compete with the Simcity franchise. I think what a lot of Simcity veterans are asking for is Simcity 4 + superb 3D graphics + some small additions to the game that wouldn't make it simpler/worse than the previous entries in the franchise. Heck I'd even be able to live with the multiplayer component if they allowed saving. And honestly I don't see that many threads about these serious omissions from the game (on the first two pages of this board at least). It's better to discuss these things now than bury our heads in the sand and hope that things will work out for the best. I'm tired of EA ruining franchises that I've loved by shoving their business model (i.e. marketing towards the general videogaming audience as well as employing microtransactions) down once-great developers' throats.

I'm seriously thinking about cities XL. It seems like every time a new simcity video or information comes out, It makes me more nervous about pre ordering the game. I might wait in tell it actually comes out and see how it does in sales and reviews.

How many more threads of these do we need?

Even if the new Simcity had all that stuff veteran players wouldn't touch it due to the graphics.

Are you kidding me? Cities XL might've had the graphics but the underlying engine and mechanics simply did not compete with the Simcity franchise. I think what a lot of Simcity veterans are asking for is Simcity 4 + superb 3D graphics + some small additions to the game that wouldn't make it simpler/worse than the previous entries in the franchise. Heck I'd even be able to live with the multiplayer component if they allowed saving.

Even Simcity fans on this board are up in arms over the graphics being kiddy!

If they literally remade Simcity 4 using the glassbox engine while adding some new stuff, it would be a let down.

Fans do not want a rehash of Simcity 4, they want Simcity 5 to be a huge jump over Simcity 4, the same way 4 was to 3.

Getting a Simcity 5 that advances Simcity 4 formula in full 3D Graphics with twice as much content would take at least 5 years and hundred of millions of dollars.

The game would not turn a profit.

I have cities XL 2012 and to be honest I played it 10 times or so, but I cannot count how many times I have played SC4. Cities XL is full of bugs, the terraforming is appaling, and the only good thing is the graphics. I agree that SC5 should have used the same good SC3000/ SC4 formula with the graphics of Cities XL and to be brutally honest I am not looking forward to SC5 as I feel EA have gotten greedy and ruined the franchise, but my point still remains that realistically that despite the poorer graphics SC4 is superior merely because in 2012 almost 10 years after it's release there is still a thriving community, like what we are doing right now.

Are you kidding me? Cities XL might've had the graphics but the underlying engine and mechanics simply did not compete with the Simcity franchise. I think what a lot of Simcity veterans are asking for is Simcity 4 + superb 3D graphics + some small additions to the game that wouldn't make it simpler/worse than the previous entries in the franchise. Heck I'd even be able to live with the multiplayer component if they allowed saving.

If they literally remade Simcity 4 using the glassbox engine while adding some new stuff, it would be a let down.

Fans do not want a rehash of Simcity 4, they want Simcity 5 to be a huge jump over Simcity 4, the same way 4 was to 3.

Getting a Simcity 5 that advances Simcity 4 formula in full 3D Graphics with twice as much content would take at least 5 years and hundred of millions of dollars.

I personally think, that fans of SimCity 4 makes this game closer to SimCity 5 than Maxis/EA did. NAM team and many others makes very positive changes in gameplay of SimCity 4. It is a pity, that there is no source code of SimCity 4 available.

And honestly I don't see that many threads about these serious omissions from the game (on the first two pages of this board at least). It's better to discuss these things now than bury our heads in the sand and hope that things will work out for the best.

There may not be any dedicated threads for it but if you read the threads we do have you'd see every one filled with the same arguments over and over. Everything you've brought up have been discussed many times before.

Essentially every argument comes down the general direction of the game. "Open hobbyist sandbox" vs. "city simulation game"(emphasis on game). Users here want the former while Maxis/EA are moving the series further toward the latter.

So it's better to port CityVille from Facebook?

Many of the things on the list have not been confirmed and in some areas have even been negated by Maxis. The dead space was talked about in a blog. Airport city not a real thing it is a reginol project that takes up it's own space not city space. They also said there would be Airports in city. What limitations are there in single player? Modding Restrictions? We have seen power lines in the E3 trailer.

If I remember correctly this was copied and pasted off the blog Simcity 2013 the deception continues. What Deception they stated openly all of these things.

MOST IMPORTANTLY you stated the more expensive version the $80 one but you can get the game for $60. That when you take in for inflation equals the price of the buggy Simcity 4 not to include Simcity Rush Hour.

Also, no subways, pipes, power lines or farms?

Ah, thank you! Don’t have to build those things anymore!

Now, water pipes are built for me.

Farms were cool and all... But, what does it have to do with CITY simulation. Some users made fun of the small towns by calling it "Farmville". When Farmville was in Simcity 4 in the first place; you can zone as much as you please.

They probably didn't add them because they wanted to focus on city simulating instead of farm simulating.

Of course you don't have to build towns; you can do any sized city in the game. (Referring to style, not map size)

My list of complaints is far shorter:

-Maps too small (and lack of adjacent maps)

-No freeways, from the looks of it

-No subway

I don't mind the airport city; that's what most of the realism players on SC4 do anyway. Better to have one regional airport than an airport in every city like SC4. We have full density control through the roads, and you don't have to build a giant road to get high density. While I would like to be able to edit road connections, I don't mind having some sort of fixed highway network in the region. As for the dead space, we have screenshots that show buildings built closer together. A lot of the dead space seems to come from the fact that the developers like to build Southeast US type-cities, with giant patches of grass in the middle of town with nothing on them. It shouldn't be a problem for people like me who pack buildings as tightly as possible.

And honestly I don't see that many threads about these serious omissions from the game (on the first two pages of this board at least).

Yep, 'cause they've all been locked, and this one will be too, just you wait.

I have cities XL 2012 and to be honest I played it 10 times or so, but I cannot count how many times I have played SC4. Cities XL is full of bugs, the terraforming is appaling, and the only good thing is the graphics. I agree that SC5 should have used the same good SC3000/ SC4 formula with the graphics of Cities XL and to be brutally honest I am not looking forward to SC5 as I feel EA have gotten greedy and ruined the franchise, but my point still remains that realistically that despite the poorer graphics SC4 is superior merely because in 2012 almost 10 years after it's release there is still a thriving community, like what we are doing right now.

That's entirely subjective. I bet you haven't played CXL for a couple of years, right? CXL has a very active and growing community that has been drastically improving the game. IMO its a serious rival for SC4 and is certainly better than this new SimVillage game.

Farms were cool and all... But, what does it have to do with CITY simulation. Some users made fun of the small towns by calling it "Farmville". When Farmville was in Simcity 4 in the first place; you can zone as much as you please.

They probably didn't add them because they wanted to focus on city simulating instead of farm simulating.

Of course you don't have to build towns; you can do any sized city in the game. (Referring to style, not map size)

Where to begin?

First, you're exactly right, there are no farms. Just another feature just about every other citybuilder has but this one.

Secondly, if they wanted to focus so much on "CITY" simulation, why did they give us only enough room to make a village with? You can certainly watch those little Sims go to work and then come home at a different house that they left from, and perhaps be hit by a meteor in their sleep, but you'll never be able to realistically simulate a city if you can't build one to begin with.

And yes, you can only build villages, realistically. 1 sq. kilometer of developed land surrounded by empty stretches of grass does not constitute a realistic city, in any sense of the word.

This is not SimCity. This is not Farmville, as you can't even build farms. This is SimVillage.

Right and wrong...

Whether or the game is liked or disliked is not the issue. The issue is that all of the points listed have been brought up in numerous threads, including the ones pinned and dedicated to such topics. We don't need the same people repeating the same things over and over in different topics. Use the topics that all ready exist (yes, they do exist) if there's something new to add.