Sign in to follow this  
Gerrgely0

can't update Simcity 4 deluxe edition

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all, i need your help

I always played in day mode, so I haven't noticed that all the custom content I put in the game have no nightlights. When I realized that, I found out that I must update the game, so I downloaded the update, and started the process, but it stopped at 7% and said:

error ept0038: Failure Renaming/Deleting File C:\PROGRA~1\Maxis\SIMCIT~1\Apps\RTA82700

I reinstalled the game, and downloaded the update from an other site, but the same occurred. Meanwhile, the antivirus quarantined the "RTA82700" file. I have no idea what should I do..

(old computer with windows XP)

Where did you get your game? The updates are region based and if you install the wrong one the game wont like it. If you have a physcial CD copy of the game, you should just need to install the update from the region of the store where you got it. If you downloaded your game its an entirely different story.

Anyway assuming you have a disc copy of the game, you can easily get your updates here Make sure to install the nightlight update second and the normal update first, or the game wont like it either.

• Original Poster
  • I bought the game in Europe and I used the europe version of Ep1 update, but the same happened, only the RTAxxxxx (x -> random number) file was different in every case I started the update. I tried out the other territories' EP1, north american EP1 updated the game, but without the SimCity 1.dat and the SimCity 2.dat, it said these are not the right versions of the files (obviously), the others also updates some files, but not all, and only the european had problem with that RTAxxxxx file.

If you did not load the game from the disks, then you probably don't need to update.

If you have the disks, the proper SKU can be found on the disks using windows explorer.

Check your loaded game's .exe, and see what the version number returned is.

• Original Poster
  • it's 1.1.613.0

i found the EP1.dat on the disk, but it's created on the 28th of August 2003, and not November 14, 2003 as the EP1 that can be found on the SC4D

OK, 613 is one of the foreign versions. I am not sure which one. If there is a language folder it may give you the clue you need. Another member may indeed know which that is.

All things being equal this is the way that I would proceed:

1. Save your user space (C:\<my account>\documents\SimCity 4. The whole folder.

2. Uninstall the game completely.

3. Do a Disk Cleanup

4. Do a Disk Defrag

5. Cold boot your machine.

6. Install the game.

7. Install the correct version of EP1.

8. Install the night lights patch.

9. Check to see if your user space still contains your stuff. If so, you don't need your backup, but if not restore your regions and plugins.

10. Play the game.

All of this will take a couple of days due to the disk maintenance stuff. If your time is worth less than the $30 hit to purchase the digital game (all patched, no disks required), go to it. Frankly, I'd repurchase the game.

• Original Poster
  • it works! :D

i did the steps above, but when i wanted to check the size of files, there were no exe files o.O I looked into the patchlog txt and it turned out that it was missing.. so i copied the exe file from the cd1, and started again the update in cold boot mode. It was successful, but when i wanted to play, the bridge backround didn't appear, instead a window saying i have to log in with administrator privileges. I had admin privileges, so i was confused. I tried to run the game with other admin account, it worked, and then it worked with my account, and the nightlights too.

So thank you helping me update the game :D

Sounds like some glitch in your permissions settings. Windows is rather delicate in that regard, and I am not sure it is well documented for a non-computer geek.