Sign in to follow this  
ryamika

Strange City Lag - Only in part of a city...

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

I have a strange lag issue and I'm wondering if others have experienced this or if anyone might have a suggestion on how to fix it.

I'm running SimCity 4 Rush Hour with CAM and NAM

Intel i7 860 2.8GHz

12GB RAM

NVIDIA Geforce GT 220

Windows 7 64-bit

For the most part the game runs fine. No lag issues or anything out of the ordinary. I've been playing SC4 for several years off and on and never had any major problems.

However, in my current region I have 3 cities. I've just laid out the transportation grid (roads, aves, highways, subway and monorail)... nothing else for all 3 cities. All 3 cities have bascially the same setup using the same items; meaning no single city has anything different from the other two.

As I started to zone is when I noticed my problem. In city 1 and city 2, everything is fine. No lag.

However, in city 3, I started to get horrible lag and long freezes in just one area of the city. City 3 is bascially divided into 4 squares. 3 of those sqaures work fine. I can zone, build, etc with no issues. In the 4th square, when I zone res, comm or ind, it just lags and freezes for sometimes minutes at a time. Yet, when I go to any other part of the city, I can zone just fine.

I've tried many of the fixes. Set affinity to 1, adjust video card settings, adjust game graphics settings, use software mode, etc... but I don't know if my issue is related to any of that seeing as everything works except in that one area.

After a few tests, it seems that the lag occurs when I place any civic, education or health building and then place zones. I have user created police, school, fire, hospital, etc... but the problem occurs with both the default Maxis ones as well as the user created ones. If I place a landmark or user created ploppable building it's fine.

Again, this only happens in one particular area of the city. Other areas within the same city or completely different cities are fine with no lag.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

• Original Poster
  • After a few more tests, I've narrowed things down a bit. It seems when I place a civic, education or health building near a road/avenue, the lag issue occures. However, if I bulldoze that same area and then place one of those buildings in an open area, it's fine.

I'm really at a loss here as again, it only happens in one particular area of the city.

Do you have a slope mod? How is the terrain in that section of the city?

Try turning on the "drawpaths" option and then try your zoning and plopping. See what the pathfinder is up to.

[drawpaths is available if you have the extra cheats dll module.]

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the reply A Nonny Moose. I am using a slope mod and there is infact a slope in the problem area. The funny thing is I have the same slope type in the other 2 cities but the lag issue isn't present. After more testing, I actually I was able to isolate the problem... it was my Avenue neighbor connections. Once I removed them from that area, the lag was gone. It's funny because I still have Ave connections in other areas of the city... it's just that one particular area that has problems.

I tried the DrawPaths cheat to see if anything was awry, but the paths all look normal. After many hours of trying to figure it out, I'm just glad the lag is gone. At some point though I'd like to figure out the reason, but for now I'm content just to able to work on my city. Thanks for the help :)

I have, at times, experienced the same. By any chance have you noticed long stretches of avenue medians changing (or do you have them)? Avenues will change along their entire route unlike roads and such. The effect will even be passed through any roundabouts you might use. This has caused me long lags due to the time it takes for the median props to change as a result of upgrading or downgrading when plopping things next to them. If this is the case, you might break up those stretches with small sections of one-way roads in place of avenue sections. Just a thought....

• Original Poster
  • I was using the PEG UTOPIAN medians and have that switching issue. I thought that may be contributing to the problem so I removed it, but my problem was still there. My longest stretch of continuous Aves span about 20 tiles... not sure if that is considering long or not. What solved my issue was just removing the Ave neighbor connections in that particular segement of the city. It is weird though as my subway and monorail connections in that area are still there with no issue.

Just to keep us happy, do a save and try sticking a couple of OWR segments in the middle of the long stretch (they don't have to be very much) and putting your neighbour connections back. If it fails again, just exit without a save and you'll be back to where you were.

• Original Poster
  • Wow, okay so I placed about 10 or so OWRs in various positions along the longer streches of Avenues in the problem area. I re-established the Ave neighbor connections and.... no lag!

Thanks CaptCity and Nonny! Problem identified and solved!

• Original Poster
  • Great. All part of the service, you know.

It, as well as everything about Simtropolis is very much appreciated. This is really a fantastic resource for any SC4 player. Thanks!