Sign in to follow this  
lhrob

My sims must really love me, because they're making me rich! Check this out....

19 posts in this topic Last Reply

Okay, what am I doing wrong? Or depending on how you see things, what am I doing right? :O

Look at these screenshots of my city budget. I was wondering why I kept getting massive amounts of cash in my treasury. My balance keeps going up and up. What would be causing this?....

WTH2.jpg

WTH1.jpg

You have a mod or a custom Lot that gives you a lot revenu each month, something you probably downloaded lately, if this happened only lately. Btw, you must also have hundreds of parks if they cost you that much....totally unreal.

mrb

EDIT: show us the income (from taxes and others) window please.

• Original Poster
  • But I don't have hundreds of parks. I've counted about 10 parks, and a lot of custom trees I've plopped (too many to count individually). Would all those custom trees create the extra cash? I'm not using any money plops, and only used one cheat at the start of my city to give myself some money to play with. This has been happening for a while now, and I really didn't give it a second thought because...well, frankly, I'm enjoying the extra cash with which to be creative since I'm not playing this particular city "by the rules". It's just my eye-candy city. But in the interest of helping another Simtrop member with his education question, I thought I'd check out the types of ordinances available and that's when I noticed these huge numbers in the junior sports ordinance and parks budget.

Is it possible my tax rates are too low and it's messing up the game in some way? I shouldn't have such enormous amounts of cash coming in each month. Here's my tax income window:

Income.jpg

In the second picture of your first post, you can see that the "Junior Sports Programs" ordinance is costing you 85 million a month. But it appears that you are actually gaining the money instead. I believe there is a specific radical ordinance mod that affects J.S.P., but I don't remember which one. Check your plugins folder.

• Original Poster
  • Okay, I'll go through my plugins to see what kind of mods I have installed. But it's more than just the JSP. It's also the P&R. I've seen several money trees/parks and other types of money lots in the STEX, but I know for a fact I haven't downloaded any of those, because I didn't want those specific types of cheats. So if this a weird side-effect of a mod, I guess I'll have to uninstall it.

Just as a note, once the game tries to run your budget over something like either 10 billion, 100 billion, or 1 trillion (cannot recall off top of head) the game will instead record your budget amount as a negative and you will lose the game. So I would find out what's causing it before you play your city much more.

• Original Poster
  • I'm already over $1 trillion, and it keeps going up at a rate of $17 billion a month. (Wow, to have this kind of problem in real life, huh? :rofl: )

So what do I do before I get locked out of my city and can't do anything except delete it and start all over...?? I mean, do I rip all the files out of my plugins and slowly introduce them back in until I find the problem? What about all the custom content I've already placed? Do I have to bulldoze everything in my city first? I'd may as well cause an earthquake, followed by a tornado, a flood, and then finish it off with some volcanoes - because that's how it will feel if I lose all the work I've put into this city.

So what do I do before I get locked out of my city and can't do anything except delete it and start all over...??

There's a way of finding out what plugin it is: Take out half of your plugins at a time, and whichever half of the plugins you think has the culprit file, take out half of that, and so on. (Courtesy of our resident Moose.)

There's another way of combatting a negative expense that extreme: Use the Moolah [x] cheat (I think that's what it's called, and for [x], that's the number you put in) from the Extra Cheats DLL to set your cash to be a number far less than a trillion (maybe just 1).

I cannot believe that there's a bug in that, never heard of this as a bug before and I was here before the game actually came out. So, there's definitively a mod or a lot that is producing this amount of income.

Don't delete your city, this surely can be solved.

First let me ask you if this is happening ONLY in one specific city or is it regionwide? If so or any, make a copy of your region or city, just in case. It is always wise to do so before playing around with things and then prevent you from saying.....Darn, I should have......

An easier way than to go through the Plugins (unless you only have a few files in there), is to query all the parks, then the utilities and LM's you can find in the city and maybe it'll come up. Then bulldoze it, save the city and find the specific lot in your plugins to delete. It does not necessarily have to be a mod, it also can be a simple lot. I have seen this before.

If this doesn't bring any success, then I suggest to follow the advice that Ganaram gave you. Create a folder on your desk and put half of the plugins in it, then return to the game/city and see if it is working alright now, if not, change the halves of the Plugins files and try it again. Once found the half that is doing the problems, do the same, cut this half in half and try them out.....Keep on cutting the plugins in half until you pinpointed the guilty mod/lot. Here also I recomment to make a copy, you never know. A file (s) is very quickly deleted or damaged without wanting to.

It is a long processus, I know, but it will work and surely worthwhile if you want to hang on to your region/city. Next time try out the newly downloaded lots and mods in a sandbox region before playing them in your regions. ;)

Hope you'll find it. :}

mrb

• Original Poster
  • Okay, thanks for the advice. I guess I have some investigating to do. I don't know if it's happening in the other cities of my regions, because I've been so preoccupied working on this one for a while. It's actually a city I started a long time ago, and just recently loaded it up again. I didn't like the way I left it previously, so I've been overhauling the neighborhoods and transportation grid and got caught up in it. I'll load the other ones and check to see if it happens in them, then go from there. The *half-then-half* process of elimination is a really good idea. Kudos to the Moose. :thumb:

As for testing things in a sandbox first....point noted. Good idea. ;)

Thanks, guys.

Good luck on this. I would first take out any radical ordinance mods, then any demand mods. You might be able to do this one at a time until you locate the offender. Also if you have any lots like the money tree, get rid of them.

When whatever counter is being hit overflows you will lose the game.

• Original Poster
  • I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!!! :party::D

The only mods I've installed are the standard ones such as NAM, RHW, and such - as well as the mod so that I could fix the R$$$ no-jobs/I-HT bug. Unless I think it will help the appearance of something in my city, I don't usually like to download a lot of other mods such as those pertaining to demand and money, etc. Anyway, before I started radical surgery, I decided to conduct a test. Like Ganaram suggested, I tried the Moolah cheat, and entered a smaller number. Then I unpaused the game and watched as the treasury went shooting sky high, and was very quickly back up to $189 billion. The only two things I could think of that would be causing it were the JSP ordinance and Parks & Recreation funding. So I unchecked the JSP, and moved the P&R slider all the way to the left to zero out my funding. Then I accepted it to confirm my decision, and immediately moved the slider back to full funding. Suddenly the huge $17 billion funding surplus (seen in the first screenshot of my initial post above) disappeared and it was back to normal funding:

Fixed.jpg

Apparently there must have been some sort of glitch in the slider.

I entered the Moolah cheat code again, and entered a reasonable number. Then I unpaused the game, and instead of gaining huge sums of money each month, it finally started accurately reflecting my budget.

So my city is saved! YAY! But just for safekeeping, I'm making strict backups of my Plugins and Regions folders from now on.

Hm.......twice......I am speechless. Never seen this before. :O

I still think though that you have a "bad" lot in your plugins causing this. o.O

Glad though that you found the problem...Happy building.

mrb

• Original Poster
  • Hm.......twice......I am speechless. Never seen this before. :O

I still think though that you have a "bad" lot in your plugins causing this. o.O

Glad though that you found the problem...Happy building.

mrb

Anything's possible. It could very well be a bad lot. I'm definitely going to keep my eye on things to see if it starts happening again - and if so, I'll make a mental note of what I did when it started happening, and work on isolating it.

I hope that really solved it... Like Mr. B I'm still weary and would monitor this closely...

On another note - apparently you also pay out 175.000 a month on utilities...that's some expensive power or water or landfills there... =:-)

• Original Poster
  • I hope that really solved it... Like Mr. B I'm still weary and would monitor this closely...

On another note - apparently you also pay out 175.000 a month on utilities...that's some expensive power or water or landfills there... =:-)

Yeah, I noticed that too. I think I have more power plants and water plants than I need right now. I'll have to delete some. When I first started this city a long time ago, I didn't know as much about the game as I do now (which I'm still not sure about, but I'm getting there) - so I went overboard and plopped a bunch, thinking "more is better than not enough". It's no wonder my neighbors are approaching me to make deals for some of that power, huh?