Sign in to follow this  
Bdub01

Town and Gown

17 posts in this topic Last Reply

Okay in my cities I can always max out my elementary and high schools (both big and small). In one area I have a small and large elementary side by side and both are over filled. However, after high school my sims decide to get lazy and don't want to further their education :) . Even though the city colleges can hold 7000 sims and the university over 10000 barely more than a few hundred go to the next level.

The libraries and museums are used pretty good but I apperantly have some lazy sims. Can I make them go to school somehow? BTW: I play the plain Jane rush hour editions, no cheats, no mods, no Nams! The closest I get to anything like a cheat is playing on easy!!!

Just like in real life, not everybody will go to college. As you population grows, so will enrollment. I could be wrong, but as the population of your R$$ and R$$$ increases, so to will the usage of colleges and the university.

Yeah I think it's a shame, it's so easy to accommodate all of the college and university students that anything you do beyond plopping one college and one university isn't really needed. Any university campuses would be completely contrived. :(

But as far as the game mechanics go, if the radius of your building covers all the sims and you have enough capacity, then you've maximized the educational benefit for that building's age group.

Libraries, Universities, Museums, and Colleges all are used by the same age group. College age sims are still getting an education, they are just not all going to college.

But unlike real life, from what i understand everyone who does go to college passes and graduates. There are no college dropouts in SimCity, because dropouts never go to college to begin with.

I don't think proximity will make any difference. Mind you, some range (circle) overlap is needed, but if your education coverage is sufficient, then eventually you will get your education levels up. Remember that this is not an instant process. It take the same number of Sim-years to get a baccalaureate as it does in the real world. Canonical age for it is around 22.

I echo SimCoug and Nonny. In real life, not everyone is going to attend college, but all people must go to elementary and high school. I would imagine as more wealthy sims move into your city, your college attendance will go up. But in the meantime, have you checked your city ordinances to see if you have any programs aimed at improving their education...such as junior sports, etc?

• Original Poster
  • Thx for all the input guys. I do have the proreading ordanance (I need to go go college myself lol). I can add the junior sports as well. Better than my plan to take away their little sim x-boxes and play stations. I forgot as little kid sims they have to go to school. The college enrollment is growing its just slow! I want wave after wave of educated sims to work high tech jobs and offices now now now!!!!!! I guess I need some ignorant sims as well to work the farms, dirty industry, and the sim version of Micky D's :O !

Oh now, come on...farmers aren't ignorant. They know more about growing food than I do. And someone has to work the assembly lines to make our CEOs rich. I work in office management, but I don't know the slightest thing about how to operate machines in a factory. ;)

It all takes patience to allow your city to grow. I want to be a billionaire now now now!! But it's not going to happen. This is a strategy game...or, for some people like me, it's a creative outlet. But the point is, New York wasn't built overnight...er, something like that. :uhm:

• Original Poster
  • Sorry. Didn't mean to offend any farm workers or fast food workers!!! I'm a lowly little nurse myself. Not very high on the totem pole. I just meant according to the games own guild usually R$$$ won't work farms or dirty industry. That is all.

Oh the person who gave two thumbs up on the name of the topic, thx. I had a history professor who talked about town and gown a lot so I figured that would be an appropriate name for the topic!!!

You didn't offend anyone. Note the ;) ....wink wink....in my response. That means I'm being sarcastic. Or I think you're cute. :P But since I can't see you, it really can't mean I think you're cute. So I digress. I mean, you MIGHT be cute, but how would I know. Right? :] Anyway...I just meant it takes all kinds of people to run a city (as Nonny would tell you), and it also takes time for the game to run its course before certain things start happening. It'll get there for ya'.

EDIT: Punkshashun an spelin' misteak. I'll lern howda right an speke englich won ov theez dayz.

EDIT 2: Oh give it up, L. You can't type. Just face it.

"Vell, zom of uss haz to push der vind t'rou das trombone, und nicht conduct der orchestra, ja?" - Anonymous.

Life has all kinds of people. I know a farmer near Barrie, Ontario who has a masters in agronomy. Not only does he run a respectable and profitable farm, but he also designed the kennel for this brother who runs one of the best boarding kennels I have ever used. Clean and odourless, this is very unusual for a dog kennel which normally smell of, well, wet dogs. This one always has fresh air. There is nothing especially remarkable about this except the owner of the kennel has been president of the Little People of America organization for a few terms. [That's right, folks, he and his wife are both dwarves, as is one of their kids.]

Thx for all the input guys. I do have the proreading ordanance (I need to go go college myself lol). I can add the junior sports as well. Better than my plan to take away their little sim x-boxes and play stations. I forgot as little kid sims they have to go to school. The college enrollment is growing its just slow! I want wave after wave of educated sims to work high tech jobs and offices now now now!!!!!! I guess I need some ignorant sims as well to work the farms, dirty industry, and the sim version of Micky D's :O !

You can't build an entire city's economy on only high tech jobs and offices, at least not straight out of the gate. Even in cities where a university education is virtually universal, you still see mountains of demand for lower level commercial enterprises. On the business side of things, there simply aren't enough high-paying positions for everyone in your city to be wealthy. A high end city will have the majority of Sims working $$ jobs in HT industry and a range of commercial services, with small populations of $ and $$$ Sims to round out the extreme ends of the socioeconomic scale.

Also keep in mind, the simulator calculates the attendence of your schools by the average age of your sims. When you have a young population, usually early in the city's history or after zoning a large amount of new residential, your elementary and high schools will have higher attendance. As the population ages, you will have less attendance in the primary schools and higher attendance in the colleges and universities. So basically if you want higher attendance in you higher education institutes, keep you sims healthy and let them get old.

I find in my more stable, mature cities my elementary schools have almost no students and my colleges or University have a much higher attendance.

• Original Poster
  • Now that my region is getting older the population of the colleges is increasing slowly but steadily. As an added bonus the demand for high tech industry is rising as well as higher wealth residence and commercial.

It takes several Sim years for your education system to become established with students at all levels; that's why it's advisable to build a school as soon as the city is founded. I find it best to provide as much of a comprehensive system as possible, even though SC4's weird age distribution means that elementary schools in old parts of town end up empty because the old people never leave their homes. The important things for sustaining your city's education over the long term are the libraries, museums, colleges, and the university. These institutions affect all age groups, so they help to sustain a high EQ over a long period of time, which changes the makeup of your city's economy. Low EQ= Farms, I-D, low wealth services. Med EQ = I-M, Services and some Offices. High EQ = I-HT, high end Services, mega Offices. It is possible for a city to grow large on dirty industry and transition to high tech during the game.

I replace low attendance elementary schools with museums and libraries. If you look at the population by age display, the bluer it gets the more libraries and museums you need.