Sign in to follow this  
lhrob

How to get rid of the sidewalks?

18 posts in this topic Last Reply

Okay, overlook the odd location for a roundabout at the moment, and please tell me how to get rid of these confounded sidewalks that show up intermittently along my avenues and next to the roundabouts. Is there a mod I can install to get rid of them?

Sidewalks.jpg

There is a mod that does the exact opposite--it makes it so that there are always sidewalks (the No Grass Mod). But I'm pretty sure there isn't a 'no sidewalk' mod. The problem is that if you take away all the sidewalks, you'll have grass alongside the roads in your downtown areas, which would look out of place. Unfortunately I don't think there's a compromise for avenues. Roads and streets automatically discontinue sidewalks where there's no zones touching them. Since avenues were designed for urban use, they automatically take on a uniform appearance based on what zones they're touching.. I believe this is hard coded into the game and can't be changed.

There is no mod I know of, because it's in the avenues nature to be affected like that by development on them, but I found a work-around.

You can build your avenue and at a certain point you destroy a section of it. Then you replace that section with One Way Roads, that way the sidewalks will be halted in that place. It will be very tricky if you try it on diagonal avenues though, and I have only done that on straight ones because of the complications.

• Original Poster
  • Is there any way to at least get rid of the sawtooth effect on the diagonal sections? I thought I saw a mod that eliminated that, but I can't remember what it was called.

The issue above is the reason I've been rooting for a Road-based AVE-4 network, similar to the TLA-5 network, to be added into the NWM, and when you think about how zoning works for most networks (and even capacities), then it would make sense.

A non-puzzle piece network tile adjacent to a lot will become "wealthified", so to say, within a 1-tile radius from the lot. For example, if you place a 1x1 park next to a Road, then the three tiles surrounding it get wealthified. This also goes diagonally.

The default AVE works strangely in that instead of wealthifying with a radius, the entire stretch becomes wealthified. This also causes other undesirable effects, such as dirt sidewalks in your downtown area caused by having farmland zoned near your AVEs.

For that same reason, if you have a lot if high-density zoning (and for the record, medium and high-density are identical in this regard), you'll get too many sidewalks.

The only way to currently break it has been described above: Replace certain pieces of AVE using dual OWRs.

Is there a mod I can install to get rid of them?

No, but to answer your question, you CAN get rid of them. Find the texture IDs for the three wealth levels of sidewalks and also do the same for the dirt sidewalks for agricultural zoning. Replace those with blank FSHs, and you should have no more sidewalks... Everywhere. There exists a Rail Dirt mod that does the same exact thing, but in doing so, it also removes the agricultural dirt sidewalks, simply because they're shared.

In fact, ALL networks that have wealthification (and by wealthification, I really mean the sidewalks) share the same sidewalk texture. It's a textural underlay that the game slips underneath a tile that's wealthified.

Actually, it's because they're two tiles wide.

That's just as helpful as saying that something is on fire because it's red. (In other words, you're way off. Given that reasoning, MHWs and EMHWs should also have wealthification, but that's also explainable: There is no defined wealthification for the MHWs.)

是不是地面并不是很平而造成的? :uhm: :uhm: :uhm:

Hello, sir, not everyone here have the capability to speak in Chinese, so, please use english another time.

If you can't speak in english, then any translator like Google translator and Bing translator can be used.

• Original Poster
  • Ugh. I really wanted to create a boulevard that follows a rocky shore line from the coastal area all the way into my downtown area - kinda like the PCH around Malibu - but I don't want sidewalks along part of it. I guess I'll try the filler pieces Indiana Joe referenced in his post above. At least it will eliminate the sawtooth effect. I must have been dreaming before when I saw a mod that got rid of that jagged edge look, but I looked again last night and couldn't find one. Anyway, I'll find a creative way to work with it.

Thanks, guys.

P.S. xiaoqiaoguohe - Yes, please use a translator if you're going to post on here. I managed to enter your reply into Google translate, and you asked about the ground being flat in that area. Yes, the avenue itself is on flat land, but the surrounding cliffs are part of the coastal area I'm working on at this moment, and I haven't done anything with them yet. I'm just trying to get the avenue to pass through right now.

Ugh. I really wanted to create a boulevard that follows a rocky shore line from the coastal area all the way into my downtown area - kinda like the PCH around Malibu - but I don't want sidewalks along part of it. I guess I'll try the filler pieces Indiana Joe referenced in his post above. At least it will eliminate the sawtooth effect. I must have been dreaming before when I saw a mod that got rid of that jagged edge look, but I looked again last night and couldn't find one. Anyway, I'll find a creative way to work with it.

Thanks, guys.

P.S. xiaoqiaoguohe - Yes, please use a translator if you're going to post on here. I managed to enter your reply into Google translate, and you asked about the ground being flat in that area. Yes, the avenue itself is on flat land, but the surrounding cliffs are part of the coastal area I'm working on at this moment, and I haven't done anything with them yet. I'm just trying to get the avenue to pass through right now.

He uses a thump buildings fill the corner of the street roundabout, I suggest you look at this post, you can also do a solve this problem

Actually, there's a nice trick: Use the farming area (I-§ or what...) and push Ctrl while building the area over the avenue. These farm area will remove any sidewalk... Try this, but the yellow colours MUSTN'T be seen, otherwise it looks... well.. shitty.. :D Hope I could help you, even if this was late.. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Original Poster
  • Actually, there's a nice trick: Use the farming area (I-§ or what...) and push Ctrl while building the area over the avenue. These farm area will remove any sidewalk... Try this, but the yellow colours MUSTN'T be seen, otherwise it looks... well.. shitty.. :D Hope I could help you, even if this was late.. MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Thanks for the tip! I will certainly give it a try, but what happens if you dezone the farming area? Do the sidewalks reappear?

Merry Christmas back at ya'!

I'm very very sorry for this incredibly late reply, probably you found a solution already, but here's a tip: Hold Ctrl while zoning and zone OVER the street. This should remove the walkway, but no other buildings may be plopped there then.

Okay, I tried what you said....and it didn't work. Maybe it only works under certain conditions...?

I didn't like it either, but I think what I didn't like most was the TYPE of sidewalk, so I got mods to change the type of sidewalk, say in my case, it is now red brick or brown.  Now I do not mind at all.  If I was to have an isolated intersection like this, I might throw some commercial or residential, or both around it to compensate or hide it or at lesat make it look like there is a reason for it, maybe some parks or something, or hide it with trees.  Trees are always good! :idea:

• Original Poster
  • This intersection doesn't even exist anymore.  I made my initial post back in November, and have completely tweaked that whole section of the city I was working on.  It's no longer an issue.  But thanks anyway, guys.