Sign in to follow this  
zen574

i can't play the game i paid for? really?

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

a couple of years ago, i played a ummm, uhhh..."borrowed" copy of SC4 for about a month (on a laptop). it was so cool, even without any mods, that i decided to buy the SC box. i installed it on said laptop, and for some reason, couldn't play it. every time i tried i got the "insert SC4 play disc" message, even though i did, in fact have the SC4 play disc. i tried both #1 and #2 with no success. eventually, i just threw it in a drawer and drank enough beer to forget about it entirely.

i recently got a new pc, and thought i'd give this SC4 box another try, ... it still didn't work.

so what the heck do i do? it's a great game, and i'm even thinking about buying the sequel when it's released, but... as of now i bought a couple of absolute garbage games in order to play the one i actually like and it DOES NOT WORK. like i said a couple of times, i love the game (even stand alone), but this is kind of like buying hand sanitizer that lathers you up with a heaping dose of ebola. are there any good DIY fixes i can use that don't involve "borrowing" things or turning my game entirely stupid? (as DIY fixes are wont to do)

any help you forum posters can suggest is appreciated. :)

It is a frustrating happenstance.

Give us some more info about your system, and what is happening when you install / try to run the game. (You do have admin powers?)

I have successfully played SC4 Rush Hour on XP Vista and Win 7 and there are quite a few members running the game on Win 8

Give us some more info and hopefully we can get you up and running,

Are you sure you don't have 2 "Disk 1s" ? That happened to me when I borrowed SimCity 4, before I decided to buy the game. Perhaps we can give you more solutions of you give us some more specific details or solution 2, you could always buy it off Steam.

Sounds like a faulty disk to me. It's unlikely that its a problem with your operating system because your computer recognized the disk during installation. In my experience a "insert SC4 play disc" message means the executable file on the CD is faulty so when your computer goes to look for it at game start up it does not see it.

Kev

Despite all the previous talk, there is a known problem with many copies of the Sim City Box. The SC4 disks are defective. Since you've had it a long time, you probably can't return it for a replacement.

Your best bet is to repurchase (sorry about that) the game from a reliable downloader. I suggest Amazon or GamersGate which will download the digital version of the game. These often have sales, and I have seen SC4 for as little as $5.U.S.

The other sites, Steam and Origin, will also provide the game and some snoopware. They work, but I don't recommend them.

With the download version you get the game updated to 1,1,641 which is complete with all published patches and does not require a 'play disk'.