Sign in to follow this  
FrenchThom

Hi ! An american city view from a french citybuilder

38 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello everyone !

I'm proud to say that I want to start a City Journal about Grandchester , one of my best works ! SimCity is based on the american architectural principles , and as a french teenager ( influenced from his birth by the american soft power ) I think I can offer a new viewpoint on SC 4 cities !

I have a typical way to manage a town , and you will find it soon enough ...

I didn't put this in the CJ zone because it's actually more an idea ( even well developped ) than a ready CJ so my mind is open to any comment , positive and negative , as long as it is constructive !

Schuss !

My first suggestion is hurry up and post some pics. Even a picture of an empty region is better than just text. As for building an American city, but not actually having experienced an American city, it is quite possible. I'm sure many American players build European style cities and I know a few European players who have built AMAZING recreations of American cities and yet have never stepped foot in one. Consult Google maps!

• Original Poster
  • Ok , thanks ! I will try Google Maps but actually , I don't want to recreate a true american city , but an " american-like " city !

Don't worry about the pictures ! I posted the first message and this one from the computer room of my high school , but in the evening ( about 6-8 PM ) when I joined my home I will immediatly post some pics !

Take special note of how a US-American city is builded. Usually it has a central core, downtown, were the skyscrapers are, there are not too many plazas and is sorounded by highways and suburbs, were there are big parks and really big houses. Unlike the european cities, and the cities based in the european schemes, the US-American city frequently has no historical downtown.

Is normal like being european and feel attracted to the cities of this side of the world, asgenerally all the americans feel attracted by the european styles.

I wouldn't say American cities don't have historic downtowns, but just not as HISTORIC as European cities. You are welcome to check out my journal. I build an American style city and I often consult google maps of Chicago and Milwaukee in addition to many other cities. Building an American city isn't too difficult in SC4, considering the game is grid based and most American cities are grid based for the most part.

• Original Poster
  • Hello , I'm Thomas Neto de Gama , the son of the Great Vinean Leader François Neto de Gama ! I am also the spokeperson of his goverment and my mission is to offer to you the best holidays here in Vinéa !

We are in the Gama International Airport and we have a long journey to reach your hotel , please enter in the limousine and keep the window closed !

http://www.noelshack.com/2012-48-1354203312-grandchester-30-juil-1931354202841.png

[Above] What ? Oh you mean this figure ? It's the statue of my father ! You better get used to it because it's everywhere here ! Right now , it's the Adam de Craponne Avenue , the major road of Vynkha ...

http://www.noelshack...81354120377.png

Please accord a glimpse to this building : this is where I'm working with my father ...

http://www.noelshack...71354119908.png

I will make you visit it , but tomorrow ! By now , we must to go to the Royal Courthouse to check your papers and so on ... Bureaucratie , you know ...

http://www.noelshack.com/2012-48-1354203186-grandchester-17-juil-1931354202780.png

We are leaving Downtown Mullighan , so you can open the window again ! What ? ... Yes I know it's polluted ! I'm trying to reduce it but it's a long-term struggle ! One day , it will bring rewards for our today's policy !

You will live in this county , it's the goverment houses area ... Give me your identity card , sir !

To the guard : He's a friend of dad , let us enter !

It's okay , sir ! Get down of the limousine , we have to walk for a while ... In the acts I made , is the interdiction of cars in this area ! Pollution , I mean ...

http://www.noelshack...81354120426.png

Good , you're at home ! Please don't leave it without asking it : security measure ! Good night , Mr Anfield !

• Original Poster
  • Here is all the pictures I promised ! I'm sorry but I have problem with the camera of my game and sometimes it crash for hours ! The next post will be about the poorest suburbs of Vynkha and the university !I think I would give it to you next Monday or next Tuesday , because I'm with my father this weekend ...

It looks like a great city!

I recommend though to take pictures with you 'print screen' button, paste it in some program as paint an then upload it to a hosting site.

After that you can copy the 'direct link' an do the following: a>. Without the last space of course. If so we can see the image immediately on this site.

Keep going :)

• Original Poster
  • Vivapanda : Erm ... Ehm ... To be honest , I didn't really understand what you mean !

I understood the basics , but in fact I tried to put the image right here ! But I failed several times ! :cry:

And I think that I'm going to put these compilation in the screenshots forum , because it's not truly a City Journal ! And after I saw the others , I can't pretend that it's one ... Some people could be disappointed ...

• Original Poster
  • A comment ! Oh , God hear me !

Sorry , just a joke , " je déconne " in french !

Well thank you for pushing my back ! Don't worry about that , I was at my father's house this week-end and my school calendar is awful , but I am working on a new update which would take place in the richest borough of Vynkha and on the other hand , the poorest !

The storyline is simple : an important ambassador is received by the son of the Great Vinean Leader ; they try to keep him in a golden jail , but the ambassador is not idiot ! He knows that there is a black side , a side that the GVL try to hide to the world ! Our man will secretly escape of his house and see this " dark side of the moon " ...

I already made some pictures and Thuesday ( when I got the slightest school day ) I will give you the whole update !

Again , very thank you for your support and keep follow & comment my work !

PS : Even if I am the best student of my class in english , I'm still a french-speaker ! Sorry for the mistakes ...

I don't know about the exact thing that cause you become unable to add any pictures and only able to give a link, but when I try to do that, then the result is the picture below.

1354123631-grandchester-29-sept-1171354119908.png

Though I don't really know about the reason for that thing happened with you and disabling you from instantly post the picture here, but I suggest you to remove the 'http://gophoto.it/view.php=i' and just keep the 'http://noelshack.com/...' another time. If you don't have any idea about where to paste the link, actually the button that must be used is the small button with a tree picture.

Note : I'm not trying to post your city's picture and claim the picture as mine, nor forcing you to re-post the pictures again. I just want to help you so you will not having so many difficulties in adding a picture when you post the next update. I hope this information can be useful for you.

To post the pics, you can take the code for the picture and put a "IMG" inside of [] in front of it and a "/IMG" inside of [] directly behind it. You can do than manually if needed. Here's how it should look when you finish:

*IMG*http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z141/Schulmanator/2012%20Default/rc2.jpg*/IMG*

(replace * with [])

"rc2.jpg"

When you post it, the IMG stuff is gone and the picture appears.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for your help !

As I said , I get a horrible calendar , and I don't think I will be free until Thuesday , but promised : I will try again ! Continue to comment and wait for my future post !

Thanks !

• Original Poster
  • 7 H 30 AM

* Thomas de Gama is knocking on the ambassador's door , no response *

Hey ! Mr Neto ! Wake up ! We have a long journey to make ! Wake up !

Neto : Mmmhh ... I'm coming ...

8 H AM

Have a look on this : it's one of the VCTR , Vinean Center for Technologies and Research , there's a lot of it but this is the third largest ! This is where the rockets of our great nation have been created and studied ! The blue towers arround it are the headquarters of the commercial societies which are interested by the financial potential of research !

http://www.noelshack...21354564468.png

You see this yellow tower ? This is the headquarter of the " Lifestyle " division of KFT , the largest vinean company ever !

http://www.noelshack...21354564485.png

This is one of the proud of our city : the Blue Storm Stadium ! The Blue Storm won the Hyper-Bowl ( the national football cup ) 8 years in a row and will fight against the Divsion Bell this night for the finale ! If you want , you can come with me in the VIP's loges to see it !

http://www.noelshack...21354564610.png

http://www.noelshack...21354564625.png

Here is the Lan-Fang Technological Park , capital of the biotechnologies ! On the right , you can see a tennis court ; it has been built for the pleasure of the white-collar workers who complain about the absence of sports facilities around the Park for the midday break ... And near it , there's a private high-school : in our country the education of our young heads is the priority and the proximity with the enterprises is a certain asset for them !

http://www.noelshack...21354564446.png

I'm sure you can't miss the long blue building ! It's the vinean headquarter of Samsung ! And all arround it , it's the Gang-Zehn Technological Park ! Samsung has a agreement with Vinea since 1998 for the coproduction of their most recent products , and in return they're paying for the education of our young heads ! Simple , not ?

http://www.noelshack...21354564681.png

http://www.noelshack...21354564410.png

Your city looks very nice! You could avoid the building duplication, then your city would look even better. ;)

I agree with vivapanda and Schulmanator because it's better than ever click the links.

But don't give up because your city looks very nice. :)

• Original Poster
  • Well thanks , man ! I don't want to give up ! I can't really build the storyline because of my nightmarish calendar of my high school , but I don't forget it a single second ! And I think I get something for a 3rd update !

Keep follow me and don't hesitate to comment my work : I accept any comment , positive or negative , as long as it's helpful !

• Original Poster
  • Hello everyone !

Good news : I haven't anywork for friday nor the next monday ! And ... My philosophy teacher delete the previous test of Saturday to put it after the Christmas holiday ! So my hands are free for the whole weekend !

Moreover , I had a brillantly lapse of reason , and inspiration came right in my brain for the storyline ! So I have , by now , enough of pictures and stories to make 3 updates at least !

I am in my high school right now , but I will be at home at 13 H 30 , ( 1 H 30 PM ) and I will immediately work on the storyline !

Keep follow me and prepare yourself for a cuteful update !

• Original Poster
  • All this post is view by the ambassador , Mr Neto !

==========

That's enough ... Four days that they keep me as a prisonner in this mansion ! What they're thinking about me ? I'm not stupid ! I know there's something behind ! Tonight I will take a flight to Lhana ! When I asked them what was this city on the map , they told it's just nothing ... Let check it out ...

It's 14 PM , nobody care about me ... I took a ticket at the airport while thinking about the faces of my " matons " ! Goodbye Vhynkha ...

1354807024-grandchester-7-mar-2471354207431.png

Here we are ! Lhana ... Oh gosh ! So much poverty ! I'm not on the land but you already can see it ...

1354806972-lhana-4-jan-1431354218073.png

• Original Poster
  • 1357673519-vynkha-9-nov-8881357142357.png

This is a new district of Vynkhâ : Palanaveyra ! A very wealthy zone ( the incomes of the inhabitants is 200 NFV per hour while in the rest of the

city ( which is already the wealthiest city of Vinéa ) it is only 45 NFV per hour !

The brown tower is the General Headquarters of the Vinéan Jewelry Society , a powerful lobby which group the majors of the jewelry business = For anything that is related to gold , they are listened as God himself !

On the middle of the picture , is the Vinealympics Tennis Court , which host every year the Roland-Tarros , the competition of the best tennis players of the country ! It also has been the scene of a the VTC Disaster ... Fourteen years ago , as the final had started , a massive crowd in the outside try to enter in the arena as although they have tickets they had to wait to enter ; the peoples who were already in have been pushed on the ground 2 meters under them , and the compressive asphyxia caused 114 deaths and 12 persons died by falling from the upper seats ... Immediately , all the arenas , for concerts or sports or whatever were closed for 3 years for renovations to avoid forever a so cruel tragedy ! Moreover , 14 important personnalities of the sports the BTP and in the Police have been condamned by the Justice for their crucial faults which led to this day !

On the right of the VTC , it's the headquarters of the Administration Council of the arena and of the Roland-Tarros organisation staff ...

In the bottom right-hand corner , is the Lycée Jean Moulin , named after a famous french resistant ; this is THE Lycée were everybody want to study = it has the highest rates at the national exam , the Baccalauréat !

1357675706-vynkha-11-oct-8881357142201.png

• Original Poster
  • Welcome to Vinéa !

Short name : Vinéa

Full name : The Independant Federal Republic of Vinéa and Shyra

Political System : Federal Republic ( as Germany )

Languages : French and German officially , respectively 85 % and 15 % , with 11 authorized regional languages as long as it is with french and german

Chief of the goverment : Fransisco de Gama

Currency : Nouveau Franc Vinéen , shortly NFV

HDI : 0,903

Ethnic group :

white 90 %

japanese 7 %

Maghrebins : 2 %

others : less than 1 %

Regulary practised religions :

catholics : 40 %

shintoisme : 8 %

Islam : 2 %

Atheists or agnostics : 50 %

Our Flag :

1358081564-flag.png

National Motto : De plusieurs viendra l'unité ( From many differences will come unity )

Political and economical capital : Vhynkha

2 largest city : Shyra

3 largest city : Khany

The country is divided into 22 regional prefectures , each of them divided in 4 counties

1358087952-fond-de-carte-europe.gif