Sign in to follow this  
bgn

An interesting trend...

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Greetings--

I've had this happen with two large cities now, so I suspect a trend. What happened in one, which had attained a residential population of ca. 200,000, was that I began developing the far eastern portion of the map, which contained a connection via avenue with a city to the east. After a while I got the spreading no-jobs zot, followed by rampant residential abandonment; the sims refused to touch the many commercial zones I placed there. I then went to another city of ca. 90,000 sims. I began developing the far eastern portion of that map, and put in a connection via avenue with a city to the east---and, while those commercial zones at least got developed, I got the spreading no-jobs zot and rampant abandonment there as well. When I applied the RH traffic query, I noticed that: (1) most of the commutes in that area of the city went outward to the other city, rather than to jobs in the one city; (2) many of the developed-looking commercial buildings had no workers at all.

(No screenshots available, alas.)

So, how can these neighborhoods be saved? Does it have to do with the connection to the other city?

bgn

• Original Poster
  • Well, I installed NAM; my commute time promptly mushroomed to four times the previous amount, and a year in I got the no-jobs zot all over the place, worse than ever. Is this temporary? Should I wait it out?

bgn

I guess we need to review what major mods you have besides NAM. Did you install NAM with the default settings? If you did, your traffic situation should have improved.

One thing that could make NAM misbehave is adding it to a city and selecting the park'n'ride option without having the proper set up existing. This option forces all kinds of local transit into use, and it had better exist.

How well did you read that long NAM document?