Sign in to follow this  
Bdub01

Wealthy cities

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi everybody. I'm a first time caller long time listener lol. (Sorry had to do that!). Seriously this is the first time I have posted a topic. I've been playing for a few months now. I have started a new region and for the first time I have manipulated the RCI counter.

So I have one city that's all farms and a small residential area. One city that is all dirty industry no commercial or residents. Ironically that city makes around 5k every month :). So now finally I get to the meat of my question.

I have a city I taxed R$ and C$ 20%. I have all middle and high wealth. I only have HTI in it as well. I named the city, Saint Ritzy lol. The city started slow but is doing good now with a pop of 37k. I'm making around 1k a month and its going good. However I have noted several posts say don't have just high wealth cities so I'm wondering why? Will I have problems in the future? Does this hurt my surrounding cites? If its not good then what is a good rich to poor ratio? Anyway thanks for any insight into this.

If you have low wealth residential in an adjacent city, it should not be too bad though you should have a sizeable middle class. I also suggest you zone some high density commercial areas along your busiest roads.

--Ocram

You can actually consider the cities connected in your region as a single big metropolis. It sounds like you have a fairly good balance. Do you play them round robin so that the in-game dates are about the same in each city? This should bring a good balance, and you'll be able to see where improvements need to be made.

• Original Poster
  • I have about 7 cities in all so far and I play each one for 10-20 mins or when demand falls for say commercial in one city I go to another and add residential then go back to the 1st city or if I notice too many 'no job' zots I will go to my industrial city and there is usually a demand for industry. Then I zone industry and the zots in the other city goes away till next time. So far it seems to be working. This is the first time I have had my cities rely on each other so much rather than having a bunch on independent cities in the same region.

I feel like people say "don't have only high wealth" because they demand far more services than low and middle wealth households which can be a drain on your city's finances. If you have a balanced city with low through high wealth, you can see that most of your tax revenue comes from the lower wealth households because there are simply more of them even though the higher wealth households provide more wealth per house on average. For cities just starting out or developing, adding so many services and parks and whatnot without the broad tax base to sustain it often leads to financial ruin for a city. You, however, have achieved a surplus while only having high wealth households, so the high expense of having so many services isn't draining you. Therefore, you do not have a problem!

• Original Poster
  • Well my experiment in high wealth cities crashed and burned. I swear the sim stock market crashed! I suddenly had no job zots literally everywhere. All the fancy apts turned brown and I lost several thousand sims. Then of course the commercial area wasn't in demand anymore and all the pretty down town buildings were abandoned.

The area is slowly returning to normal but it's taken a few sim decades and a total revamp of my strategy to turn things around. So ya learn something everyday. Luckily since I'm mayor for life I can't be booted out of office!!!

Yeah, that tends to happen. High wealth sims demand a niche set of jobs that are very difficult to create. Their dwellings tend to be developed in a speculative fashion; the demand will be there, and housing will be built and sold whether there is employment available or not. Once the rich Sims realize they've been duped into moving to a place with no jobs, they leave in a hurry and the building gets subdivided for poorer residents. Generally you want to tax them at a higher rate to keep the speculative demand under control. It also helps if you put their neighborhoods near downtown to shorten their commutes, because they love their cars and will not use your public transportation to go to work.

And the whole thing is cyclic. Once your city gets to a certain age, around 75 Sim-years, your older Sims start dying and if you don't arrange to replace them on a steady basis with young Sims, the city goes into a depression.

Nonny I have never observed such a thing in ten years of playing SimCity 4 (though, I tend to abandon cities after they get to be about 150 years old, so you may have seen something that I haven't). As far as I can tell, the old Sims are automatically replaced by younger Sims when they die off; I've seen neighborhoods go from deep blue to light green around the century mark, when the oldest neighborhoods finally have their original inhabitants dying off.

I have seen the cyclical thing also. All my cities in my region are around 450-500 sim years old. I have seen at least 2 to 3 times where no matter what, my wealthy sims can't find jobs, abandon their homes and move out. About the only thing I seem to be able to do is bulldoze the abandoned buildings and wait.

There is no impact what so ever you have high density population or wealthier cities. My Region have 96 Million population and yet my all cities are going well and my expanditure is 45% of my income....

Meh, I dont like high wealth that much since their buildings take up a lot of space while having only a few people actually living in the building. Also, I dont like the look of most of those mansions.

It gets better once they start building medium and high density zoned buildings, but it takes time for those things to develop, or to reach the stage where they do.

Well, I've actually had the population by age graph skew well to the right with high bars beyond the retirement age indicating a dying elder population. It doesn't happen often. Usually when there is insufficient low wealth accommodation and employment. If a city gets unbalanced, this happens.

About the cyclical thing--wouldn't that depend on whether you keep adding to the city or not? I've never really encountered it, but I suspect that that's because I keep adding to my cities over time rather than develop the whole tile at once; if the oldest inhabitants are dying off in one neighborhood, it's balanced I suppose by the younger folks in the younger neighborhoods.