Sign in to follow this  
cogeo

Looking for a R$$$ hirise

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi NYBT Team,

I would like to ask a question: is there a NY-style hirise R$$$ builidng growing in a 3x3 lot. I'm growing a NY-style city with some areas where 3x3 R$$$ hirises would look nice. An ideal building would be some 145-165m tall, on par with the ingame "Quigley Place". Quigley is 156m tall but grows on 4x3 lots. There are no ingame 3x3 R$$$ hirises, the only 3x3 R$$$ are stage-6 condos (The Braccia Building), 63m tall. Any alternative maybe? I think a 2x3 or 3x2 hirise would still be acceptable, if it's about 24x28m large, or somewhat larger (I will need to relot it, of course).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hey, I am happy to hear that you are making a New York style city, In NYBT there are no R$$$ 3x3 hirise buildings and lots at that size right now. I have planed to do a 3x3, 4x2, 4x3, and some 1x2 hirise residential buildings for NYBT, I have also thought those where missing too. :D

What type of architecture style you looking for?

A classical style around 1890 to 1930s? :D

A Post Modern/ Art Deco Apartments around 1930s to 1970s?:D

• Original Poster
  • Hey Aaaron,

I have planed to do... residential buildings for NYBT...

This is awesome! More buildings, to expand the set!

I have planed to do a 3x3, 4x2, 4x3, and some 1x2 hirise residential buildings for NYBT, I have also thought those where missing too.

The game actually already has a 4x3 (Quigley Place - 2083 res, 156m) and a 4x2 (Bell Tower - 1624res, 191m) R$$$ hirise (Bell can grow on 4x3 lots as well, but these lots are stage-7 and can be upgraded to the stage-8 Quigley). So the missing bit is really the 3x3 one. Anything smaller in Simicty 4 is called "Condos" at most (3x3, 2x3, 3x2 medium-density and 2x2 high-density). As for 1x2... well, I think it's really impossible to make a 1x2 hirise and avoid a pencil-like look. The only 1x2 "tall" building in Simcity 4 is "The Freytag Building", a Chicago-style CO$$$; it's 50m tall yet it already features that pencil-like look. You can view the above said lots and buildings using iLive's Navigator tool.

What type of architecture style you looking for?

A classical style around 1890 to 1930s?

A Post Modern/ Art Deco Apartments around 1930s to 1970s?

I have no clue, neither a preference about the architecture. Plus I hate telling the others what they "should" make. I just wish to be possible to grow them next to Quigley and blend in well. Quigley is 156m tall and its base is 60x44m, ie it fills its lot almost completely but it's not W2W - I haven't grown two Quigleys one next to the other, but I do believe that it would look really cramped. So I think that the correct size for a 3x3 one would be something like 40x44, ie same depth as Quigley, but leaving some gap between the buildings. I don't think that a very dense arrangement looks realistic (actually I don't like R$$$ people living in hirises anyway, but that's how SC4 is made) so we could at least don't make custom content looking like that. The 2x3 condos cover their lots almost entirely as well, and I don't think that they look very nice, if grown one next to another. Lots should be setup so that the buildings line-up with Quigley. Now if you want to make some 4x3 and 4x2 ones as well, the architecture should rather be of the other style (Quigley and Bell are art-deco, I guess - the SC4 tileset is named "New York 1940").

Hope I gave you some ideas.

You have lovely bats, I remember looking in that thread months ago.

When I make a 3x3 building it will be a w2w building because it will be a re-creation.

The only 1x2 "tall" building in Simcity 4 is "The Freytag Building", a Chicago-style CO$$$; it's 50m tall yet it already features that pencil-like look.

Here's is a render of a new building I will be making in the future, it's 1x2, I do not think it looks like a pencil, the name of the building is 30 E. 81 Street.

nybt30e81streetpic01.jpg

Here's the link to the buildings image and floor layout. :D

http://nyre.cul.columbia.edu/projects/view/16757