Sign in to follow this  
Avakael

Downloading custom maps.

3 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've been messing around for the last 3-4 hours trying to find a way that I can just download a map and import it to Simcity 4 Deluxe on Windows 7 64x. Thus far, I've been redirected to SC4 Mapper, SC4 Terraformer, a "LEX" thingy on another site that asks you to register and then still won't let you download anything anyway, Python, a need for Windows XP compatibility mode (didn't work) and about 3 or 4 different necessary image files to make any map work, not to mention extra dll files that don't work either. At this point, I'm giving up and just asking here.

Is there someone that's just drawing decent quality maps, putting them into working files that I can unzip and add straight into the appropriate location and play, as per the instructions say I should theoretically be able to do (and yet can't without half a dozen trips to Google)? Is there someone converting all these brilliant maps by user like drunkapple and Izidor44 into files that can actually be used without broken third party tools? Because I'm utterly, utterly lost, and just want to be able to play the game on anything other than "Timbuktu" or "Fairview". Thank you.

Unfortunately for you, the only way to use maps is to import them with one of those methods. The only alternative is to look for older maps that need to be manually installed (the ones that only come with a greyscale .jpeg and a BMP file, and you follow the instructions ).

Other than that, you'll have to get one of these methods to work. First of all, I have no idea why the LEX at SC4Devotion isn't working for you. Except for maybe one thing. You go to here and click 'register'; then you register, you copy and paste the link in the activation email in your browser's address bar (when it emailed me, there was a problem with clicking on it because only part of the URL was hyperlinked), and then you log in.

As for Terraformer and Mapper, go through some of the tutorials on the Omnibus. If you're still having trouble, I'd advise you pick one to focus on and make a new thread asking about specific problems you're having.