Sign in to follow this  
Mr Saturn64

First Person Shooters

31 posts in this topic Last Reply

NOT TROLLING FLAMING ETC.

Why does it seem like FPS games are the only thing people play anymore? I've played my fair share of them, and I don't see as much appeal. Going around the Internet, I see all kinds of people saying stuff like "real gamers only play COD" and stuff like that. What's with all the appeal compared to other kinds

Please be respectful of my opinion before commenting!

PS I have played some good shotters, but for others, not so much appeal.

• Original Poster
  • Most people don't want to try something that isn't a ridiculously easy mow-them-down shooter.

Agreed

I play FPS games, but only the ones which are heavily based on realistic tactics, teamwork and skill.

I see your reasoning, except my teammates kill me alot

I see your reasoning but I would still prefer a good Zelda game. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Ocarina of Time

My shooter obsessed brother told me that COD fans hate Battlefield because Battlefield's "too realistic". Further showing Bipin's point.

Most people don't want to try something that isn't a ridiculously easy mow-them-down shooter.

Agreed

I play FPS games, but only the ones which are heavily based on realistic tactics, teamwork and skill.

I see your reasoning, except my teammates kill me alot

I see your reasoning but I would still prefer a good Zelda game. If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Ocarina of Time

My shooter obsessed brother told me that COD fans hate Battlefield because Battlefield's "too realistic". Further showing Bipin's point.

I bet they'd really hate ARMA... ;)

If I might consider myself being a "fan" of any of the big shooters, it's Modern Warfare.

I don't like BF because they place quantity and visuals over actual quality. BF3 was a sh...storm of bugs when it was released.

but at least it looks great.

I like ARMA aswell because it's more tactical and back in the days, I was a die-hard America's Army player which was also very realistic in terms of tactics and - most important - teamplay, and I was especially hooked to a map called Mountain Ambush... hooked enough to become a member of the world's best clan on this map even well below official membership requirements... go figure...

but I wouldn't actually call people stupid to play shooters.

of course it's so much easier to sit down and start blasting off them guns till rgb is all 255,0,0 instead of sitting down and accepting a learning curve to balance your city or business, but I blame it on a lack of time to totally immerse in such games AND a demand for fastpaced, arcade-like entertainment.

the time needed to develop a thriving enterprise or a photorealistic city is just so high that many people lose interest really fast, either because it simply takes too much time to create it or it takes too much time to success at it.

thats why action and sports games have long outpaced business games.

I don't know how many of you are old enough to "remember the days", I'm a mid-80s child and still know how the games aisles were dominated by all kind of business simulations from farming over car manufacturers and hotels to oil companies and many games along the lines of sim city, be it earth or spacebound...

today it's EA Sports annual fix of NHL NFL NBA FIFA and whatnot, next to annual fixes of MoH, BF, CoD, a handful of shooters actually worth spending a dime on (eg ARMA), a hell of a lot of racing, some good 3rd person action and rpg and then shipload of low quality dump that rides on the success-of-shooters-wave

good enough to see that the all time greatest video games list, no matter if single-title or franchise, consists of almost only "normal" games (mario, sims, pokemon) with the exception of call of duty and grand theft auto...

faith in humanity restored I might think

I see all kinds of people saying stuff like "real gamers only play COD" and stuff like that.

Last proper FPS I played would probably be... Wow, I really have to think about this... Black Mesa and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault before that. I have so many other genres to be playing that reward me so much more than what a run of the mill FPS, which costs $20 more than everything else I might add, can.

• Original Poster
  • I see all kinds of people saying stuff like "real gamers only play COD" and stuff like that.

Last proper FPS I played would probably be... Wow, I really have to think about this... Black Mesa and Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault before that. I have so many other genres to be playing that reward me so much more than what a run of the mill FPS, which costs $20 more than everything else I might add, can.

I agree with that and I hate it when people hate on the Wii because of that.

• Original Poster
  • I agree with that and I hate sonole wars. I still like that N64 with good old Super Mario 64 and even better Ocarina of Time. :ducky:

*OCARINA OF TIME SPOLERS* I love it in Ocarina of Time when you hit Ganon in the face with light arrows, hit him in the rear with a sledgehammer, stab him in the face multiple times and then trap him in the Dark Realm. Sweet, sweet, revenge. :D:read::}

Eh? I always assumed the average 14 year old plays on the Xbox or PS3.

But honestly? The Wii? It has almost nothing on it but Wii sport clones and other stuff that grandma might like. Interesting statistic I heard last week. The majority of Wii consoles only have Wii Sports on it and nothing else. I think that tells you enough about the target demographic Nintendo aimed at with the Wii.

• Original Poster
  • Eh? I always assumed the average 14 year old plays on the Xbox or PS3.

But honestly? The Wii? It is a crap console, not because it doesnt have BF3 on it, but because it has almost nothing on it but Wii sport clones and other stuff that grandma might like.

Brawl? Zelda: Twilight?

But honestly? The Wii? It has almost nothing on it but Wii sport clones and other stuff that grandma might like. Interesting statistic I heard last week. The majority of Wii consoles only have Wii Sports on it and nothing else. I think that tells you enough about the target demographic Nintendo aimed at with the Wii.

Hey don't forget mariokart, wii fit, brawl, mario party, zelda, sports resort, galaxy, warioware and super mario bros wii! :}

My wii isn't used as much as my PS3 but its definitely not sitting in the dust. Besides when you have girls over, they never want to play Battlefield, FIFA or GT5. Mariokart is always a hit. :wub:

Hey don't forget mariokart, wii fit, brawl, mario party, zelda, sports resort, galaxy, warioware and super mario bros wii! :}

My wii isn't used as much as my PS3 but its definitely not sitting in the dust. Besides when you have girls over, they never want to play Battlefield, FIFA or GT5. Mariokart is always a hit. :wub:

Sorry to disappoint you, but the vast majority of the 150 million+ wii owners dont even know what Brawl, Mariokart and Zelda are. They just bought the thing because they saw you could play tennis with it and that it had motion control.

Even then, that are 9 games (of which half are party games) for a console that has been out for over 6 years. Thats not exactly a lot.

Also, for most 14 year olds, whether a girl likes the games you got on your console or not is not really a consideration.

Oh look... another Wii hater ¬¬

Please, get back on topic, people.

Well, I like FPS, it's not my favorite genre, but I would rank it on third, after strategy and simulation genres. Personally I have not been playing a lot of FPS, and since the only game of that genre on the Wii (shut it, you) is Call of Duty, well, that's the only one I play, since my laptop would melt before even going halfway the first mission on any modern FPS.

What I like is the old FPS games, those were really well done and are pretty good to play even today. For example Quake, that game still makes me jump every time I run into some enemy I cannot see directly, it is one of the games of the genre for me, and I am not surprised that id Software made another two games of it, but the original one is the one I like, not for the graphics, they really suck for today's standards, but for the engaging gameplay it has.

I think it's hard to just have all fist person shooters classified mindless button mashers, although I haven’t got the most recent COD my last one I purchased was world at War and that was definitely in your category of mindless. Nether the less it was still a good game, but I wouldn’t exactly play it over again and it’s not exactly memorable. I think its appeal is that it is just good fun and that it. You don’t have to think about it, the game is designed in that way, but in saying that I can see the attraction in multiplayer, it is highly competitive and the simple nature of the game allows for that. It’s like virtual Paint Ball with you mates, you seek out the friend you won’t to injure the most and make him pay.

I guess my most played list (as in time spent playing) would be

1. SimCity (all of them )

2. Civ 2, 3, & 5

3. Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3

4. Fallout 3

5. Fallout 3 NV

6. Assassin’s, (all of them) I don’t know about anyone else but A3 was a bit disappointing for me

7. Deus EX

8. Bio Shock 1 & 2

The rest is just a mash of Age of empires, LA Noire, Warcarft 2, Crysis, Red Alert C&C, Need For Speed and so on………

Apart from the top two the rest mostly are "shooter" type games, most are story driven, which I like but at the end of the day I’m killing wave after wave of Plebs like every other shoot game except, I just take longer to do it.

I play a lot of shooters. 412 hours in BF3, 300 plus in BC2... ArmA, CoD, every Halo save Wars, Planetside, Far Cry 3... The list goes pretty far back.

I played my fair share of Call of Duty before Modern Warfare and after, but I can't stomach arcade shooters much anymore. There's no teamwork and little strategy involved. Even the dinkiest ArmA mission is more enjoyable. I still hop into BF3 from time to time since it's easy to get in a round and shut off my brain, letting instinct take over.

I play a pretty wide selection of other games as well, like Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, GW2, Elder Scrolls stuff... There's just something about the shooter genre that I enjoy. The competition between players and testing your responses when you barely have time to think are appealing to me. And when you have a few friends on VOIP -for example- providing close air support... it can be a special thing. There's a certain camaraderie doing that sort of thing with people you know and trust. Can make for some hilarious emergent gameplay as well.

• Original Poster
  • Sorry to disappoint you, but the vast majority of the 150 million+ wii owners dont even know what Brawl, Mariokart and Zelda are.

Blame the people for not looking at games, not the console.

Sorry to disappoint you, but the vast majority of the 150 million+ wii owners dont even know what Brawl, Mariokart and Zelda are.

Blame the people for not looking at games, not the console.

so far so right, but it sure enough shows what people expect that console to do.

nintendo barely has a recognition as a "real" gaming platform, more like a family friendly arcade-ish console.

and the bad hardware specs upon release of the wii - which had the worst hardware of it's generation - did their part to push the wii even further away from where the 360 and ps3 are to both gamers and publishers.

this seems to change with the wii u at the moment which is basically the first 8th gen console, but it shows that nintendo somewhat lags one generation behind, as the wii u can at best be compared to afore mentioned 7th generation giants 360/ps3... which will be last generation by this years holiday season

Why does it seem like FPS games are the only thing people play anymore? I've played my fair share of them, and I don't see as much appeal. Going around the Internet, I see all kinds of people saying stuff like "real gamers only play COD" and stuff like that. What's with all the appeal compared to other kinds

If someone says stuff like "Real gamers only play...", there's that weird noise in my ear, and all that gets through to my brain is "Look at me, I'm an immature jerk! Yes, me! Over here!". It's a great idiot detector and makes it easier for you to choose whom to ignore.

As for the appeal of shooters, I guess it consists of:

• being able to jump right into them
    • good immersion due to first-person perspective
    • action
    • possibly multiplayer to join your friends online
    • relatively flexible duration

It takes some time to get the hang of strategy games, simulations, 4X games, and economy/business simulations. All these are harder to get into, less immersive, more complex to operate, require a longer attention span and more patience. This also means that even if there is the possibility to play with your friends, you'll have a harder time finding people who are willing to learn the game.

Another important factor is the last point listed above - you can play an FPS for 30 minutes, or for hours on end. 2-3 rounds "capture the flag", or some longer battles. In other games, you need more time to get something going.

Finally, maybe the fans of FPS games are just more vocal about these games than about simulations? Let's face it, it's easier to brag with your headshot count or your ranks than with how quickly you developed the combustion engine in Civilization, I suppose...

All this being said, the FPS games I played are Wolfenstein/Spear of Destiny, Doom/Doom II, Quake 1-3, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, and then not much more... HL2 for a while, but I didn't play it through. Recently, the only shooter game that looked interesting to me was Borderlands 2 because of the macabre humour, the utterly crazy (and many different!) weapons, the co-op teamplay, and the roleplay-like character development options. And it's so wacky that you don't mind illogical aspects.

Maybe it's also a question of age. Back when I was 14, I didn't mind some general stupidity (dumb enemies, illogical levels, obvious scripting). Nowadays, when there's a key on a raised podest, and as soon as I grab it, I hear a wall behing me opening, I'll find myself rolling my eyes and thinking "oh, of course - how original, aren't we?". That's what happened to me when I played HL2 - such a great atmosphere, so huge levels - but all linear, all scripted.

Crawl around under that bridge... think "gee, I'll make a jolly good target for one of them Combine gunships here"... find rocket launcher ammo all the time... enter the control room at the other end of the bridge, pull the plug... think "now it should come"... hear the noise of an approaching gunship... *sigh*

I am not massively keen on FPS and I would say that I only own one true FPS with necrovision but I also have borderlnads 2, Fallout NV and the Portal series..."I'm in Space."

Correction I also have Future soldier so two FPS games. I found both rather boring since online FPS is not my cup of tea. I want story immersion and open exploration or intensely deep strategy.

Well, I can understand how all these things really get on your nerves, but of course they are strictly limited to [online] multiplayer. In this environment, cheaters would be my #1 on the list.

In single-player, offline play, there are also things about FPS games that can be really annoying. For example, veeery obvious scripting, especially if it's repetitive. Like when you enter a room and there's an item you must get, and you know beforehand that some wall will open behind you - once again! - and some enemies will come for you. Or jumps / jump sequences that are so tricky that you need to repeat them many times - fall down, run through half the level again, fall down, and so on... or reload endlessly. :dead:

I also hate those situations when you need to hold a position and the game keeps throwing enemies at you. Or when you need to make an endless walk back through an area you already cleared.

Moreover, boss fights can sometimes be frustrating. I mean, they are supposed to be difficult, no problem. However, sometimes they are either very easy because there's some kind of exploit you can (ab)use, and other times you need to reload a zillion times because you need to get several things in a row perfectly right at once, and if you don't -> dead.

@Mr Saturn64: After reading this entire thread(yes I do that), I get the impression that it is about "online co-operative FPS" games? I can see why you would be turned off by those.

I am a fan of the FPS genre with Role Playing flavors. I am a "single player" fan of these games: Return to Castle Wolfenstein, Half Life2 series and mods using the Source engine, Fallout 1, 2, and 3, and NewVegas including the mods, Quake 4, Unreal 2, Deus Ex:Human Revolution(you can actually play this one without killing a single character), and the entire STALKER series.

The reason? It's not the shooting, or the "Boss" battles(some don't have Bosses), but, as T Wrecks mentioned, it is the Immersion, including the "combat immersion". I usually end up exploring every nook and cranny of all the map levels and my favorite combat role is that of the "sniper"(which requires a lot of stealth and patience).

For me, it is like a movie or a good book where I am the protagonist and I get to decide what I see, hear and do within the authors' setting. In "co-op" mode, I feel like I am being moved around by a bad movie director. I prefer the "lone wolf" fantasy in FPS games.

I have ARMA:Gold but haven't installed it yet, so I can not pontificate on it. I know I bought it for some reason?

I don't like Arma. At least, not as single player game. Actually, I wouldn't even call it a shooter, its a military combat simulator. And those just aren't fun to play on your own because your AI teammates suck.

If you want to play Arma, find a clan or get a group of friends to play it with. If you do that right, you end up with a game where you can actually simulate pretty realistic combat scenarios. 

Please be respectful of my opinion before commenting!

PS I have played some good shotters, but for others, not so much appeal.

To give a seriuos answer it would take an essay if not a book. One major problem is that fiction is divided on "good" and "bad" quite from the beginning. As there were only books, there were good books and bad books. Gladly today there are computer games. So people can say: books are good pc games are bad.

This is a major problem because it's a problem that blocks a serious discussion quite from the start.

We had to look upon what is fiction for: what does it, what cultural role plays it, why mankind needs fiction? This question had to be answered before you can judge sorts of fiction by its (ethic?) quality.

Soon you would find that in a extrem complex society were just for travelling with your bicycle to the next bakery you have know thousands of rules (basics in the organisation traffic, of economies, of social behavior etc.) FPS seems to perfectly fullfill a need.

"The last of us" could be an example even if it's no typical FPS. But it's success is explainable. These type of games liberates the player from beeing socially embedded - normally FPS are settled in a (apocalyptic) scenario where all those social rules are broken up. Two advantages: the developer of the games hasn't to respect the boundares of our culture. You got rid of the problem writers of detectiv storys mostly have: to make their figures act logical - that the murdering make sense. This "making sense" is based on the cultural rules. In a world where all the cultural rules are broken is so much easier to invent a story that seems to be logical. Because for every given subject you can invent the motivation you need. And then: no one can be offended. Think of a game where you had to shoot penguins. Animal rights activist would flame you. But if you shoot some strange creatures - who should flame you except some strange creatures? So this is the first thing to understand: FPS tend to have a settlement that allows to make a very simple story telling.

As less effort the creator have to invent a story as less problems players will have to follow it. But why is this attractive?

Adventures are probably the most closed approach to storrytelling similar to novels in computer games. But the best times for adventures are over. Remember Lucas Arts, Space Quest, Day of the Tentacle? Who's making adventures today? Comic books to play? There are many indy adventures out there following this tradition.

To make a cut here: it seems there is a relationship between the complexity of a society and the plainness of it's fiction. Fiction should normally be the counterbalance to reality. As fiction is perfect to make us reflect about our reality. For changing the point of view. Fiction allways makes this very important question: what would be if ...? So fiction is a excellent if not the best tool of mankind to change the point of view.

But what does it mean if fiction doesn't do that any more, if it doesn't fulfill it's so immesurably important function to be a counterpart to reallity – to reflect and critisize realitiy so it helps us to see what's going wrong? What does it mean if fiction becomes trivial and uninterested in our contemporary social structures?

Many possibilites. But obviously FPS are the escape of fiction in a closed world. Not a dispute with reality it's a complete denial. Where even the player is isolated, alone by himself. He doesn't need to respect the rules of well educated bevior. This endless amount of rules (off topic: "Ruprecht! Don't take the kork of the fork!") and you are always the one to follow never the one who settles them. And obviously there is a great desire to follow the path in a closed up world. Where no rules are and you can make them.

Don't judge this! Ask: why?

I personally think our society got to complex to be really handled by the individual. That's where bureaucracy comes in need. And instead that fiction critisize reality it invites players in a hermetic world where these so terrible complex society is suspended. FPS aren't so different to other games. They only got a step further. Where most games tend to create their own world with their own rules, FPS tend to create a world with as few rules as possible. But also this could be understanded as a statement about our social reality.

And thats the reason why FPS are so successful.

I strongly believe – in a world without manners FPS never could be successfull. And so finally their success is a good sign. If this kind of fiction is attractive so our society can't be really down.

Only thing we should consider – if FPS become more and more violent it could mean that our society became a bit overregulated.

As with all things, it's not the medium, it's the people. I play a lot of CoD, but I do it with my friends mostly. We cut up, BS, and generally have fun. And we find many matches, albeit less than not, where we find decent players that aren't about talking tough on a microphone. Now CoD, could be the best, but lag comp allows for sales to more people. Once again, it's the people, they sell a game to people that can't really "afford", shall we say. The people buy it, get lag comp because they're white trash, I say this because you can't go and high speed internet game, with your 2MB walmart connection. But as with again, people, they don't know or care to know they're basically cheating. They just want to go through life thinking they're awesome, doesn't matter if they're right or not... Plus, as my final point, it's people. Soon as they have an advantage, they press it, lord it over others, and general unpleasantness... It's the choice people make. In reaity, it's not bad games, or people that immerse themselves too far. It's that people have free will, whether they believe it or not, and they do very little to justify having it...