Sign in to follow this  
Joronamo

City Boundaries

2 posts in this topic Last Reply

Alot has been said about the tile size or lack of, and the useless empty space between tiles. I have a suggestion thats a bit more realistic.

If EA doesnt want to increase 2km 2km thats fine, but why not allow us to create our own tiles and let them be polygon shape? They said we can play and manage our own region if we want? Well why not let us manage the shape and location of each city we build.

If you look at the LA Basin for example, neither of the cities are perfectly square, you have Santa Monica with a weird shape, adjacent to Culver City, adjacent to Valley/LA to Compton, Pasadena etc. What do you think?

Because they store their stuff based on a grid which is (unless you're Klingon) square based. It's easier to compute the map at coordinates x=50, y=41 rather than to have weird equations to define a custom-made polygon. The problem isn't about the surface of your city, it's about its very position and how the game processes it. I'm sure it would actually be easier with nowadays' computers, of course, but I reckon this could still be a limitation.

And while I understand that there shouldn't be too much hardships fitting a polygon on a map (based on its center of gravity for instance? An 8th-grader can do that in her head) - it may have more to do with that moment when cities touch each other or come close to each other. I'm also sure Glassbox thinks with grids too, not counting pathfinding, so with a square you can't go much wrong. Or simply, again, that x=50, y=41 with a 2x2 square has a lot of implicit benefits whereas your weird 1540-sides polygon at x=50.25545987 and y=41.2485711 will need a lot of extra calculations if just to define its boundaries.