Cool Story Hansel

Maximum safe config map size? (Not region)

13 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hello,

Sorry if this question has already been asked in these forums and I'm being annoying but I couldn't find the answer anywhere, by searching the forums or using the Search button.

I'm wondering what safe map sizes are available to use, using the config. file as a reference. For example some maps seem to be 16x16 and seem quite small. I was experimenting myself (Always using completely blue config tiles/maps consisting of large regions only), playing around with 32x32, 64x64, 128x128 and 256x256. The former two worked without problems, the 128x128 had a 5 second delay between clicks and some regions that could not be scrolled over while the 256x256 crashed the game immediately.

To get down the question itself, are there any side effects using a 64x64 map, apart from expected slowdowns? Will it crash not from CPU pressure, but from limits or parameters reached that wouldn't occur in smaller maps, such as too many calculations? Hope this question makes sense, though I've played the life out of Simcity 2000 Network edition and Simcity 3000, I'm still very new to the whole region gameplay and modifiable map sizes of Simcity 4.

Thank you for your time.

20x20 large city tiles can run safely or 80x80 pixels for the config.bmp. the theoretical upper limit is 22x22 large city tiles or 88x88 pixels for the config.bmp. beyond that limit it will cause an automatic CTD due to the limitations of the game. anything below 400 large city tiles will run safely.

On 11/21/2012 at 3:32 PM, chimeran said:

20x20 large city tiles can run safely or 80x80 pixels for the config.bmp. the theoretical upper limit is 22x22 large city tiles or 88x88 pixels for the config.bmp. beyond that limit it will cause an automatic CTD due to the limitations of the game. anything below 400 large city tiles will run safely.

is there any way to hack the games limitations? just curious. i have massive region i wanted to play as that's 208px x 120px and it crashes whenever i try to load it. 

On 8/12/2017 at 11:34 AM, Joe_Winko_From_YouTube said:

is there any way to hack the games limitations?

Sorry I missed your post. I do follow this (Mapping Community Room) forum, but the site software only notifies me of newly created threads. Anyhow, I believe it comes down to how much RAM the game can access so it'd require a whole re-write to 64 bit or something. Way beyond what any of us can do.

On 12.8.2017 at 5:34 PM, Joe_Winko_From_YouTube said:

is there any way to hack the games limitations?

*cough cough* according to site rules this is not a type of question you should be asking

As for region/config sizes, @Tarkus did some research on that a few weeks ago here; http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17831.msg519899#msg519899

↑ seems to indicate that you are pushing the limits of what is possible

208x120 would seem to be theoretically possible to load without crashing, but only with the 4GB patch applied and a powerful enough system (I managed to load 120x252 on my 4-year-old ASUS desktop).  However, due to the scroll issue, many tiles in the eastern half would be completely inaccessible (124 is the farthest one can go with all large tiles without encountering the scroll issue).  That 120x252 didn't work either due to the scroll issue down to the south and the east.  I would also note that my tests on a 120x252 were with a completely flat, undeveloped region, and the presence of more interesting terrain or development may put further restriction on that.

If you wanted 208 on the height instead of the width, that is actually possible, as the scroll issue isn't as picky on the height as the width.  But the maximum width is going to be quite a bit less than 120.  It'd require testing to figure out just how wide one could go at 208px height.

-Tarkus

On 8/21/2017 at 8:27 PM, Yarahi said:

*cough cough* according to site rules this is not a type of question you should be asking

As for region/config sizes, @Tarkus did some research on that a few weeks ago here; http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=17831.msg519899#msg519899

↑ seems to indicate that you are pushing the limits of what is possible

it's against the rules to hack and modify the game so that the large region would work? how come? it's not like stealing it or anything. 

and yeah, i got the big region to work but i couldn't scroll to the east because the 'scroll limit'. 

doesn't seem like there's a way around that either :( but if anyone ever discovers one, please post it here. 

13 minutes ago, Joe_Winko_From_YouTube said:

it's against the rules to hack and modify the game

It's against the game EULA.. and since ST (and also SC4D) have an agrement with EA, it is against site rules to publicly discuss.

Personally; what you do in the comfort of your home is no one else's business.. but just don't expect any support if something goes wrong

3 hours ago, Joe_Winko_From_YouTube said:

it's against the rules to hack and modify the game so that the large region would work? how come? it's not like stealing it or anything. 

I think the real problem here is with the use of the word "hack", which implies wrong-doing of a sort. Whilst it's not stealing, the problem you face comes from modifying the main .exe, doing so requires disabling the anti-piracy measures in the process and that's the point where you break the EULA, potentially leading to problems with EA's legal team.

Were there another way around the problem perhaps, such as a .dll mod, then it might be achievable. Ignoring what can and can't be discussed here, unless you are some sort of expert C++ coder, this is not a realistic possibility. Unless some miracle happens, you'll probably need to live with this limit. Although given the amount of time it would take to fill such a map with a well-made region, it's not really that limiting if you think about it.

31 minutes ago, rsc204 said:

Although given the amount of time it would take to fill such a map with a well-made region,

I think that is the whole point. What's the use of creating huge regions which no one will never fill?

2 hours ago, rsc204 said:

I think the real problem here is with the use of the word "hack", which implies wrong-doing of a sort. Whilst it's not stealing, the problem you face comes from modifying the main .exe, doing so requires disabling the anti-piracy measures in the process and that's the point where you break the EULA, potentially leading to problems with EA's legal team.

^oh, well that makes sense. 

Were there another way around the problem perhaps, such as a .dll mod, then it might be achievable.

^yeah, that'd be better.

given the amount of time it would take to fill such a map with a well-made region, it's not really that limiting if you think about it.

^you'll be very shocked with how much time i have on my hands... :S 

On 8/25/2017 at 4:56 PM, rsc204 said:

given the amount of time it would take to fill such a map with a well-made region, it's not really that limiting

On the other hand, if one could store the game's documents folders on a public file-server, then several people might be able to mount it to their filesystems and collaborate on one region. The server would probably need to pay for a lot of bandwidth, and config management would be an issue, but it could be fun to work with others, with various team members possibly specializing on aspects that they enjoy most.

People have been doing that privately for years, syncing though file services like OneDrive, Google Drive etc. Provided you follow some simple rules, it's totally doable.

Of course you can't do that in real time, I don't think it would be possible without the potential to really screw up save files frankly. But doing it the offline way removes any potential bandwidth costs too.