Sign in to follow this  
Priyon

Trees on low plains in Meadowshire Terrain mod

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi,

I have downloaded the Meadowshire terrain mod, along with the dependencies and tree controller. I used it, and I have an issue.

When I try to plop forests, it only creates them around high areas. I have a large low-plain area which I want to fill with forests. But I cannot. Is it an issue? Or a design decision for the mod?

How can I solve it? How can I be able to create forests on plain areas? :uhm:

*Sorry if I created thread in wrong area. This site is somewhat confusing compared to other forums...

It's part of the Meadowshire tree controller. To allow for a realistic array of trees, the engine only places them in locations that are different in elevation. Don't try to fill that area up with trees, it won't work. What you can do, and that's what I do, is fill the gap with mayor mode menu trees. Some of those trees should come as a dependency with the controller itself.

• Original Poster
  • Mayor mode trees? It will be very tedious, I have difficulty even imagining...

Yes, it is realistic. But most of the time I wish to create the land my own way. If something forces me towards 'realism' then I am upset.

I will be tempted to play with that nice grass, but I guess now I will have to delete this mod to get my dense forest in place. :cry:

Is there really no way to remove this 'realistic feature'? Like removing a file or editing it?

This is what I'm doing:

- Exit simcity.

- Temporarily uninstall the tree controller (move the tree controller plugin out of the Plugins folder, eg on your Desktop), BUT LEAVE THE DEPENDENCY PLUGIN(s) INSTALLED!

- Run simcity, open your city, and plant the trees you want (as currently the Maxis tree controller is effective and you will be getting the ingame oaks at the lower elevations and the ingame pines a little higher).

- Save your city and exit simcity.

- Move the tree controller plugin back to its original location.

- Run simcity and open your city again, and complete your tree planting - mostly at higher elevations (now the custom tree controller is effective and you will be getting the custom-content trees).

So the above procedure requires a few more steps, but does allow planting trees at lower elevations.

CAUTION: Beware, never open a city tile that was planted using the custom tree controller (ie having even ONE custom tree), while the tree controller is removed. Data corruption possible!!!

• Original Poster
  • Thanks, I will try the procedure.

So in other words, making dense forests while keeping the mod installed is not possible.

CAUTION: Beware, never open a city tile that was planted using the custom tree controller (ie having even ONE custom tree), while the tree controller is removed. Data corruption possible!!!

What about if you were to change Tree controllers?

What about if you were to change Tree controllers?

Many (or all?) of these CP controllers are somehow "compatible" meaning that they contain the same flora exemplars, although with some parameters changed, eg some trees have different requirements to appear (like humidity or elevations) or do not appear at all - but they are still in the tree controller plugin. The key point is to avoid opening a city tile containing a tree type that the game can't find If you change the controller, there won't be any problem if the tree exemplar exists, even if with the new controller's settings the tree can't be planted using a tree brush in God mode, it only needs to be there. And of course, the Maxis controller doesn't contain the extra flora types, so the steps I described above (temporarily remove the custom controller and plant the Maxis trees) may be taken ONLY ONCE per city tile - after you have planted at least one custom tree, the city tile should be opened only with the custom controller (or a compatible one) installed. If you accidentally open such a city without having the controller installed, exit without saving.