Sign in to follow this  
Sm0ker

Better graphics

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all!

When i see all the cities on this site i notice the graphics are way better than how it looks in my game.

Why is that? Is it the lots/buildings you use or is there some mod to increase the quality?

I would love to hear from you :D

depends on how you define "better graphics"

mind sharing some links to those?

there's a hell of a lot of custom content and almost everything changes the looks of the game by either adding new "looks" or enhancing old.

hard to tell what you're talking about without a picture.

• Original Poster
  • For example this one from the homepage;

http://community.simtropolis.com/journal/693/entry-18953-inner-city/

The overall quality is so much better than in my game.

In my game i seem to have some anti-aliasing issues or something, the borders of a building are kind of sketchy.

I did have some custom content which looked more like the example, but never that good.

Right now i'm doing a clean install, do you recommend any mods to increase the 'overall quality'?

Everything in those pictures (excepting a few props) is custom content. Custom content is generally of higher quality than the buildings originally put into the game by Maxis, especially some of the newer stuff made with 3DSMax. I also recommend switching to Hardware rendering and choosing the maximum graphics options from the in-game menu.

Also, many City Journalists (myself included) photoshop the coloration and such in their pictures which can change the look of the scenes.

About the antialiasing, the reason those pictures look better is because they're taken from zoom 5 and then in Photoshop they shrink the image down, and when the image gets shrunk down Photoshop blends the pixels accordingly. So the AA is being done in photoshop not in the game. It's also possible that after shrinking the image they sharpened it a little.

As far as I know the only way to improve the graphics in the game is to just put all the graphics settings to the max.

The overall quality is so much better than in my game

The main thing would be to use "Hardware Rendering", and to jack up all the graphic settings to "Maximum".

Other than that I don't do much to my pics - I do pass them through photoshop, but usually just do some slight color corrections - a tad more saturation and a bit of sharpening, that's all (I'm not a friend of excessive post-processing).

Only for my night shots I do a little more enhancing, to get rid of the purplish tint in 'native' SC pics and to get darkness without losing too much detail - the main reason why I don't use any of the available day-night-mods...

oops - some posts came in while I typed... sorry for the redundancy :-)

• Original Poster
  • Thanks for the quick responses from everyone!

It never entered my mind those pictures were photoshopped :P

My settings are at max and im searching for some good custom content right now.

Ill post some pics if it turns out nice :)

a lot of those city journals are photo shopped to add those neat effects, you can however download some mods, such as water and other more detailed terrain textures, replacing maxis trees isnt also a bad idea, then of course the city it self, maxis structures tend to uhh... repeat, so plopable BATs or a total maxis removal are a few ideas to think about when creating a more eye candy city

personally terrain, few grow able bats and RHW are all i need, because im more of the type that prioritizes cities by functionality more than visually

SC4 is close to 10 years old :party: , and the default resolutions the engine handles doesn't work well with modern monitors, especially HD monitors. When I recently started playing again, I got a tip to edit the shortcut to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe" -CustomResolution:enabled -r1920x1080x32 (in one line). User Interface is less in the way and custom content like downloaded vehicles appears better detailed, but Maxis buildings will be Maxis buildings, I'm afraid. Though I don't use the closest zoom much, unless I really have too..

Several members here suggest to use 'hardware rendering', and although that indeed looks better I always have the problem that the game becomes very laggy and unresponsive when doing that. Especially when zooming in/out or scrolling from one location to another. I've never been able to fix that, so therefore I'm sticking to 'software rendering' with all other settings on max (and custom resolution).

Does anybody know if there is a fix for this problem, as I really would like to use the 'hardware rendering' but as it is now it just becomes unplayable? :cry:

Edit:

Actually, never mind, I just found that tweaking the 3D settings of my Nvidia graphics card is the key. I switched to 'Force alternate frame rendering' and it's already much better now. I also found a post here with a lot of suggestions , so I will dive into that a bit more.

I can already say that with 'hardware rendering' on, it really looks much more vibrant and colorful and the shadows are much better :D

Should have looked a bit better before asking I guess..... :blush: