Sign in to follow this  
WeBuiltThisCityOnSimCity

Does anyone find it funny how much effort we invest in SimCity 4?

12 posts in this topic Last Reply

What I'd like to know is how many of us Sim Citizens actually work or aspire to work in something intimately related to urbanism (where our city building skills are productive and lucrative). I, for instance, aspire to civil engineering specialized in transport. Other people may want to be architects, city planners, local government officials (say, the mayor and/or his advisers), statisticians or real estate entrepreneurs.

SimCity, though, is probably the best tool available to port our city-oriented imagination into a tangible form; and thus this is why we devout so much effort into making it work!

SC4 is a hobby, I have no regrets sinking so much time into a game that I enjoy.

...And SC4 is not unique. Many people invest an insane amount of time (and money!) in similar games like The Sims and Minecraft. Then there's custom mod packs for first person shooters, MMORPGs and everything in-between.

I'm a follower of the professional Starcraft scene... and these players make gaming their job. I'm watching an event in Shanghai right now where the winner takes home 100 grand. Essentially a sport.

So when you compare avid SC4 players and modders to the rest of the video game scene, we're pretty on-par in comparison. ;)

I myself have been playing Simcity a very long time . I find it nice and relaxing , like some people do reading books , There is no time limit , so you can relax while playing .

Simcity4 is like painting a canvas , where each city built is a peice of art ,unique in many aspects . Thanks to all the uploaders of content here at Simtropolis and around the web .

And as far as science goes , it is a science to get great looking cities as far as I am concerned . You have a budget to manage also .

Well , Science , Art and Math . smash them all together and you get Simcity4 .

Have a great day everyone .

And I found it was a bus-man’s holiday when I was still working. I am a retired computer professional and professor of computer science, and I found it interesting to try to penetrate the mentality of the programmers and predict what the game would do. Now that I am retired, I play for the leisure pleasure I get out of dreaming up new scenarios for city construction. I also have the pleasure of interacting here with other members.

I play nearly every day, sometimes for several hours at a stretch. There is one thing about being retired and partially disabled, you have a lot of leisure hours to fill.

I am a retired computer professional and professor of computer science, and I found it interesting to try to penetrate the mentality of the programmers and predict what the game would do.

Thank you. That is the best articulation I've heard of how I approach the game.

As Dragonxander points out, SC4 is educational is many ways. There are worse things we could be spending our time on.

Well, from a systems analysis point of view, SC4 is a very nice exercise in problem solving. First you get to create a problem, then work on solving it. The game is very good at finding other problems for you to solve as a consequence of any action you take. It has the advantage of having infinite patience, and won't dump you into the U.S. Senate unless you are complete dub.

Well I can honestly say that I've invested far much more of my time on SC4 than I ever have on any other video game.

The only other game that comes close for me is Football Manager, which is reincarnated every year for the new season, so I'm not sure if that counts or not.

SC4 is still the original game from 2003 (I think), albeit with an almost constant conveyer belt of mods and custom content to keep it fresh.

Personally, I have no desire to translate my (lack of) city building skills to my professional life, rather I find it a nice way to relax after the stresses and strains of my working day.

I got the bug for this game playing the first Sim City on my Mac SE (older members may remember them), many moons ago, and I'm still addicted all these years later.

I wonder how many others find themselves, like myself, planning their next suburb or which buildings are going to be destroyed to make way for that much needed highway, in their mind during quieter parts of the day ?

I would also say that without the excellent Simtropolis, my enthusiasm for SC4 may have waned somewhat. So a big thank you to everyone involved in this site for keeping the game as enjoyable as it ever was.

Cheers.

Well said. Something fresh can still be found in exploring the new stuff in the STEX, especially the NAM and related items. We have to give a lot of thanks to the modding community, and the NAM team in particular.

I can honestly say that I've invested far much more of my time on SC4 than I ever have on any other video game.

Yes, same here... Actually I'm not much of a 'gamer' at all (even though I have the time, being another one of the retired faction) - once in a while I catch the bug and then play a title really hard, but soon the fever dies and I move on...SC is the one exception to that - I been playing it steadily ever since its first iteration, but my main love is SC4RH, due to all the fantastic custom content... up to a point where I now dabble with lotting and modding myself, something I have never done for any other game...

Over the years my interests have shifted though - I used to get high on solving the challenges like pollution, traffic congestion and general movement in my cities. Nowadays I'm more interested in 'painting' cities - as probably befits a retired designer LOL... I still solve the problems, but that is not my main challenge anymore, but rather part of preparing the canvas for a new 'painting'.

I have invested a lot of time into SC4. I have probabaly invested about the same amount in the 3 roller coaster tycoon titles as well. I just really like all these building games a lot. Also, I agree that it does promote a lot of problem solving, and it has greatly influenced my plans of becoming a city planner (I'm currently a senior in high school).