Sign in to follow this  
kwetzel345

Do you find it strange that for simcity beta sign up they removed dxdiag report upload requirment?

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

I post because to me this seems very odd to get rid of. Could this mean they are making major changes to the game and maybe are still figuring what is the right system specs are for the updated game? My thought of them getting rid of that requirement is the dxdiag requirements have changed so much that they need time to see what the new one would be, and that is why they have gotten rid of it. This my be wishful thinking, but why not speculate.

What are your thoughts? I am very curious to know.

P.S. I am no computer genius and have just put down the reasons of dxdiag as a thought. Frankly, I am not 100 percent sure what they are for, but just have a general idea. This is why these are thoughts.

They probably gathered enough computer specs required for what they need to do. So, they may not need anymore.

Edit:

Example:

System Model: Aspire X3400G

BIOS: Default System BIOS

Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X2 255 Processor (2 CPUs), ~3.1GHz

Memory: 4096MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 3840MB RAM

Page File: 2023MB used, 5652MB available

Dxdiag just shows computer specifications, helps developers know what type of computers their working with.

I'd say it's because whichever web designer they got to design the signup page isn't competent enough to work with server-side code to change the name to a unique value which identifies it with the uploader. It wouldn't be a terribly hard thing to do.

I predict that they'll choose a larger number of users than they have places for, ask all of them for DxDiags, then wait an arbitrary amount of time for replies before doing the same thing again for the remaining open places.

They probably gathered enough computer specs required for what they need to do. So, they may not need anymore.

Dxdiag just shows computer specifications, helps developers know what type of computers their working with.

I'd say it's because whichever web designer they got to design the signup page isn't competent enough to work with server-side code to change the name to a unique value which identifies it with the uploader. It wouldn't be a terribly hard thing to do.

I predict that they'll choose a larger number of users than they have places for, ask all of them for DxDiags, then wait an arbitrary amount of time for replies before doing the same thing again for the remaining open places.

Could be either/or... although I suspect its the first... they gathered enough information from beta signups to have an average, high end and bottom end baseline of computers people are running.

Remember needing to set a unique name for the file and the server rejecting you if it clashed with someone else? I do. I also know for a fact that they've had the CSS set any text fields on that page (Like the one used to point the browser to the file which was to be uploaded) to 'hidden' since about two weeks after the Beta was announced.

I highly doubt that the specs allocation is now irrelevant (They still need to know if they're offering a place to someone with what can be compared with a Pentium 386), it's just that the initial problem is too large to fix and that they'll recollect the information during the confirmation stage.