Sign in to follow this  
alexbill

New SimCity Insider Blog

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

So Maxis just posted a very interesting blog in SimCity Insider about the soundtrack.

The guy who does the soundtrack is really a genius. The sound that he attached to the post is so fluid as he describes how the actions he's doing impact on the soundtrack.

I love the way the music works in this Simcity. Thanks to the glassbox we actually will have music based on what is happening the other games seemed to have something like that but more based on your funds. I can imagine just stop building and watch my city go by as I listen to this new music. Great job Maxis!

It all seems pretty standard to me to be honest, I liked the tune in the beginning but when the intro was over I felt like stopping it. I do wonder what engine they're using, maybe some engine made by them or perhaps they use Fmod. Anyways, wasn't that impressed, but maybe I've seen too many of those kind of things already. The way they describe it really does make me believe it is Fmod, I guess it would work pretty well in conjunction with the glassbox engine.

Blog was nice I guess, but I only care about the music when I find the gameplay good enough.

Usually the first thing I always turn off in ANY game is the music... no matter how good or bad it is, I want to play the game. If I want to hear music I will turn the game sound off and play my own music.

Usually the first thing I always turn off in ANY game is the music... no matter how good or bad it is, I want to play the game. If I want to hear music I will turn the game sound off and play my own music.

This is very much a 15 year old problem, back when CD's were new on games, they forced whatever unsuited music the devs liked at the time, onto the player, and usually at a volume that belonged in windows, not the game. So yes, many of us turned the music off, it was usually dumb or overran the other game effects.

These days however, it's much better, it's built into the game, it's usually defaulted to a good volume level and usually matches the gameplay. All i will say is, please try music in modern games, even if you cut the default volume slider to halfway for the music, it's part of the game these days, not an afterthought. You're stuck in the past if you keep turning it off without trying it, i know someone just like you, they can't handle it and never try it.