Sign in to follow this  
ROFLyoshi

Meanwhile in Australian education...

21 posts in this topic Last Reply

...we are taught that the Russian Revolution involved fighting robots, as seen here.

I am one of the many Year 12 students completing their VCE (high school diploma), and found this especially amusing. Although I did not study the course that contained the image, 'History - Revolutions', I have many colleagues that came across this blunder.

Anything like this happened to you?

The Russian Revolution occurred in 1917 while Russia was involved in WW I against the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The word robot didn't enter the public consciousness until 1920 with the publication of Karel Capec's R.U.R. [ Rossem's Universal Robots ].

Whatever educational operation put that piece of fiction into the curriculum needs to be taken out behind the barn and taught not to lie, especially to students. There were no "robots" at that time except for perhaps some automated Jacquard looms and other factory equipment.

By the way, accessing that link hits a pay wall. It is going to be harder and harder to cite news articles as this becomes more prevalent.

By the way, accessing that link hits a pay wall. It is going to be harder and harder to cite news articles as this becomes more prevalent.

Just click the X. Or disable javascript.

Australia's just doing that because they need the money for the new Clem Jones Tunnel in Melbourne which will move all the gridlock on Hoddle Street to Dynon Road without actually solving anything. If I was asked to describe Vicroads and the Victoria government in one word, I'd use the R word.

Australia's just doing that because they need the money for the new Clem Jones Tunnel in Melbourne which will move all the gridlock on Hoddle Street to Dynon Road without actually solving anything. If I was asked to describe Vicroads and the Victoria government in one word, I'd use the R word.

I don't think the pay wall is governmental. It is actually the newspaper trying to get some revenue so they can stay in business.

Yes, well, servers don't pay for themselves and ads have become a less lucrative market - people mostly either ignore them or block them outright.

Some paywalls can be circumvented by blocking Javascript (depending on how the site is designed), but most internet users are not savvy enough to figure that out.

(and, Opera, the fact that you don't recognize "internet" as a word is hilarious. :lol: )

Might I point out that the error appeared on a test written by the Victorian department of Education and only used in Victoria.

Queensland isn't responsible! \ :D /

Victoria is a nanny state. They bring us up on B.I.P. and expect us to discover faster-than-light travel. When your teacher is walking fruit you can expect to end up with a double-digit IQ that you can't even subtract your age from. No wonder the country's so incompetent.

This would be funny if it was not part of such a horrible trend with the declining standards of education across the world. Look at Texas (creationism and Christian slant on social studies), California, New Jersey (high costs, low performance), and elsewhere.

--Ocram

bolshevikpodglaug.jpg

The plans for the Macross Zentoradi Tactical Pod mecha were clearly stolen from Japan by Bolshevik agents operating deep within the anime otaku fandom. Neither the Tsar's cossacks nor Kerensky's provisional duma ever had a chance. We can only hope that the KGB or the GRU did not further pass along the technical schematics of the SDF-1 to Communist China or North Korea.

Um... are you seriously suggesting that a private media companies attempt to extract revenue from a online news site is to fund a state government road tunnel? also, we already have dibs on the name clem jones tunnel up here in queensland.

I surely hope that is not the case. Such an action by a government is clearly ultra vires. The OZ equivalent of the government watchdogs should take them to court on this, for it is a slippery slope if they are on it.

• Original Poster
  • The Russian Revolution occurred in 1917 while Russia was involved in WW I against the Austro-Hungarian Empire. The word robot didn't enter the public consciousness until 1920 with the publication of Karel Capec's R.U.R. [ Rossem's Universal Robots ].

Whatever educational operation put that piece of fiction into the curriculum needs to be taken out behind the barn and taught not to lie, especially to students. There were no "robots" at that time except for perhaps some automated Jacquard looms and other factory equipment.

I don't know if I made it clear, or the article did, but the course does not teach anything about robots. However this mistake was a photoshopped image that VCAA (the education body) grabbed off the internet and used for purposes of the exam without checking.

How does something like this happen?

Overzealousness and ignorance.

I would put it down to poor investment in education, which means the time wasn't taken to properly devise a real test.

This would be funny if it was not part of such a horrible trend with the declining standards of education across the world. Look at Texas (creationism and Christian slant on social studies), California, New Jersey (high costs, low performance), and elsewhere.

--Ocram

Not quite. Whereas the education boards' stance on the teaching of Creationism is arguably down to delusion, ignorance and discrimination, this was just a rookie blunder that managed to slip through. However it is still a concern that a government body could get it wrong.

Also, last year at a school in Melbourne, students could not sit their English exam because their teacher/school had taught them the wrong work, none of which was examinable. Considering study guides for every VCE subject can be found online (and nothing can be examined if they are not on the study guide), how does that even happen?

When I was teaching, each course had an official outline with a set of learning goals. The learning goals were the examinable material. Both the professor and the students were given copies of these outlines. The professor was required to hand them out and keep them available for all students.

Quite often, reaching the described learning goals was not a straight line, with other things being prerequisite. It was the job of the professor to make sure that all prerequisites were either present or exposed during the course and that the learning goals were met. Low pass rates on a course got the professor interviewed, sometimes after the mid-terms. Quite often the prerequisites were the ability to write an intelligible sentence, and in computer courses, to demonstrate the construction of algorithms. I have had some students who were in the bone-head English course at the same time they were in one of my first year computer programming courses. Life can be interesting.

I surely hope that is not the case. Such an action by a government is clearly ultra vires. The OZ equivalent of the government watchdogs should take them to court on this, for it is a slippery slope if they are on it.

I guess I needed one of these guys at the end of my post: :uhm:

What he was saying is completely untrue, I was just trying to hammer home the point by explaining why its so silly.