Sign in to follow this  
Gabriel Lima

SimCity 3000 Revival Proposed

14 posts in this topic Last Reply

Good Night. I've been thinking in a plan to make a revival of SimCity 3000. The revival will be composed by cities and buildings made by the members of Simtropolis. The final objective of this revival is make a file with all the buildings and cities from the users, as an anthology of these files. I'll waiting your opinions and ideas.

Good morning. I think it will become a big project and probably, not really necessary. SC3000.com already exist and they do support SC3k players more than this site. So, because SC 3000.com is also the part of this site at this moment, I would recommend you to ask about SC3k there instead of the main ST site because this site support SC4 and CXL more than other games although some other games also discussed in the other games forum. Another that, what is the true objective of this program? Active SC3k players aren't few and they still play the game until now. So, the conclusion is I disagree with your idea.

Good morning. I think it will become a big project and probably, not really necessary. SC3000.com already exist and they do support SC3k players more than this site. So, because SC 3000.com is also the part of this site at this moment, I would recommend you to ask about SC3k there instead of the main ST site because this site support SC4 and CXL more than other games although some other games also discussed in the other games forum. Another that, what is the true objective of this program? Active SC3k players aren't few and they still play the game until now. So, the conclusion is I disagree with your idea.

This is where I seriously disagree (and facepalm). SC3000.com's City Centre is closed and does not accept new cities created by players. And there is serious lacking of a central file repository for all SimCity 3000 cities, maps and buildings. So the best thing to do now is to reopen SC3000's content acception, or as Gabe said, to make a collection of content from Simtropolis members, something like 4Ever Cities.

In short, I fully support Gabe's idea.

This is where I seriously disagree (and facepalm). SC3000.com's City Centre is closed and does not accept new cities created by players. And there is serious lacking of a central file repository for all SimCity 3000 cities, maps and buildings. So the best thing to do now is to reopen SC3000's content acception, or as Gabe said, to make a collection of content from Simtropolis members, something like 4Ever Cities.

If SC3000.com having some problems like that, then I agree with him as well.

However, if we want to add the SC3k section of this site, then we will need permission from Simtropolis staffs, I thought.

I don't know if it is necessary for a full revival of SC3000. However, I think it would be interesting if some of the buildings from SC3000 were BATed and posted on the STEX (if they haven't been already). I did enjoy playing SC3000, however I like SimCity 4 better (mainly because of the region play).

If you can find enough people who are interested, it would be a neat project. But I think a lot of people are like me: they think SC4 is the superior game and prefer to devote their time to it over its predecessor. It was a great game before SC4; it's simply been upgraded. Especially with the upcoming release of SC2013, I think you'll be hard pressed to gather together a substantial community of SC3K fans. Good luck anyway!

...SC3000.com's City Centre is closed and does not accept new cities created by players. And there is serious lacking of a central file repository for all SimCity 3000 cities, maps and buildings. So the best thing to do now is to reopen SC3000's content acception, or as Gabe said, to make a collection of content from Simtropolis members, something like 4Ever Cities.

I did say at the time I was setting up a download's area for the SC3 Unlimited files here

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/cbex

that I would be happy to include maps, etc

-catty

...SC3000.com's City Centre is closed and does not accept new cities created by players. And there is serious lacking of a central file repository for all SimCity 3000 cities, maps and buildings. So the best thing to do now is to reopen SC3000's content acception, or as Gabe said, to make a collection of content from Simtropolis members, something like 4Ever Cities.

I did say at the time I was setting up a download's area for the SC3 Unlimited files here

http://citybuilders....nlimited-Files/

that I would be happy to include maps, etc

-catty

The CityBuilders site is a good start. Hoping that more files will be contributed by many of the members here.

Anyway, Catty, on an unrelated note, is the TransAmerica Pyramid landmark still available?

...Anyway, Catty, on an unrelated note, is the TransAmerica Pyramid landmark still available?

From what I can find out, the Transamerica Pyramid was removed from the SC3K official downloads area due to legal issues (not sure what they were but I'm guessing copyright? maybe), so I don't have a copy of it and even if I did or we could get hold of it, the bottom line is, if EA Games had to remove it from their site then I'm not adding it to the city builders site.

But more than happy to add anything else that is legal and people are more than welcome on the forums, I have added a list of all the SC3K in-game buildings here

http://citybuilders.co.nz/index.php/forum/34-tutorials-and-technical-information/88-sc3000-unlimited-in-game-buildings

you need to be registered to see the forums and the post

-catty

From what I can find out, the Transamerica Pyramid was removed from the SC3K official downloads area due to legal issues (not sure what they were but I'm guessing copyright? maybe), so I don't have a copy of it and even if I did or we could get hold of it, the bottom line is, if EA Games had to remove it from their site then I'm not adding it to the city builders site.

The shape of the Transamerica Tower is the Transamerica company's logo, which of course is trademarked. They sent Maxis a cease and desist notice which Maxis complied with. Who knows how it would have gone in court.

According to Wikipedia, "over 50,000 buildings have been uploaded to the SimCity3000Unlimited web site at EA.com."

Since that site (http://simcity3000unlimited.ea.com/) is no longer online, are all of these uploads gone forever? Or did they get archived or moved somewhere else?

You can still see the old site on archive.org, but none of the downloads work.

Get it started... if there's enough interested generated.. who knows what can happen? :bunny:

Good to know ... Thanks

The shape of the Transamerica Tower is the Transamerica company's logo, which of course is trademarked...

Thanks I'll remember that if it ever comes up again

According to Wikipedia, "over 50,000 buildings have been uploaded to the SimCity3000Unlimited web site at EA.com."

Since that site (http://simcity3000unlimited.ea.com/) is no longer online, are all of these uploads gone forever? Or did they get archived or moved somewhere else?

You can still see the old site on archive.org, but none of the downloads work.

We have no idea what EA Games did with them or the SC4 plugins that also disappeared at the same time, we also lost the official landmarks that were available on each site, my site plus a couple of others have made sure you can still download the landmarks, etc, with the SC4 plugins a lot of them are also here on the STEX and remember you also have access to this site

http://www.sc3000.com/

Which is hosted by Simtropolis

-catty