Sign in to follow this  
lhrob

Zooming in and out causes game to crash

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Before I start systematically pulling files out of my plugins folder to troubleshoot this issue, I just want to first ask if anyone else ever has any problems with the game crashing to the desktop when trying to use a mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out? I can't tell if there is some sort of conflict with my mouse driver, or if maybe it's a file in my plugins folder...??....but it's happening very sporadically. Sometimes I can go for several hours without any problems...then the next thing you know, I try to zoom in or out with my scroll wheel, and the game locks up. Then it crashes to the desktop. Most of the time, however, it happens right after I load a city.

Any thoughts? If you need me to post my computer specs, let me know....but I really doubt that has anything to do with it. My computer is only 1 year old, and it's far more powerful than anything I used to play the game 8 years ago.

Thanks in advance.

Before I start systematically pulling files out of my plugins folder to troubleshoot this issue, I just want to first ask if anyone else ever has any problems with the game crashing to the desktop when trying to use a mouse scroll wheel to zoom in and out?

It's the game not being able to render stuff that "fast" or something like it, and given that SC4 is an incredibly old game, there's no way around it. Therefore, you don't wanna use the scroll wheel to zoom in and out; You instead wanna use the number keys 1 through 6, or rather, one level at a time.

I'm sure our resident moose will give a better explanation...

Hey there this happens to me all the time , i'd advise saving game frequently as to not lose much work . And Ganaram Inukshuk ; you hit it right on the head , that pretty much sums it up . Hope these tips help , good luck .

This is a regular problem for me also, I think having a lot of plugins also amplifys the problem a little (at least for me). Its just something I have had to get used to as others has said here the game is old and prob cant cope with fast rendering, I guess this is accurate as the problem is worse on my faster PC. Just quick save often ctrl+s.

Feel perfectly free to scroll using the wheel, but one click at a time, and wait for the redraw to finish. If you overload the game with too many commands (each click is a command), it just overflows its queue and dies. If you want to make a big zoom, use the numeric keys 1 - 5. 6 will pixelate as it was an add for UDI. Only five views exist for each building.

• Original Poster
  • I understand. I may just use the number keys anyway, because it happens even with just one click at a time on the scroll wheel. HOWEVER...my mouse is for c**ps anyway, and always does strange things even within regular web pages....double clicks when I didn't double click, releasing a click prematurely even though I didn't lift my finger, sometimes not registering clicks, etc. But that's a different subject for a different forum. Thanks!

I understand. I may just use the number keys anyway, because it happens even with just one click at a time on the scroll wheel. HOWEVER...my mouse is for c**ps anyway, and always does strange things even within regular web pages....double clicks when I didn't double click, releasing a click prematurely even though I didn't lift my finger, sometimes not registering clicks, etc. But that's a different subject for a different forum. Thanks!

Considering the cost of a new mouse, you might save yourself a lot of aggravation by giving the current one to the cat.

• Original Poster
  • Thanks. Might be the same problem I'mm running into. Thought it was the issue with some of the transit enabled plugins but this makes mores sense.

I have had some crashes due to that issue with the transit enabled plugins. I've learned the hard way to always save first before I do anything involving them. But I really think most of my crashes are related to zooming in and out.

Speaking of which......

Considering the cost of a new mouse, you might save yourself a lot of aggravation by giving the current one to the cat.

Funny you would say that. I had a dream about a cat last night. It kept looking up at me and meowing. Maybe the dream was telling me something, huh?

Anyway, now I'm not sure if it's the mouse or not. I've tried the keyboard shortcuts to zoom in and out, and twice last night the game crashed by simply using the number keys. I've noticed the hard drive chatters a slight bit before it happens, and then *BAM* - it's back to the desktop. I really really can't imagine it's the drive or memory, because I have no problems with any other games or programs.

The hard drive chatter may be the dump being written.

• How often do you clean out your Exception Reports folder? They are mostly useless.
    • How often do you run Disk Cleanup? Once a week is good for getting rid of junk files.
    • How often do you run Disk Defragmenter? SC4 really checker-boards disks. Once a week is kind of minimal.

All of these activities should run when the system is quiet with nothing else running, especially a browser.

NTFS does not clean itself up, at least as far as Windows 7. I don't know if they've fixed that on 8, it is certainly needed. When you save a city after working on it for a while your chances of creating a new set of overflow extents is pretty nearly 100%. If you have had a long session of play you should definitely run the defragmenter program.

These maintenance programs are accessed in Windows by right-click on the disk drive icon in My Computer. I think Disk Cleanup is on the first page of Properties and Disk Defragmenter is on the next one, or maybe they are on the same one, it has been about 10 years since I ran Windows (XP). gvfs (the Linux virtual file system) does its cleanup on the fly.

WARNING: If you have never run these programs and your machine has been in use more than a month, run each of these overnight. When they haven't been run for a long time, they take quite a while to complete. Watching these run is like watching paint dry, and you can't run anything that affects the disk while they are running. If you are on a laptop, be sure your AC adaptor is connected. :???: