Sign in to follow this  
Joronamo

Play SimCity4 without disc

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Making a copy of your own disk for personal use is perfectly fine, recalling a (Not so) thread. Joronamo did not indicate he torrented or otherwise stole the disk image. Lack of technical knowledge to actually mount it does not equate piracy.

Edit: Clarifying.

Making a Disc Image omitting everything other than the SafeDisc codes isn't illegal at all.

I actually use one myself mounted using Alcohol 52% which I've found hides itself more reliably than a lot of other Image Mounters and there are zero side-effects.

Sorry FYI I bought SimCity 4 deluxe so its legit. I am just sick of having to put the disc in and out of the drive.

Making a backup copy should be fine, I thought it wasn't but then i realized i remembered the wrong EULA (SCS techincally doesnt allow backup copies due to the EULA, SC4 does, EA has gotten stricter over the years)

If you happen to still have XP around Microsoft made a mounting tool that only ever worked on XP. It worked fairly well it was called winxpvirtualcdcontrolpanel its not on the offical microsoft site anymore as they ended xp support but i still have it lying around somewhere.

You can google for it but be careful when you download it, not all the sites that offer it have the best intentions (people like to create fake "offical microsoft" downlands but add viruses for the lolz)

You should look for Alcohol 52% and use it to make a virtual disk. You can then mount this, and it will work.

The other solution is to purchase the game on sale (you have to watch for these) on either Amazon or GamersGate. These sell the digital version that comes complete with all patches and runs without disks (1,1,641). The sale price has been $5. when offered.

SCS techincally doesnt allow backup copies

I can't think of a single person who would want to anyway.

Follow the advice above, Alcohol 52% should provide all the tools you need to make an MDS or MiniISO of the disc that can be mounted and SafeDisc will think is a genuine disc. You can safely store your Retail CD then.

You don't even need DaemonTools any more and really shouldn't use it because of all of its' issues.