5 posts in this topic Last Reply

Highlighted Posts

I have successfully installed SimCity 4 Deluxe on my laptop. I am running Windows 7. The game works fine, but whenever I try to save anything (BAT's, Mods) to the plugins folder, I get this error message!

"You don't have permission to save in this location. Contact the administrator to obtain permission.

Do you want to save in the [computer's name] folder instead?"

Apparently it's a bug with Windows 7...

Has anyone run into this issue??? HELP!!!

It's not a bug, it's a feature. :P

Run SC4 as an administrator, that'll allow you to save to the program files directory. If you don't know how to do that, ask Google.

• Original Poster
  • Forget it, I fixed it on my own. Know how? I did a complete factory reset of my computer. Lost everything. All my pics, movies, music, and I'm pretty sure my copy of Microsoft Office.

-So worth it

Yeah, completely unnecessary. Chances are, your installation of Windows is an OEM copy from a big manufacturer? Yeah... they come with some real weird permission sets. Best bet is to find explorer.exe and then set it to run with Administrator Permissions (What the retail versions of Windows do) which will allow you to copy into these directories.

Users are not supposed to install plugins in the Program Files set. Plugins are to be installed in C:\<user>\Documents\SimCity 4 or equivalent structure in the user area.

SC4 is a multi-user game in that more than one user on the same machine can run it. If you muck with the Program Files area every one who plays from his own ID will get your plugins. This is not very nice. Everyone should be able to select and install his own plugins in his own account.

I don't run windows, so my plugins are in /home/john/SimCity 4/Plugins. This is the Linux standard structure.

Edited by A Nonny Moose  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an Account  

Register a New Account

Sign In  

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By WeBuiltThisCityOnSimCity
        In one of my city avenue, there seems to be boxes along the way. 

I know it's because I'm lacking a dependency and it's probably about lights, but how do I fix this?
      • By JakeMD
        Saw something you liked in someone's screenshot but can't find it? Vaguely remember seeing something once, but you don't know where it is?
        Wondering whether or not a plugin of a certain type exists?
        This is the thread where you can ask for help finding things.
        When asking, please be as descriptive and specific as possible. This can help people to understand what you're looking for.
        If possible, screenshots are also encouraged.

This thread is a direct continuation of the original topic, which got too big. Someone might have already been looking for the same thing as you, so checking there first might get you your answer faster.

P.S. If you would like a particular BAT to be made, please request it in the BAT Request Thread.
      • By gobrowns
        When I load my city, I get an error for Ploppable RICO that says "The building has an incorrect ui-category." over and over. How do I avoid this? Thanks.
      • By jschlegel48
        Hi guys,
           Did you miss me? I know it's been awhile since I had any problems that forced me to ask you experts what to do as once those previous issues were resolved I've been happily playing the game.........until!
        I wanted a larger monitor (my poor old eyes aren't what they used to be), and due to other PC related hobbies I required multiple monitors (4 minimum). That's neither here nor there .....except.....
        I upgraded my video card, installing a gigabyte Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Lo and behold, there are no video drivers compatible for Windows 2003 (AKA XP).
        I've been forced to revert to getting the game to run under Windows 7 which I dreaded due to the problems that forced me to XP in the first place. (Did I say I was lazy and tend to take the easiest way out?)  So before installing SC4 back onto the E:\ drive under Win 7 I did some more searching and ran across a note explaining the game handled most new windows problems if one used a digital downloaded copy (i.e., stream, GOG, etc.). I jumped on the suggestion and downloaded a copy from GOG. Imagine my surprise and delight when the game opened without any problems whatsoever.
        Good to go, right?  Not so fast Kemosahbee. The obvious next step would be to install the latest NAM and move the plugins folder to the new drive. Reading the included "read-me" from NAM 3.5 (35?) downloaded games came pre-patched so there was no need to EA's patch files. The NAM installed without a hitch. I then created an identical My Documents folder on the E:\ drive and moved the plugins. However, the game won't point to the My Documents\plugins folder. I can load the plugins in the plugins folder under the game's installed directory (E:\program files (x86)\SimCity 4 deluxe edition (created when I installed to GOG game)\plugins and the game will recognize the files.
        Well, gee, I told myself.....self, you need the launcher program you used before, SC4 Launcher! Installed same. Now, I don't know if this is the problem or it has something to do with the main game exe file but...
        1.) I can't seem to get SC4L to save the plugins path. I manually changed the path in the LauncherPaths.dat file and SC4L will point to the proper path in the paths tab but no mods show in the mods path and the mods do not appear in the game.
        2.) If I try to change the path under the path tab, SC4L will not save the path and keeps reverting back to the C:\ drive. My C:\ drive is a SSD and is for the operating system only.
        Where do I go from here? Please, please don't tell me I need to reinstall all the plugins. They do work if I place them in the directory explained above but I always heard your external plugins belong in a "documents" folder, not the root SC4 folder.
        Gracious gurus, do have a very Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, etc., and a great and happy New Year. Thanks so very much for your assistance you've given all these years.
        P.S.  Operating System Windows 7 with all updates.
                PC  6 core AMD with 16GB RAM.
               Video card is described above and has 4GB memory.
               250 GB SSD for the operating system.
               2ea 1 TB hard drives internal and a 2 TB external drive.
               There is also a 250G internal hard drive running XP as the operating system with SC4 installed. That will come out, hopefully.
      • By rsc204
        I've just come across a post by @Reddonquixote over on SC4D, it would appear our problems with using BAT4Max on newer 3DS max releases are over. In one of the scripts is a reference to a function that was removed entirely from 3DS Max, it would appear that trying to call this function was causing the scripts to fail on newer 3DS Max releases.
        Now of course right now, this isn't hugely tested so I don't want to jump the gun, but it seems if 3DS 2017 works with this fix, then it should work for earlier affected versions, am I right in saying that's 2016, possibly 2015 too?
        Anyhow, all credit obviously goes to RDQ for finding this problem, but rather than everyone edit their scripts. I've made a patched file you can simply use to replace the one with the faulty reference (attached).
        Instructions (Readme included with fix also):
        Download/Install BAT4Max as usual Find the install location for the scripts included with BAT4Max
        Default = 3DS MAX INSTALL DIR\gamepacks\BAT\scripts Copy the included SF_LtbL_functions.ms file, overwriting the original
        Remember to backup the original (just in case), by copying/moving it elsewhere outside of the 3DS Max install path Lastly, if you've not already don't so, don't forget to also get the Gamma Fix for 3DS Max from here too: Disclaimer: I personally use 3DS Max 2011, so have no way of testing this fix. But it can't cause any harm, it either works or it doesn't. Worst case scenario, restore the original file and you are back to square one (i.e. it still doesn't work).
        Lastly, please can those who might make use of the patch confirm if it works and which version of 3DS Max they've applied the fix too. This will help greatly with troubleshooting the issue for other users and helping ensure 3DS Max can be used for batting models into the future.